Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

update questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 06:14 PM
RSimprsntr
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post update questions

Hello everyone, I am a new poster to this board, though I have watched from the sidelines for quite a while. I purchased a 1970 911E recently, and I will be restoring to a RS lookalike.(well almost) My question is, it comes with a 2.2 motor that I would like to modify internally (increase disp., cams, etc..) Can anyone give me ideas on what can be done and what can't be done (or is not cost effective) Thanks in advance Mike
Old 12-26-2002, 11:57 PM
Jim Florance
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello: I'm involved in a similar project except I started with an "S" I decided to go with a 2.7 case ( sold my motor for 4000.00 to a guy putting it in a 914-6) I increased the displacement to 2.9 using new Mahle Pistons and Barrels. I had the heads ported and installed bigger valves. Used Porsche C6 Cams, I had the crank straightened, balanced, micro-polished the bearing surfaces and had the counterweights knife-edged to decrease crankcase windage, installed Carillo rods, had the case shuffle pinned, installed a Turbo oil pick-up and pump, Used a crank-fire ingition system, and used PMO (Webber) 46 carburators. I also went with an MSD ignition system. I wanted to go with twin plug heads but my tech told me the mod was expensive and only bought an additional 2-3 hp. but would allow the use of 91octane gas at a higher compression ratio. I ended up with a 10.5/1 compression ratio and the motor runs fine on pump gas. I also switched from a 901 transmission to a short ratio 915 gear box with a 930 Turbo clutch with a light weight fly wheel. The motor dyno'd at a little over 280 hp and cost me about 12,000. The motor and trans are still out of the car(I'm doing some chassis and suspension work right now) and can't wait to get it on the road!!! The set-up goes in much easier than I thought, All I had to do was pound out the dome between the rear seats to buy a little more room for the longer gear box. I went with a bumper mounted oil cooler (like the real RS). When I checked out re-building my 2.2 to a 2.7 (the largest I was told I could go with that case) the cost was about the same as what I ended up doing. I went with webers instead of fuel injection because I had webers on my previous motor and had no trouble with them for the 3years I've owned the car as my daily driver and figured why switch with a good thing. Please let me know the path you take, I'm interested in all things related to the venerable RS and all its varients
Old 12-27-2002, 03:36 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by RSimprsntr:
<strong>Hello everyone, I am a new poster to this board, though I have watched from the sidelines for quite a while. I purchased a 1970 911E recently, and I will be restoring to a RS lookalike.(well almost) My question is, it comes with a 2.2 motor that I would like to modify internally (increase disp., cams, etc..) Can anyone give me ideas on what can be done and what can't be done (or is not cost effective) Thanks in advance Mike</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Mike:

You'll get a lot of input and your budget will ultimately define what you do, but you cannot go wrong with a 2.7 or 2.8 RS clone and a close-ratio gearbox.

You'll need to upgrade the suspension & brakes to suit, regardless.

That combo in these early light cars has to be experienced to be believed.

Some guys install a 3.2 or 3.6 but that's a whole different dimension and those conversions sound, feel and perform very differently. Doing these properly is NOT cheap.

You should figure out what you want to use your car for and what you like. Then you can plan a realistic budget to accomplish those goals.

Quick Reply: update questions