Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rusty '70 911S: Need Help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 10:51 PM
Jim Florance
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Rusty '70 911S: Need Help!!!!!!!

I am in the process of building converting my 911S into a race Vehicle. I spent last week gutting the interior to install a "Weld-in" Roll Cage. When I pulled the carpet and padding out and found a large fiberglass patch behind the Driver's seat and a large hole in the driver's side Seat Pan. After uncovering this problem was found, I decided to grind off all the undercoating under that part of the car. The Previous owner did a really good job of piling on a lot of extra undercoating. unfortunately, he did it to hide existing rust. the sheet metal frame piece that the torque tube passes through and the swing arm attaches to is riddled with rust and needs total replacement. I found and purchased this piece, the rear floor pan and the inner rocker pannel from Pelican Parts. and am on my way to cutting the rusted parts out and welding in the new pieces. The torque tube is sound but the rear seat pan is not. I can not find this sheet metal new any where. Does any one have any idea where I can get a new rear seat pan? I would like to find a later model version as I am upgrading from a 901 to a 915 transmission and would like to save the effort of beating the center area out to allow the additional space required for the 915 gear box. If the sheet metal is not available new, is there a wrecker that would cut it out of another car for me? Or, is my only option to pound out raw sheet metal to the proper shape and fit and weld my own patch pieces in? I've already purchased all the suspension pieces, built a 2.9L motor and done a lot of other work and want to save this car so another shell really is not an option. If any one has some guidence on this, I would really appreciate it.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:26 AM
wit61
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried <a href="http://www.restoration-design.com" target="_blank">Restoration Design</a>
Old 12-27-2002, 09:38 AM
awis321
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Same EXACT story with my 70T except mine extended all the way to the rear package tray. With the seatbuckets I've found no one makes replacement panels. I ended up buying an early 80's rearseat clip from a private seller, I think I paid $300. An added bonus was the wider center hump.
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (10-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Rusty '70 911S: Need Help!!!!!!!