Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

72 Targa Resto Begins -- What have I gotten myself into????

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:42 AM
AGW911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 Targa Resto Begins -- What have I gotten myself into????

So, I finally started my long awaited resto on this beast. I have run into a few surprises, but I am no discouraged -- yet.

Here are some pics before I started to tear it apart. They were taken when the weather was nicer as you can tell by the lack of snow outside!!

14 Inch Fuchs. Pretty sure these are not stock from 72, might have come from the donor car that gave it the 70 2.2.

AHHH, the good old cracked dash. That will be replaced when I get the windshield out. The dash needs lots of cosmetic work and the interior carpet is all coming out.

Now for the surprises.............

Front right floor pretty much rotted. Luckily they sell a panel that will be just big enough to replace the rot. It continues right out to the rocker which will also have to be replaced. The rocker itself is in OK condition, but you will see later that someone put about a quarter inch of bondo on it and I think by the time I am done with it, it will be best just to replace it.

Same side, facing the rear of the car. Luckily there is a solid piece between the front and rear rot that will allow me to maintain some structural integrity while I cut out the bad spots.

Now, this was one of my favorites right here. Someone WELDED the front fender to the rocker panel, grrrrrr.

Not so much of a surprise, and what I was expecting when I bought this car, is the front suspension pan and gas tank support. They need to be replaced. No big deal on that one.

Last but not least, the engine. A 2.2E (I think) out of a 70 911. The engine serial number is 6108529. I have one book telling me it is a 70 E and another says that it fits in the 70 T range, but there is a big gap and I think it might not include euro numbers. This is a euro car, just not sure where the engine came from.

Not sure if these are stock cylinders or not, can't find a part number on them.

So, there she is. Not much to look at right now, but it will be soon. I am starting with the body. Going to strip down as much as I can and see what has to be done. I will then source the panels I need and get welding. Once that is done I will POR15 the important areas and send it off for paint.

Next will be the engine and suspension. I think I have decided to go stock on the engine after a much needed reality check from Steve and also much needed reassurance from Whalebird that stock is alright. I have a list of part numbers here and can't find a reference for them. I will list them and if anyone can verify what they are that would be great.

Case 901.101.120.2R pretty sure this is consistent with a 70 911 according to the books.

Crank shaft 001.102.010.00 It was kind of hard to read, but pretty sure that is what it was. Can't find a reference to that number.

Piston only had a number on it 084072

Rod was part number 911.103.103.R I might have the second 103 backwards. If so, it is consistent with a 70 part number.

Heads are 911.104.306.0R

Anyway, that is it for now. Hopefully I will have some more pics soon.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in diving into a project like this myself, pls. keep the "in progress" pictures coming and good luck!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:51 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Someone really bronzed a turd there with that nice paint job on the outside. Definitely will be cool to follow your progress. Keep it coming.

Brett
Old 02-11-2011, 03:11 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The thought would cross my mind, at least momemtarily, of putting flares and a big motor with a dme in that Targa. Also some sort of chassis stiffening. The reason is that the motor and body are not, original any more and you have a longhood that is begging to be R-Grupped.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:08 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
The thought would cross my mind, at least momemtarily, of putting flares and a big motor with a dme in that Targa. Also some sort of chassis stiffening. The reason is that the motor and body are not, original any more and you have a longhood that is begging to be R-Grupped.
I hinted at that in the other thread. I see the same thing. I know an SC that was totaled in a frontal collision, very well sorted motor(still runs), Bilstein suspension, and lots of nice stuff... car was quick on the track. 10K for the whole car. Plug and play for a 72 and very quick.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

I had a 1972 T coupe for many years. Same color as yours. Same side mounted oil tank. Better take a look at that because they are very expensive now. The 959 has a similar oil flap on the body and I always wondered if they used the old 911 part number. My suspension pan was worse than yours. I used aftermarket batteries rather than Porsche ones and acid spashed out during autocross sessions.

There are so many modified early 911's around, I would be tempted to get it as close to stock as you can. People are starting to pay silly money for these cars and stock ones are worth more. Keep an eye out for a 2.4 with MFI in tact and you can always swap it out later, or keep it in the garage for the future.

Good luck............
Old 02-11-2011, 03:25 PM
AGW911
Instructor

I think on my current budget, stock is the way to go. However, I do have a hard time keeping the ideas out of my head every time I see a well done 72 RSR!!

I figure I have lots of time to build a tricked out super fast car. I will focus on a "stockish" type project for this one. It will help me learn the ins and outs of Porsche repair and rebuilding. I think the learning opportunities on this car are endless.

I know I can get a rust free tub for about 3K locally from a major supplier. I think that is going to be my next project. I will probably do as Whalebird suggests and buy a well sorted donor car to build on the shell.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:48 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like your thinking. Already have your sights set on a second...
Old 02-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AGW911
I think the learning opportunities on this car are endless.
LOL. I'm having difficulty figuring out whether that is good or bad.

Brett
Old 02-11-2011, 05:54 PM
AGW911
Instructor

Brett. I'm sure I will curse it every day, but when I'm done the experience will be a good one.

Whalebird. I definitely have my eyes on a second project. It is the third, fourth and fifth that I am trying to keep WAY in the back of my mind hehehe.

Quick Reply: 72 Targa Resto Begins -- What have I gotten myself into????