Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1977 911T vs 1984 911 Carrera vs 2003 BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by hopeforcash
A white 1988 911 Targa just caught my eye. Again , keep cash, M3 or a 1988 911 targa? Decisions ... Decisions!

Spring coming and I'm sure more choices coming !

Briefly researching and the 1988/89 911s are more dependable than the 70s and early 80s?

Another factor in the decison is the kids do NOT like the M3 (cosmetic only as they are too young to drive)
'88/89 cars are no more "dependable" than the '84-87's. Don't know where you're getting your info. Then, those are only a bit more dependable than the 78-83 SC's, and that is only my opinion due to CIS requiring more attention. Then before '76 you get into possibly more rust potential, etc, etc. Hang on to your cash and buy some of the books normally recommended for research.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:33 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will contend that the 78-83 SC is one of, if not THE, most reliable platforms Porsche ever assembled. The later motronic injection was proven technology at the time and only continued the high standard of service 911s are famous for. Yes, they may require a periodic adjustment, but with the right equipment(any good Porsche shop will have)it's a ten minute process that should be a part of every major service once a year or so.
Like Ed says, read. You will know when you want(need) a 911.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:10 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Imo, the SCs had more development than the 3.2, at least to the engine. So a 78 and 83 have more differences than a 84 and 89, G-50 trans not withstanding. I think an 83 sc is almost impossible to kill off.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:45 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brief research was reading the Peter Zimmerman book as recommended by a few others. I'm also going with the assumption and general opinion of newer the better because of refinements? Guess each their own.

Rather than start another thread, what do you think about the value of the 80s to 90s 911 in say, 5 years and take into consideration extra maintenance required as compared to a more modern car with less maintenance and more depreciation.

More to my indecision and as mentioned before the unnecessary need for a third car, the Audi S4 entered my thoughts. I'm looking at the cars in the high teens to very low twenties only. Considerations to "fun" to drive, residual value and maintenance costs.

The M3 and S4 are in the years 2002-2004 with about 100,000 to 150,000kms (is this a good/fair estimate?) versus good condition 911s in the same price range. Kids seems to like the more current cars (since they are kids) and the more modern ones have the interiors much nicer.

Any opinions?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Any opinion on what will happen to car values in the next 5 years, based on what is going on in the world is not worth the electrons it is "printed on" here.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:22 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

My friend, I don't think you/your kids are ready for a classic 911 as of yet. You are not convinced that the interior will appeal to you leave alone the usually most disappointing part of these cars the HVAC system. These cars are a joy to own and maintain ONLY if you are into (and cherish) what this car is all about: The absolute delight of the air-cooled engine soundtrack with the torque building eagerly and linearly, primeval feel of torsion bar suspension, history behind the Fuchs wheels, right-centric foot pedals, aviation type instrument gauges ...

These are not collectibles. Expect a well sorted car to not depreciate any further. Running costs can vary. Yes they are usually very reliable, almost bullet proof but things could go wrong..sometimes really bad. When that happens, it will cost you $$$. Then after all that what will remain is a car that you will still absolutely love, one that stirs your emotions. This makes the wounds (from your wallet bleeding) heal faster.

I am really sorry, I have never ever driven a BMW or Audi, but you can't compare the charm of a classic 911 to any other car...Period. Yes we are all car lovers in this forum but when one says that they are in the market for a classic air-cooled 911 and also any other car.... then I don't think a 911 is for you. This is my honest opinion. I really don't want to come across as someone who is insulting of your intelligence or interests.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:35 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Edit the grammatical mistakes as I am typing from a I-phone.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Words of wisdom from Amar.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:57 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Thank you Mr. Mentor.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:50 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
My friend, I don't think you/your kids are ready for a classic 911 as of yet. You are not convinced that the interior will appeal to you leave alone the usually most disappointing part of these cars the HVAC system. These cars are a joy to own and maintain ONLY if you are into (and cherish) what this car is all about: The absolute delight of the air-cooled engine soundtrack with the torque building eagerly and linearly, primeval feel of torsion bar suspension, history behind the Fuchs wheels, right-centric foot pedals, aviation type instrument gauges ...

These are not collectibles. Expect a well sorted car to not depreciate any further. Running costs can vary. Yes they are usually very reliable, almost bullet proof but things could go wrong..sometimes really bad. When that happens, it will cost you $$$. Then after all that what will remain is a car that you will still absolutely love, one that stirs your emotions. This makes the wounds (from your wallet bleeding) heal faster.

I am really sorry, I have never ever driven a BMW or Audi, but you can't compare the charm of a classic 911 to any other car...Period. Yes we are all car lovers in this forum but when one says that they are in the market for a classic air-cooled 911 and also any other car.... then I don't think a 911 is for you. This is my honest opinion. I really don't want to come across as someone who is insulting of your intelligence or interests.

Actually I completely agree with you and do not take it as an insult. So if you were insulting me, it didn't work!

I have not driven a BMW or an Audi before either, not even a test drive but based on internet searches and autotrader, they are "cars of interest". Likewise, I always came back to the Porsche. If it was up to me alone, money was not a problem and time was available, I would start a Porsche collection and go back to school for auto mechanics. Unfortunately, real life is different

I believe I am ready "in my heart" and just need to convince my logical side to be in agreement. Perhaps wait? Just have that "itch" if you know what I mean.

Another question is how hard is it to get familar with the older P-cars?
Old 03-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

In this economy, if money is an issue-hang on to it. When you finally buy the car and can truly afford it, it will be that much more enjoyable.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:46 AM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a 2000 BoxsterS, great car, but got "the itch". I wanted a muscle car, but couldn't stomach the lack of handling. I bought an '04 M3. I thought I could live with the "wanna-be" race car handling. I was wrong, and sold it in one year. (My present daily driver is a 335 with a Dinan chip. Now THAT is a keeper.) IMO the 77 Pcar is too primative for a daily driver. Go with the 3.2, BUT there were major improvements in '86. Think about it; it has most/all of the improvements of the last 911 except the G50.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:05 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Well, against my better judgement (or not), I've put a tentative offer on a 1988 911 Targa and will arrange a PPI with leakdown test in the next short while.

Known expenses is new tire for safety certification.

The car has low milage considering age, 137,000 km or 86,000 miles.

The PO has owned it for 10 years and put on about 30,000km (18,750miles) in the 10 years. Since it was driven so little, the last service oil change was in 2008. Nothing was required or done with it. Prior to him, a valve adjustment, head gasket set, rocker arm and spark plugs were serviced along with the mass air flow sensor and front brakes. The targa roof was resealed and the top looks very good.

The air conditioning is questionable as I couldn't test it as it's still cold here in Toronto. I assume the PPI will look into this?

What advice do you have for me and how much would you offer? (so I can see if I'm in the ballpark). I reserved the right to walk after the PPI.

Thanks all!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Wouldn't have a clue on what I'd offer unless I saw/drove it.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:36 AM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Default The new contestants....

If anybody is still interested....

Gave up on the BMW M3 coupe, gave up on the 1977 911T and gave up on the 1984 911 Carrera.

The contestants are..

1. 1988 911 Targa
2. 1987 911 Coupe
3 1982 Ferrari Mondial 8

How about these? There are some price variances and maintenance costs issues I'm sure.

the fun is in the looking?

Quick Reply: 1977 911T vs 1984 911 Carrera vs 2003 BMW M3