Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1977 911T vs 1984 911 Carrera vs 2003 BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

2. Since when are air cooled parts inexpensive? The Porsche parts, in my experience, are more expensive and take longer to get.

4. And how much have you spent on modifications for the 84? I believe just the motors alone were nearly $20k, right?

The M3 is a much more modern car with performance that far exceeds either p-car. Its simply a question of how much performance you are willing to give up for the soul, look, and feel of the porsche. Given that the first thing he mentioned was practicality, I question if a 25 to 30 year old porsche is the way to go.
A. When did I say anything about parts? I mentioned the BMW will be more expensive when it breaks and that it isn't as DIY friendly. My inference is the labor component.

B. I've spent boatloads on my '84, and that is a ridiculous comparison for someone considering a 911 as a pseudo DD that is practical.

I never recommmended one over the other. I simply listed a few thoughts that came to my mind.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

1977 911T - most raw - most challenging to drive fast. The early Turbos are light - and the throttle is an on/off switch
1984 911 Carrera - middle of road - fun to drive and with Motronic starts up. Runs hard - Very DIY friendly. Fast - planted, a bunch of car for the money.
2003 BMW M3 - Probably most practical - but easiest to get lost in a parking lot. Less DIY friendly. I had a 2004 3 series and I would not buy another one.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:07 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't bought BMW parts since the 1980s, and my aircooled Porsche parts are in the same league price-wise. But contemporary Benz parts prices are through the roof, and many are dealer only. You can still do a lot on modern cars if you have the right code reader.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:24 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
I haven't bought BMW parts since the 1980s, and my aircooled Porsche parts are in the same league price-wise. But contemporary Benz parts prices are through the roof, and many are dealer only. You can still do a lot on modern cars if you have the right code reader.
+1. An e36 m3 is not much more than an e30. Their both tractors. Computer systems are very passive, reliable and easily serviced (given the proper link-up) but can be expensive when control units need replacing(not often).
This is a bit of a non-comparison. I still think a Boxster S is a valid choice given the criteria. As is a late model Mustang, audi S4, etc. You'll know when you want a 911 and this tread will be history.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:00 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

" Having an urge to spend money I don't really have" : This remark plus the need for practicality tells me that you are not ready for a 911. Get a well maintained E39 330i (best sport sedan ever). For about 13 to 14 K you should be able to get a real gem. Practical, iconic (relatively speaking), reliable, fun, no more depreciation and last of the bimmers that are fairly easy to work on. When the time comes a 911 will be waiting for you.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:28 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is for your daily driver, then the M3 wins hands down. I like the older 911s better, but the M3 is way faster, more dependable, has good AC, and an engine that loves to wind to 7900 RPM. There is much to be said for a high revving straight six. The sport seats are fantastic and with a 150 dollar Peavy tool you can handle most all regular maintenance functions at home, other than turning off the brake wear indicator lamp, unfortunately. I sold my 996 DD and bought an M3 only because I needed more room for trips, but I kept my SC, as it is for weekend fun runs. I know you skipped right past SCs from 77 to 84, but I've had at least one of each and there aren't that many differences, other than the known issues with each generation. E46 M3s are at a price point right now that makes for one of the best performance bargains in many years. Get one before all the Civic guys figure it out and just remember where you park!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:47 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

And then there are the Subaru hatchbacks with revy little motors.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:48 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
And then there are the Subaru hatchbacks with revy little motors.
Sure, neat little car. I can't help but think the OP is looking for a cool car, and there are tons of cool cars out there.
A 911 usually take a dedicated search with dedicated funds. That follows thru in ownership with dedicated participation. A 911 can sink a family.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 PM
racer
Drifting

Initially, I was looking at the M3 coupe as a DD in the summer and good winter days, have the 996 C4 Cab for summer fun and a Honda Odyessy for winter snow. I am not handy with DIY so maintenance will cost anyways.

Um.. you have the 996 Cab - why not use IT for summer fun and nice winter days? You also have a van for "bad" days/winter. Adding an M3 / 3.2 911 to the mix isn't making much sense to me...

With the 77 targa, I believe the cost of purchase will be the lowest of the three, but not sure if I will drive it in the winter but they look very nice. You know the Porsche commercials about a little kid wanting a Porsche, much like that with the 77. However, I think I prefer a coupe to a targa.

A '77 is about the lowest point of all midyears imho. Least hp, heaviest weight. Also, the stock 2.7 were known to have many many issues. If you do find a '77, make sure its stock motor is gone and a 3.0 has been installed. Between the thermal reactors, smog equipment and 5 blade fan, these motos just run TOO dang hot to last too long.

So a 1984 Carrera gets spotted and looks great too for a little more money, will I drive this as a DD, maybe not... Back to the M3?.

again, imho, all "sc/3.2" cars are $20K cars when you are all done "debastardizing" the cheap ones or buying a nice one to begin with. An E36 M3 will run with or exceed either of these cars for regular use duty, but it will make you wonder why you still have your 996.

Maybe, pick #5 save money for gas and taxes!! This might be the best choice
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Perhaps I should pick #5 or go with the E46 M3 and forget the 911 for now.

Why I want to get an M3 as DD...

In the winter I take off the insurance on the 996 as it saves some $$ and takes the urge for me to drive it. I personally do not like the salt and dirt that gets in the undercarriage or the convertible top. Washing it in the winter is also a pain.

The 996 is a fun car only instead of a DD due to the fact I do not want to drive it to clients. I take it to the office when I do not have any out of office meetings. I had an Infiniti I30t last year but sold in the fall which I used as a DD/work car. Currently driving the van which is not particularly fun.

Back to my choice of M3, I still have not driven one yet (initially looked at 335 then switched to the M3) but it's a little more less common than the 3-series, read it is reliable, presentable to drive to clients (I don't want an attention grabber at clients), and is fun to drive.

Just recently, the Porsche "fever" came to me and got me thinking about an older 911.

Also, before all the thinking about the M3, I almost got the Porsche 968 but got sold to another just the morning I made up my mind.

If I keep thinking, I'll be by default picking #5, then maybe I can be impractical in a few years and get a Ferrari
Old 02-14-2011, 10:01 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

An older 911 is ok to drive to client meetings, right? Now you've got me wondering if I need a little junky sedan.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:40 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Thanks all!

I'll give up on the current P-cars I was looking at and focus on a M3... until I see another P-car that catches my eye. Sometimes looking is just as fun as buying but a lot cheaper and you learn a bit each time you look.

Thanks again
Old 03-09-2011, 02:14 PM
jthwan22
Addict
Rennlist Member

M3 will give you real heat and working AC
Old 03-16-2011, 02:05 AM
hopeforcash
Instructor

A white 1988 911 Targa just caught my eye. Again , keep cash, M3 or a 1988 911 targa? Decisions ... Decisions!

Spring coming and I'm sure more choices coming !

Briefly researching and the 1988/89 911s are more dependable than the 70s and early 80s?

Another factor in the decison is the kids do NOT like the M3 (cosmetic only as they are too young to drive)
Old 03-16-2011, 02:24 AM
911ihope
AutoX

You and I are in the same boat, sorta - I'm actively looking at newer BMW's and 911's as well.

My brother has an 04 and let me tell you the following - M3's are expensive to own. It's actually sick how much he spends each year on the car. I wouldn't necessarily be afraid to own one out of warranty but it's the routine maintenance and replacing parts which is gonna kill you (brakes and tires are not cheap).

I'm on the west coast of Canada and I've been looking at M3's almost weekly for the past few months - supply of clean cars is scarce and the truly clean cars are starting at $3x,000 (which is crazy money for the car). I can only imagine it's worse in Toronto. You do not want to buy a ratty M3 - and there's tons of them out there (especially 2001-2003's).

Also, I'm not sure what industry you're in but I think the M3 would be way less presentable compared to the Porsches. With the 911, people think connoisseur; with the M3 they think d-bag (this is merely my perception though).

The M3 was always my dream car growing up, but that dream has passed. Maybe it's the fact that I've now had considerable seat time in one, or the fact that it's essentially an 11 year old car now. Either way, new cars don't impress me and I really want to relive the 80's so I'm going with the 911 (I hope).

Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply: 1977 911T vs 1984 911 Carrera vs 2003 BMW M3