DIY HELP: replacing/fixing auto heat cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY HELP: replacing/fixing auto heat cable

Hey guys,

I have a 1986 Targa with Autoheat, rotary **** on the center console in between the seats.

Question: the cable pulling the heat exchanger valves (butterfly valves) is not moving very well. I'm worried I might burn the servo or break the servo rod connectors (again).

Any advice on how to tackle a replacement? I'm particularly interested to know how to insert a new cable through the sleeves. And how to access the cable. Is it under/in the e-brake housing?

Thanks!

MT86
Old 02-03-2011, 12:41 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marlon 86, do you have the factory 87-89 Workshop manual? If not, send me your e-mail and I'll forward a copy to you. From the workshop manual, I think you have to remove the passenger seat, then the automatic heater control, to get to the wires. They are under that rectangular housing. They are operated by movement of the rod of the automatic system. You may just need to put some lubrication on them. That's where I would start. My e-mail is rmcatee@satx.rr.com
Old 02-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Originally Posted by ron mcatee
Marlon 86, do you have the factory 87-89 Workshop manual? If not, send me your e-mail and I'll forward a copy to you. From the workshop manual, I think you have to remove the passenger seat, then the automatic heater control, to get to the wires. They are under that rectangular housing. They are operated by movement of the rod of the automatic system. You may just need to put some lubrication on them. That's where I would start. My e-mail is rmcatee@satx.rr.com
Thanks, my email is nowemarlon@yahoo.com
Old 02-04-2011, 05:01 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the cable is not broken, leave it alone. I would take a look underneath the car, and make sure the butterfly valve is moving freely, and maybe take the cable sheath tube out for cleaning.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Originally Posted by rusnak
maybe take the cable sheath tube out for cleaning.
How do I clean the sheath tube? Where is it located?

Marlon

PS: Valves are fine (they move freely when the cable is disconnected).
Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

The butterflies ar what usually stick, and get bent. Straighten them and get some silicone sprayed in there. You'd replace the entire cable/sheath. You can go to a motorcycle shop and get cable lube and the clamp on device to divert the lube into the cable. Quite effective and simple.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sheath slides out after you undo the cable at the butterfly end. Dont lose the little washers and nut.

One side snugs in near the fire wall, and the other snugs into a tube welded to a clamp at the butterfly valve, that also serves to hold the heater tube in place.

Sometimes the butterfly valve gets hung up on the welded steel tube.

It's a better idea to replace the sheath, but if you find yourself (like me often times) wanting to drive the car in the meanwhile, you can remove the sheath, and spray some electronic parts cleaner into it. Then blow it out with some compressed air. Before you attempt to adjust the heater cable, the sheath has to be snuged down good, and you need to hold the cable tight with some needle nosed pliers. It might take a few tries to get the adjustment perfect.

Quick Reply: DIY HELP: replacing/fixing auto heat cable