Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

need help 911 engine/suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 07:30 PM
speednut567
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post need help 911 engine/suspension

I need help choosing which 911 engine and suspension to used in a Porsche 356 replica I am considering to be custom built by Intermeccanica. I don’t have any experience with older Porsches and all I know I have learned by reading over the last two weeks. Any help would be appreciated

Background: This will be a daily driver (no track use) to be used by both my wife and I. My wife has some arthritis and we would like a tiptronic. She thinks she will also need PS and PB, but I have been told they are not necessary in a car this light (about 2,400 lbs.). PS and PB are still a question? We are looking
for a set up that will not just be fast, but will be easy to drive fast i.e great handling but also predictable handling. Previous cars were a 1999 Porsche 996 with tiptronic and 1995 BMW M3. These are the standard which we would like to come close to handling wise. (We also owned a 2000 M roadster that handled like a POS). Performance should be faster than a standard corvette (0-60 less than 5 sec. and top speed at least 170 mph.).

Issues: Engine- Based on power to weight calculations for corvette, I estimate I need a minimum 250 hp. I also want a lot of torque and a wide power band. From what I can tell the “best” engine would be a 993 3.6 engine with Varioram. But I have concerns that this may be more than I need with unnecessary cost , though I was told by someone that all rebuilt 911 engines will cost about the same ($15,000?).The extra cost could come from complicated engine install? From a simplicity standpoint (and possibly budget) I wonder if a 3.2 motronic with upgrades like twin ignition, chip, air flow improvements, performance exhaust would be better? Any thoughts about which approach is most practical? Will a tiptronic hook to the 3,2?Also looking for limited slip.

Suspension: It appears that the 993rear multilink suspension and front and rear coil over is a preferred suspension over the previous trailing arms and torsion bars. But I don’t know yet if this will fit the car (still have to talk to builder ). Can the old suspension be tuned to handle like I want with upgraded torsion bars, sway bars, etc.? I plan to use 17” Boxster wheels with 245 or 255/40 in back and 225/45 in front. I was told that standard mid 80’s Carrera brakes would be adequate for this light car. But I would like ABS and assume that I would need a later set-up for that?

A big concern of ours is the so called “tail happy” nature of the older Porsches. I read that this is not an issue with a properly set up chassis, as long as you stay away from the cars handling limit (then it can bite without warning). If this is the case I don’t have a problem, as we would not be pushing the limit (assuming it has high limits), but is this an issue in emergency handling (i.e. swerving to miss a dog in the road)?

Based on what I am trying to accomplish, what is the most practical from an initial and ongoing cost, reliability, maintenance standpoint? Cost is an issue, if it is too high we will buy a new M3, but sure would like the unique Porsche.Thanks

Steve
Old 12-26-2002, 11:31 PM
Jim Florance
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I remember, Intermecanicana uses VW Beetle pans for their replica cars. I would love to have the car you are describing but believe it would probably be cost prohibitive to build. In order to use 993 type suspension and a tiptronic transmission or the front end of an older torsion bar 911 a lot of modifications will be required. It would probably be cheaper to have a custom chassis built that incorporated coil over double wishbone suspension such as the suspension used on street rods. retrofitting a VW chassis to accomodate 993 suspension pick-up points and a 3.2 Motronic w/ aTiptronic gear box is going to be a bear to fabricate and I would think would be much more expensive. Without extensive re-enforcement,it it also would not be nearly as rigid as a purpose built custom chassis.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:35 AM
Cary
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool idea on the rear, however, I wouldn't use the 993 front. Either stay with the standard or go with the 911 because the 993 front really doesn't work all that well. I've done a bunch of different combination with the 993 and it's a great peice to work with pretty easy to trans plant to most chassis.

Now heres the hard part. The 993 rear is about 3 inches wider on each side compared to a 911 (6 inches over all) I think the brake rotor might stick out past the body work. If you us a 6 cylinder you can't really move the carriers in any closer because they'll hit the engine.

Again, great idea but, lots to consider.

Quick Reply: need help 911 engine/suspension