Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help - Needed: '83/'84 Wiring Harness Guru in So Cal

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Paul491 Cadrobbi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Needed: '83/'84 Wiring Harness Guru in So Cal

It appears I and my '84 Factory Turbo-Look Coupe are involved in a very "unenviable" situation... I'd really appreciate any help and support to help in my delema.

I am hoping someone out here knows of a person here in Southern California who is very familiar with wiring harness installations of both '83 and '84 911s. My car has had two really bad experiences: (1) Viper installation where the tech "butchered" my factory wiring harness. And then to make matters even worse, (2) another shop thought they could install a harness out of an '83 SC when I had requested a direct '84 replacement.

Please see my original link: Electrical Harness Question... Need help asap!

I have my car back at home out of the clutches of the last shop and need to figure out what to do next. My only other option is to locate an Electrical Harness Installer Guru as close to Oceanside, CA as possible. (It's a costal town directly between LA and San Diego.) I am appealing to your collective help with this untimely matter. This car IS my daily driver... Now, after seven months of using my wife's car, we are looking for the best solution to get us back to normal. Please help. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Goodness gracious. I guess it depends on how much the original was hacked/ removed. Sorry I did not read the other link. If it helps any, the engine harness from your original should be separate from the chassis harness.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Paul491 Cadrobbi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After an extended conversation with the tech who was assigned the task of installation (the shop owner had already removed the harnesses), and explaining to him exactly what was going on with my car before the shop owner said he would fix it, the tech felt all that was needed at that time was to simply replace the ignition side of the harness. By the time he was assigned the project, everything with the exception of the engine harness had been removed. He proceeded as he was told unaware of the original starter/ignition issues and replaced the whole front with the '83 3.0 harnesses.

As the car sits, the main problem seems to be a grounding issue with the power connection to the fuel pump. The power feed to the fuel pump appears to be grounded, but oddly enough only has .004 resistance witch would indicate no body-to-wire grounding. This is where the tech was stuck on the project when I pulled the plug.

The tech, himself, is straight-up and a pretty knowledgeable guy. He was put on the job after the shop owner pulled the original harnesses. He told me that had he known the whole situation, he would have only replaced the starter circuit NOT the whole front and under dash. He also found that the '83 fuse box did not match and reinstalled my '84 fuse box with the new wiring.

I had a conversation with the tech today and he is more than willing to help us any way he can. So if you or anyone else has some good ideas to get me back on the road, let's hear 'em!

Thanks

Last edited by Paul491 Cadrobbi; 01-25-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Help - Needed: '83/'84 Wiring Harness Guru in So Cal