Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1977 Porsche 911S "Points Problem"...Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Will Arch
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1977 Porsche 911S "Points Problem"...Help!!!

I have a 1977 Porsche 911 S Coupe in excellent condition....In the past three months I have changed the "points" on my Porsche 3 times...my mechanic has recommended and completed.... The problem that was happening was my Porsche would just cut off for no apparent reason at a stop light or low RPM's.......I feel the problem lies somewhere else....has anyone had this problem? Can you suggest a direction?

Thanks,
Will Arch
Old 03-08-2003, 10:21 PM
catuck
Advanced

That sounds exactly like the problem I had. Turns out my points kept closing - the set screw wasn't holding the points open to the proper gap. My solution was to replace the points with an optical trigger from Crane Cams.

I am now upgrading to a 3.2 so I'll have no use for it. Its for sale if you're interested.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:41 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris.. I think Will is talking about a different problem. Probably about points pitting. the points should last many many miles without ever pitting on the '77. maybe an adjustment or timing adjustment once in awhile. I don't have the hard info in front of me, but if the problem is pitting it's probably a ground situation. might even be a points ground situation internally/ inside the dizzy. and if I ever replace the points/upgrade, I'll be checking the timing at each cylinder.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:51 AM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope this isn't too simplistic, but are you running the AC when this occurs? This was a common problem with the after market air of this vintage, requiring an adjustment to the fuel mixture to rectify.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:29 PM
Will Arch
4th Gear

I am not using the A/C when my Porsche cuts off.....I also replaced the CD Box recently with a Permatune CD...could that item be faulty?

Thanks,
Will Arch
Old 03-11-2003, 02:09 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Will.. is the points being replaced because of pitting on the contacts????
Old 03-11-2003, 03:51 PM
Will Arch
4th Gear

Yes, my points are pitting and my Porsche shuts off at a light will idling! I also just changed the CD to Permatune if this info. helps!

Thanks,
Bill Archival
Old 03-11-2003, 04:07 PM
RoninLB
Pro

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Will Arch:
<strong>Yes, my points are pitting and my Porsche shuts off at a light will idling! </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I definately believe you have a ground problem somewhere..

Quick Reply: 1977 Porsche 911S "Points Problem"...Help!!!