Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1977 911T vs 1984 911 Carrera vs 2003 BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:29 AM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 911T vs 1984 911 Carrera vs 2003 BMW M3

Having an urge to spend money I don't really have. Of the three cars above, which one do you think you would get and for how much?

I'm looking for practical, rentention in value and minimal maintenance (though I know all three will require maintenance, so relative).

2003 BMW M3 would be the most practical as it is newer and for transporting kids and groceries. Also less "attention grabbing".

However, really like another Porsche. Call me lazy... Is there someone who can give me a quick comparison (pro and con) between the 1977 and 1984? Or a link they have handy?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2011, 01:07 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Admirable choices.

I have an '84 Carrera and an '00 M5. I really enjoy owning and driving my 911 (Porsche #6 of 7 owned) but my M5 has been my daily driver for the last 10 years. It's fast, has great brakes, comfortable, and stealthily hauls my family of five. It draws no attention except for the minimalized exhaust system - my 930-driving neighbor says the M5 sounds like German NASCAR. I get 19mpg and it's been inexpensive so far to run. If I ever have to replace it, I would get a V8 M3 or a modern Carrera 4S.

An '03 M3 would be good a great car, but BMW had suspended making four-doors back then, didn't they? Plus you could probably get an M5 of the same vintage for roughly the same money.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:48 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

This is a valuable reference that will help you.

The Used 911 Story, by Peter Zimmermann

http://www.amazon.com/Used-911-Story...7532882&sr=8-1
Old 02-12-2011, 02:05 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove the 78 'SC for a few months while I worked on my '84. Huge, huge difference in feel. Way more torque in the 3.2. The '84 is much faster, accelerates smoother, and more civil around town and on the freeway it pulls away from traffic better than the 78.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:35 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you mean a 77 turbo, or Targa? No comparison between either 77 and an 84. Well there is a ton of comparisons to be made, but for your purposes the 84 is a MUCH better choice. M3 is a neat little car, but there are tons of neat little cars...maybe a Hyundai Genisis turbo.
have you looked at any Boxster "S"s ?
Old 02-12-2011, 04:02 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
I drove the 78 'SC for a few months while I worked on my '84. Huge, huge difference in feel. Way more torque in the 3.2. The '84 is much faster, accelerates smoother, and more civil around town and on the freeway it pulls away from traffic better than the 78.
I must have a good one. No 3.2's pull on me
Old 02-12-2011, 05:01 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hahaha, Muss you have a Turbo, you cheater!!!

I guess I don't understand the premise of comparing a 3.2 with a 4 door seater. I'm assuming we're not talking M3 sedan here.

Edit: I should clarify that there is also a huge difference between an early vs. late SC in the North American market. The compression was bumped, and lamda control added, as well as the air pump was eliminated. The compression increase along with the already high flowing heads made a big difference in torque, fuel mileage, and drivability. Not much difference between say an '83 and '84.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
hahaha, Muss you have a Turbo, you cheater!!!

I guess I don't understand the premise of comparing a 3.2 with a 4 door seater. I'm assuming we're not talking M3 sedan here.

Edit: I should clarify that there is also a huge difference between an early vs. late SC in the North American market. The compression was bumped, and lamda control added, as well as the air pump was eliminated. The compression increase along with the already high flowing heads made a big difference in torque, fuel mileage, and drivability. Not much difference between say an '83 and '84.
Nien Nien Nien! Turbo look update. Just a lowly E class SC motor
Old 02-12-2011, 07:36 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

huge difference in the choices. i think it depends on what you're looking for in an 'extra' car. Just my 2 cents:

fun, quick, (relatively) impractical car with good resale value.....911.

fast, practical, modern car with average resale value and a lack of soul (compared to air cooled 911)....M3 (i've had several E36 M3s so I don't think i'm biased against them)
Old 02-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Not to be a jerk, but this is a silly question to ask.

1. None of us know what floats your boat when behind the wheel.

2. The M3 may be more "dependable" but when it breaks, it will get expensive. Probably not DIY friendly.

3. Either of the Porsches are easy to work on, the '84 being more bulletproof.

4. My '84 is faster than my '95.

5. Save your money for gasoline and higher taxes.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:48 AM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Not to be a jerk, but this is a silly question to ask.

1. None of us know what floats your boat when behind the wheel.

2. The M3 may be more "dependable" but when it breaks, it will get expensive. Probably not DIY friendly.

3. Either of the Porsches are easy to work on, the '84 being more bulletproof.

I know it is a silly question to ask but have been thinking about it for awhile and can't decide. It's like a kid in a candy store and can't figure out what candy to choose, just want everything.

Initially, I was looking at the M3 coupe as a DD in the summer and good winter days, have the 996 C4 Cab for summer fun and a Honda Odyessy for winter snow. I am not handy with DIY so maintenance will cost anyways.

With the 77 targa, I believe the cost of purchase will be the lowest of the three, but not sure if I will drive it in the winter but they look very nice. You know the Porsche commercials about a little kid wanting a Porsche, much like that with the 77. However, I think I prefer a coupe to a targa.

So a 1984 Carrera gets spotted and looks great too for a little more money, will I drive this as a DD, maybe not... Back to the M3?

What floats my boat? I haven't really driven a M3 yet, but my dream car has always been the Porsche. It's only a car, drive it philosophy is true but sometimes if you are too attach to something it pains to see it harmed by the "elements", such as other humans, yourself and nature. I'm sure a lot can relate and therefore the debate of driving the most you can out of a car and enjoy or preserve and treat it as a luxury on the times you drive it.

I am also considering a 912 but then I'll have two toys and will drive a van most days.

Thanks for listening... Decisions decisions

Maybe, pick #5 save money for gas and taxes!!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:12 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

just a comment on the "DIY friendliness" of the M3. The only reason that applies is because of the complex nature of multiple computerized systems. However, it still needs all the usual maintenance including fluid changes, brake pad changes, and valve adjustments (which are quite a bit easier to access than an air cooled 911.)

IMHO if you're not one to get your hands greasy, a more modern M3 if well maintained should have less maintenance issues for a longer period of time than an older air cooled 911
Old 02-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
just a comment on the "DIY friendliness" of the M3. The only reason that applies is because of the complex nature of multiple computerized systems.
That is my point, and with that come more complexity.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:21 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

yes, E46 has even more computer systems than the E36 from my understanding.

that is the nice thing about my 78 SC.....electrically and mechanically it's fairly simple
Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by UberXY
Plus you could probably get an M5 of the same vintage for roughly the same money.
E46 M3 is a better car than an E39 M5, I've had both. They are about the same speed, m3 brakes and handles better, and the interior is more modern. The E39 obviously has more room, and slightly nicer interior accoutrements (especially with extended leather), but thats about it.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes

2. Since when are air cooled parts inexpensive? The Porsche parts, in my experience, are more expensive and take longer to get.

4. And how much have you spent on modifications for the 84? I believe just the motors alone were nearly $20k, right?

The M3 is a much more modern car with performance that far exceeds either p-car. Its simply a question of how much performance you are willing to give up for the soul, look, and feel of the porsche. Given that the first thing he mentioned was practicality, I question if a 25 to 30 year old porsche is the way to go.

Quick Reply: 1977 911T vs 1984 911 Carrera vs 2003 BMW M3