Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1966 911 help on value

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:49 PM
classiccarfan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1966 911 help on value

I am the owner of a 1966 porsche 911 and I am trying to figure out if in the shape it is in, is it a worthwhile porshe to restore considering it is a 1966 911?
-what would you think the value of it would be as is based on the following?
-what is a ballpark estimate on a restoration cost to make it driveable and a ballpark value of it after such a restoration?

I have attached the detailed information about the car below.

The Car is a 1966 1/2 911 (built towards the end of 66)
86,716 miles

The chassis is very solid (surface rust) and all the hard to find original trim/parts are present. Including wooden steering wheel, original engine etc.

The following is a list of what might need to be done to make it a solid driveable car.

Fuel System:
1. Empty fuel tank
2. Remove fuel tank, clean and epoxy coat it.
3. Replace all fuel hoses (rotted)
4. Rebuild carbs
5. Replace fuel filter
6. Fuel pump is questionable

Engine:
7. Engine is locked, possibly due to rusted cylinders, will need replacing if this is the case.
8. Entire exhaust system is rotted.
9. Replace all oil hoses
10. Replace vacuum and breather hoses.
11. Replace engine mounts
12. Replace oil filter
13. Replace air filter
14. Replace spark plugs, rotor button, and rebuild distributor

Brakes:
15. Replace hoses front and rear
16. Replace master brake cylinder
17. New pads
18. New Rotors
19. Rebuild calipers

Suspension:
20. Replace all bushings
21. Tires
22. Shocks and front mounts
23. Wheel bearings

Electrical:
24. Alternator
25. Starter
26. Signal lenses cracked
27. Flog light lenses broken
28. Repair wire harness damage, bad connectors, replace ground straps

Transmission:
29. Rebuild CV axles
30. Shifter bushings worn out
31. Clutch kit
32. Resurface fly wheel
33. Would have to test drive to check condition of tranny.
Attached Images     
Old 01-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Is it a "911S" model? Are you sure it has 86k miles or is it possibly 186k because the odometer turned over?

If the the body is as rock solid as you say then in "as is" condition it could be worth $10k - $15k.

If you fully restored it, which could cost $20k to infinity $$$, depending on how much work you do yourself. It could be worth $40 and up.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:03 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ccf, you need someone to go through the car for you, PPI style.

It would help if you posted your location.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:50 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by classiccarfan
I am the owner of a 1966 porsche 911 and I am trying to figure out if in the shape it is in, is it a worthwhile porshe to restore considering it is a 1966 911?
-what would you think the value of it would be as is based on the following?
-what is a ballpark estimate on a restoration cost to make it driveable and a ballpark value of it after such a restoration?
A '66 911 is not a particularly desirable SWB model. If it was an early '65 or a later '67 911S model it might be worth restoring, but a '66 Normal is not that "collectible." You will be upside down on the value when you're done, unless you are doing all the work yourself. Even then, you will be lucky to break even.

It has to be a labor of love for this kind of project to make any sense, and you have to view your labor as it's own reward, as recreation, since you won't be paid for it in the end. If you are just writing checks and paying $70-100/hr. labor rate for a shop to do the work, you might as well put half your money in a little pile and burn it, 'cause you'll get 50 cents on the dollar out of it in the end.
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Is it a "911S" model?
No 911S models were produced in the 1966 MY--they started in 1967. Pics posted above do not show an S -- dash is wood, not basket-weave material, with a 911 emblem on glovebox, not 911S; wheels are steel, not 4.5" Fuchs, which were standard on the '67S; rocker and bumper trim looks narrow, not wide "S" extrusions, etc. I believe the OP has correctly identified it as a '66 Normal coupe.

If the the body is as rock solid as you say then in "as is" condition it could be worth $10k - $15k.
I would disagree that it is worth that much as it is described. It is non-running car with a seized engine that needs everything overhauled--engine, brakes, suspension, fuel and electrical systems, etc. The transaxle is also an "unknown," as it is not running and can't be tested.

I would wager that the body is not as "rock solid" as it might appear from the outside as well. In my experience, there is no such thing as an original, unrestored SWB car that is "rust-free" after 42+ years, even the ones from the drier states. These cars were not built from galvanized steel like the later cars. A closer look at the unibody would likely reveal some structural rust problems, unless it has had some panel replacements in the past, or was stored in a "hermetic" environment for most of that time. If it has been driven for 86K miles (or 186K, as is very possible), there will probably be corrosion problems that will need to be addressed in the restoration, usually in the front pan, rocker panels, floors, door posts and bottoms, front and rear windshield frames and cowls, etc. The torsion tube needs to be examined carefully, as that can be a killer.

As it sits, it is a $3-5K "core" or parts car, IMHO. If the chassis does prove to be solid, or repairable without a lot of expense, it's "best and highest" (most cost-effective) use might be as a vintage race car or a SWB hotrod. I don't think it is that great a candidate for restoration to "original" condition for the reasons I stated above--too costly compared to its potential value.

TT

Last edited by Tom Tweed; 01-27-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
As it sits, it is a $3-5K "core" or parts car, IMHO. If the chassis does prove to be solid, or repairable without a lot of expense, it's "best and highest" (most cost-effective) use might be as a vintage race car or a SWB hotrod. I don't think it is that great a candidate for restoration to "original" condition for the reasons I stated above--too costly compared to its potential value.

TT
Agree with that. I came up with a number of $4k that I would offer when I was talking to an owner of a 67 911 that was tired and had been in the garage for a while. Non-original engine, non factory sunroof cut in the top. This was a car that would probably run and drive if the carbs were cleaned, tuned, and put back on. I think the owner gave me a number of 10K to start. He decided not to sell. I was thinking perfect R-gruppe starting point.

Brett

Quick Reply: 1966 911 help on value