911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The Wave

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022 | 01:56 AM
Reata1
Rennlist Member

We should reinstate this enthusiasm. I have, of late, been waving at other 911 drivers. Even though they may think I am not as cool as they are, I know we both love and appreciate the driving experience, even if they won't admit it..
Old 02-28-2022 | 03:31 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

It's called Esprit de Cours or spirit of the group ! Had since I had a Triumph in the seventies and eighties , not as much in Beamers in the nineties and always with air cooled early Porsches from eighties to present ..
oh and screw the Johnny come lately water cooled newbies they know no better haha Lol !
Old 03-01-2022 | 12:09 AM
ABAD911
Intermediate

Default Loving the Vida Porsche

I’m 49 years young. I’ve had more cars than I care to count.
First Porsche was a Cayenne S I bought in Colorado Springs in 2009.

then a 997.2 C2S Cab, later
2020 718 GT4, and now a 997.1 C4S.

One day, we might all grow up, can’t really say I’m looking forward to it…
Old 03-01-2022 | 09:36 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chamilka
Back in the days, Porsche people use to wave all the time. I don't see that anymore. There are lot of people who owns new P-cars now who are not car enthusiasts per say, for them these are just cool cars that allow them to go A to B in style
Agree with this comment. Up by me I get a occasional wave only. I ran into a 993 on the highway and passed him and the driver could not care any less for my G body 911 LOL
Old 03-01-2022 | 10:29 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wildcat077
I never got a thumbs up or wave from a newer "generic " 911 driver ...
Had my 911 at the local dealer to pick up some parts for my race car and two different "newer " car owners
walked by outside and didn't even look at my 89 or even acknowledge it was parked there, i couldn't believe it.

Anyhow, the crowd in the service area waiting room all have their polo blazers draped over their shoulders and seem to enjoy the
free complimentary fancy coffee and pastries.
Oh well ...

Cheers
Phil
these guys i intentionally stop and look at their cars as i know they are going to walk over to show me their prize. Then i casually ask , have you ever considered owning a 911 ? .

I seem to be the king of passive aggressive..
Old 03-01-2022 | 03:02 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Toodling around in my tangerine '69 911, I ALWAYS get waves, horn blasts, folks leaning out of their car to say how cool it looks. Especially from big-rig truckers. But hardly ever from Porsche drivers, regardless of the model or generation. I think 'The Wave' died long ago.
Old 03-01-2022 | 03:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by raspritz
Toodling around in my tangerine '69 911, I ALWAYS get waves, horn blasts, folks leaning out of their car to say how cool it looks. Especially from big-rig truckers. But hardly ever from Porsche drivers, regardless of the model or generation. I think 'The Wave' died long ago.
yeah i dont give or get, whatever..
air cooled are still somewhat special to see, but all other variants, there are millions of them, nothing special.

Last edited by theiceman; 03-01-2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2022 | 04:15 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
these guys i intentionally stop and look at their cars as i know they are going to walk over to show me their prize. Then i casually ask , have you ever considered owning a 911 ? .

I seem to be the king of passive aggressive..
yeah i dont give or get, whatever..
air cooled are still somewhat special to see, but all other variants, there are millions of them, nothing special.
have you ever considered owning a 911 ? . LMAO, I am going to use this line!!!

air cooled are still somewhat special to see, - Took one of my early aircooled to dealer for a front end alignment. When they pulled the car around to the front I saw several advisers and techs standing around the car. I thought it was weird as they have seen my cars before, I thought perhaps they hit something!! I asked the service manager what was up- he said, they all missed the smell of real exhaust- a little fuel and little oil some carbon and they all stood there taking it in before they want back in to work on the new stuff. Air cooled cars are special.
Old 03-02-2022 | 04:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Speedster911
have you ever considered owning a 911 ? . LMAO, I am going to use this line!!!

air cooled are still somewhat special to see, - Took one of my early aircooled to dealer for a front end alignment. When they pulled the car around to the front I saw several advisers and techs standing around the car. I thought it was weird as they have seen my cars before, I thought perhaps they hit something!! I asked the service manager what was up- he said, they all missed the smell of real exhaust- a little fuel and little oil some carbon and they all stood there taking it in before they want back in to work on the new stuff. Air cooled cars are special.
another good line i have used with water cooled guys is " if you want to hear what a 911 really sounds like i can start mine for you if you want ! ? "
Old 03-02-2022 | 07:58 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

another good line i have used with water cooled guys is " if you want to hear what a 911 really sounds like i can start mine for you if you want ! ? "
hopefully no v6 camry owners in the area hear your comments and begin a conversation regarding performance.
Old 03-03-2022 | 09:59 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
hopefully no v6 camry owners in the area hear your comments and begin a conversation regarding performance.
im not sure they have the wave either....

and like what i tell corvette owners.. " yeah my mom has a GM too. "

Last edited by theiceman; 03-03-2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-04-2022 | 11:42 AM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Someone will try and punch me in the mouth if I say that!!!~ But its a good one
Old 03-04-2022 | 12:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Speedster911
Someone will try and punch me in the mouth if I say that!!!~ But its a good one
But in all honestly the weird fact is for the Wonderful cars Modern Porsches are today .. a great deal of money and effort is spent to make them sound like their Air-cooled forefathers and not Like a Toyota Camry.
Old 03-04-2022 | 08:08 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Whenever I drive my 89 to work I invariably either get people wanting to talk to me at a traffic light, or on the highway I’ll be in the middle or right lane doing the speed limit or a bit over and someone in the left lane will approach at a much higher speed, then stay with me maybe 15 seconds then speed ahead. I finally figured out they were checking out the car. I’ve had multiple instances of offers to buy the car.
The following users liked this post:
Mlrjr (03-08-2022)
Old 03-04-2022 | 08:10 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

But in all honestly the weird fact is for the Wonderful cars Modern Porsches are today .. a great deal of money and effort is spent to make them sound like their Air-cooled forefathers and not Like a Toyota Camry.
My 981 Spyder has outrageous sound which amazes me that it’s an OEM exhaust. It’s that good. But as good as it is the air cooled engine sound is uniquely endearing. Modern Porsches are awesome but they don’t reproduce the air cooled magic.

Quick Reply: The Wave