Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1975 911S - Barney

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:02 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant really say at the moment. Fingers crossed it wont be...

Fuel lines are done. Just waiting on the gas tank internals to be cleaned out and coated as its been sitting in the mechanics w/o gas for so long.

So far i'm at about the $600 mark to get it on the rd. Will know more info next week!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Willie Bosch
Intermediate

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Wow. What a beauty. Thank you for sharing with us. My dream car would be a Aubergrine 911S. Would love to get it one day when my funds allow me to do so (which would probably be never) ... pending approval of my personal advisor aka Ed Hughes. Just love the layout of the interior..the dash, the steering wheel. Never heard the engine or driven one so can't comment on that. May be whalebird will eventually find one and pass it along to me when the time comes. I will pay asking price (or more for all the TLC that I know he will shower on that car of his). My only fear with the pre-SC/3.2 cars is if that I have read that ownership of the cars is frought with aggravation due to running costs/repairs. Tell me that it is not true.
woot that is not true IMHO. mine is a 77 and fuel injected, supposed to give more trouble than carbs. I will admit sometimes she does unexpected things like she doesn't want to start or misfires. but it's sorted out easily and fairly cheap.
My car is in South Africa and I think Americans and Europeans are extremely privileged to get lower prices for parts than we get.

For instance my car's warm up regulator is acting up...I have seen them advertised on a lot of sites in the states for $280 to $320 that's is cheap compared to the $600+ it's going to cost me to get a new one from the States or Europe because of our insane import taxes. (and there is no one that makes them here)

Even though prices are higher for me I still think maintaining her is cheaper than what everyone told me would be.

btw excuse me eng if the grammer is wrong it is my second language
Old 03-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

But it is all relative. Pre-Motronic cars have a lot more links in the chain to break. Some are really hard to find and/or expensive. Good example: we don't have a $300 or 600 WUR. Yes, 3.2's aren't totally bulletproof, and some parts common to all 911's are rare or expensive. Again, it's all relative.

Originally Posted by Willie Bosch
woot that is not true IMHO. mine is a 77 and fuel injected, supposed to give more trouble than carbs. I will admit sometimes she does unexpected things like she doesn't want to start or misfires. but it's sorted out easily and fairly cheap.
My car is in South Africa and I think Americans and Europeans are extremely privileged to get lower prices for parts than we get.

For instance my car's warm up regulator is acting up...I have seen them advertised on a lot of sites in the states for $280 to $320 that's is cheap compared to the $600+ it's going to cost me to get a new one from the States or Europe because of our insane import taxes. (and there is no one that makes them here)

Even though prices are higher for me I still think maintaining her is cheaper than what everyone told me would be.

btw excuse me eng if the grammer is wrong it is my second language
Old 03-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Nate2046
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 97 Posts

WOW! What a great find! That looks like a pretty minty car under a layer of dust. Aubergine is such a great vintage color. I'm also a recent convert with a JDM past (GSR, NSX, FD) and also a bought a mid-year (74). I absolutely love the car.

For everyone else out there avoid the midyear (74-77) cars! They are horrible, unreliable junk! Why else would the prices be so low? You'll be much happier paying 4-10x as much for a longer hood! Stay away
Old 03-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate2046
WOW! What a great find! That looks like a pretty minty car under a layer of dust. Aubergine is such a great vintage color. I'm also a recent convert with a JDM past (GSR, NSX, FD) and also a bought a mid-year (74). I absolutely love the car.

For everyone else out there avoid the midyear (74-77) cars! They are horrible, unreliable junk! Why else would the prices be so low? You'll be much happier paying 4-10x as much for a longer hood! Stay away
Or not much more for a 3.2......
Old 04-01-2011, 04:35 AM
privatepang
Advanced

Well seeing as its been a while. Grimace has been at the Scan automotive for the last couple of weeks. Bit of progress. Went today to check it out and it was the first time i got to see it properly in the sun! Hmm so got the fuel tank reconditioned as the internal was all rusted out. Got it all coated and rust repaired so its pretty much as new now. Fuel lines had to be redone as the existing lines went to mush after years of just sitting there. Props to Scan for great service. James always keeps me up to date and has been very imformative honest about everything.

Heard a few days ago that the car RUNS!! Desperately needs a valve adjustment + change of fluids but it actually cranks and idles (roughly). Im relieved as a engine rebuild woulda cost me big $$!

A few pics :

Engine bay was cleaned out a bit. I'll clean it up better when i get her back

Looks much better in the sun!

Pretty low for stock!

Last edited by privatepang; 04-01-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:55 AM
shadopadla
Advanced

looks great and congrats on Porsche ownership! The classics always demand respect :-)
Old 04-01-2011, 01:32 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Turns out tires on the car are from the 1980's so went shopping for some 15" tires here and realised you can't get anything all that decent in the size! So I jumped on pelican and found a nice set but shipping to Canada is annoying so luckily checked craigslist and got a great deal on these 16" fuchs. Tried to verify that they were genuine and found the serial number 911361020 44 which a few posts on pelican identified as being the real deal. To be honest, i was hoping to get some original looking fuchs(without powdercoat) but at the price i picked them up for, can't really argue. Just imagining them on Grimace and think it'll look good.

Used to transporting 18's/19's so awesome that all 4 rims can fit in the trunk!

16 x 7 fuchs powdercoated black. Weighed them and they came in at 5kg each!

Thinking of putting direzza dz101's on them. Not bad, tirerack has em for $88 a pop. Need to put all my funds towards getting the car to run well before I even think about mounting em so may be a while for pics of these fitted! Biggest concern for the wheels are they i'll have to roll the fenders/lips but hopefully they'll fit. Think my car is slightly lowered (maybe euro height?) so that may cause additional issuse. We'll see.

Last edited by privatepang; 04-01-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:34 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Originally Posted by shadopadla
looks great and congrats on Porsche ownership! The classics always demand respect :-)
Thanks mate. Appreciate it!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:34 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Those 16x7's should fit ok on your car without rolling the fenders if you use a maximum of 205/50's or 205/55's. Love that Aubergine color. Try to resist selling the original wheels as I believe original stock midyear cars will someday be worth something and you may want to return it to stock...............
Old 04-02-2011, 01:48 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

i have 7 by 16s on my car with no issues .. will provide tire sizes tomorrow
Old 04-02-2011, 10:19 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

205/50 or 55 all around should work. Certainly keep the 15s. I myself like the 15s with 205/60s all around.
May I suggest, at least for now, blocking off the big round "hole" coming off the driverside fanshroud behind/above the distrubutor - great big "coolant" leak. It would normally provide airflow for the heater fan located further forward and above in the engine compartment - driver side.
I think it's a good idea to investigate the injection system properly to make sure everything is working well. Yes, you may need a few things, but CIS injection is wicked reliable and will work for a LONG time without anything really.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Great color!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Marc Bixen
Intermediate

I beiieve it's a Momo, from what I remember the Personal had a raised embossed Personal emblem on the lower spoke that would be easily recognizable.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:55 PM
kirallahi
Intermediate

congrat for your car.
i recently visited your region ,vancouver /whistler,and it look like so depress in winter...good luck.im a new owner too in ottawa region.

Quick Reply: 1975 911S - Barney