Purchase advice on 89 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:34 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Purchase advice on 89 911

Hey guys,

I came across an 89 GrandPrix White - I am on the fence but wanted to get your feedback

- Miles 90k
- Seller Purchased from original owner from NY and shipped to CA last year
- Distress seller (according to him)
- Seller was Porsche mechanic
- Oil looked clean - Did not ask oil consumption yet.
- Carfax clean
- No paperwork
- Engine runs fine, no smoke, no clicking noise
- Clutch fine
- Some cosmetic work (dents and some interior work) but nothing major
- No leaks
- Fuchs have rash and might need refinishing
- No rust

I have read the differences and upgrades that the 89s have and think this might be a good addition to the family.

He is at $14k range on the car now and I know seems as a good deal. I am willing to take in a "minor" project and if I can get for a few less I might take the risk assuming my PPI comes ok. So the questions I have are:

- Shall I try to get it for less? What price point shall I shoot for?
- Will this hurt me in resale if I have no paperwork history?
- Shall I worry about a top end rebuilt? I heard if engine was taken care of it is needed at 150k miles, right?

Not sure if I missed something but any advice is appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old 02-14-2011, 03:56 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Well, it is a G50 and despite the fact that a good 915 is not bad, a G50 is still a better transmission in many respects ASSUMING it is in good condition. A G50 is (more) expensive to fix.

A solid '89 at $14K sounds good on the face of it, but a lot will really depend on the true condition. Cosmetic issues are hard to judge in print. If you want the car looking really good, then consider that the cosmetic stuff can take a lot of coin to get right.

Important stuff to look for:

PPI leakdown and compression - you want to see a motor that does need a top end now.

Rust: It looks rust-free, which is great, but make sure a thorough inpsection is carried out anyway. Be particularly careful on the battery area. An otherwise perfectly rust-free car may have issues lurking here.

Suspension: Likely all rubber bushings etc. are due. This is something you might want to budget for after purchase.

Depending on how that all looks, this could be a good buy. If you can get clear pictures, post them here and we can help pick it apart!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:21 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for feedback

I will use these tips to check out car and see what happens. I hope things check out OK.

Cheers
Old 02-14-2011, 08:25 PM
yumyum1667
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds promising. Make sure the AC works properly. They can be a little expensive to fix which is true for any car.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

90K is nothing. Sounds promising if compression is good. Is there a recent smog test report? Has it passed Calif smog and registration?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:41 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rusnak
90K is nothing. Sounds promising if compression is good. Is there a recent smog test report? Has it passed Calif smog and registration?
Yes to the smog test and registration.

I will be making a decision in the next few days if I should pursue the car. He is open for a PPI at a dealer or Indy so that makes me feel confident that he is not hiding anything on the car.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:02 PM
TRG1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

francars--If this car passes a PPI and has no "hidden" problems, you are purchasing the car under
market value. Just because the seller is open to a PPI, and this makes you feel confident that nothing is amiss--still you must place yourself in the position of knowledge by going ahead and having the PPI performed. Don't generalize and don't assume--but instead adopt Reagan's famous line- "Trust-but verify"
Old 02-15-2011, 03:02 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by 500_19B
Important stuff to look for:

PPI leakdown and compression - you want to see a motor that does need a top end now.
What numbers warrant a rebuild?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:30 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd make sure the ppi includes a careful examination of the chassis for ancient repair - & that the guy doing it is expert in old 911 chassis issues - an '89 has 22 yrs of history. also, remind the inspector to examine closely for exposure issues - corrosion on exposed metal / fixtures / hardware underneath. signs of past dampness invading the chassis, underhood, underlid, interior. underused / exposed cars from the NE that appear fantastic (on their surfaces) can have issues that are not-so-common among the examples W Coast guys are accustomed to seeing. have fun & good luck!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:51 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I believe generally leakdown values less than 10% across all cylinders are considered fine. When I had mine done, they were all less than 4%, which the mechanic noted was very good.

Compression I am a little more uncertain about, but numbers ~160 to 180 psi on a U.S. 3.2 seem to be about right. Maybe someone can give a better answer here.

Not only are the absolute numbers important, but also the consistency between cylinders.

Compression test results can be altered by squirting oil into the cylinders (which will bump up the numbers) and both tests should give different numbers between a cold and warm engine. There are various schools of thought on the "best practices" for this test.

I would find a reputable, independent shop to do the test that REALLY knows 911s and pay close attention not just to the numbers, but also the mechanic's comparative opinion.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:53 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the opinions on subject. So are you guys saying NOT to take it to dealer? I know the Service Manager (who owns an earlier Aircooled as well) so he knows the cars.

My other option is take it to my Indy who LOVES Aircooled. Reason why I am using the dealer is that PPI is same amount (~$300ish) as Indy and the seller knows the Service Manager.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 500_19B
I believe generally leakdown values less than 10% across all cylinders are considered fine. When I had mine done, they were all less than 4%, which the mechanic noted was very good.

Compression I am a little more uncertain about, but numbers ~160 to 180 psi on a U.S. 3.2 seem to be about right. Maybe someone can give a better answer here.

Not only are the absolute numbers important, but also the consistency between cylinders.

Compression test results can be altered by squirting oil into the cylinders (which will bump up the numbers) and both tests should give different numbers between a cold and warm engine. There are various schools of thought on the "best practices" for this test.

I would find a reputable, independent shop to do the test that REALLY knows 911s and pay close attention not just to the numbers, but also the mechanic's comparative opinion.
I had my motor done right before Sebring. A 165, A 175, and the rest 170's. 2% Leakdown.

Most Porsche dealers don't know a lot about the older cars let alone a PPI on one.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:07 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER

Most Porsche dealers don't know a lot about the older cars let alone a PPI on one.
I totally agree. Doesn't mean ANY, just MOST. It's a profit driven business, and the older cars don't derive a lot of profit.

I'd go for the guy who has the most knowledge and experience, no matter who or where. He's the one who will best be able to give you good counsel, and even then it's not like a Good Housekeeping seal of approval. It comes down to experience. The more of it, the better. Caveat Emptor.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TRG1
francars--If this car passes a PPI and has no "hidden" problems, you are purchasing the car under
market value.
Maybe not. As 500 points out, a paint job alone for a 911 isn't cheap. You can spend $5K in an instant for a non-show quality job. He says "dentS", which got my antenna up.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:25 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

East coast car, dents, you are "on the fence"....

Keep looking.

BTW, it's great having an air-cooled and a water-cooled. Nice "dilemma" to have every day.

Quick Reply: Purchase advice on 89 911