Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Lowering 911 and Front Tow Hooks

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 11:42 AM
Herb E.
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Lowering 911 and Front Tow Hooks

To those of you who have lowered your Carreras, can you tell me the prevailing thoughts on what is done, if anything, with the front tow hooks (at the front of the A-arms?) They are obviously prone to scrapping and I wonder if removing, bending them, or some thing else is typically done. I suppose they do provide a piece of safety margin for the undercarriage, and I am iclined to leave them in place for that reason. If you leave them in place, does anyone recommend the bolt-on skid plates that are offered by Perf Products? These are a bit pricey also...is there a better alternative cost-wise? Thx in advance for your comments.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:09 PM
addictionms
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 1988 which is lowered and I have just let the tow hooks act as the skid plate, it has worked well. Mine are now all bent over and scraped. Unless you are planning on a concourse car, I would do nothing, and let those factory tow hooks do the job.

Jim
Old 04-24-2002, 12:11 PM
LoudC4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Herb,

On my 87 Cab I left the hook there. Its like a nudge bar for me if I'm not sure whether I'm getting over a hump or too close to the road side guttering.

Gotta admit that its looking pretty worn. Don't know that I'd want to tow using it! Then again flatbedding would be my choice. My car is a little lower than Euro height with no chin spoiler (getting one soon).

I also find the protection bar for the front condensor has given me a safety warning several times too!

Cheers
Mark
Old 04-24-2002, 01:34 PM
PDACPA
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Herb did you get the skid plates from Perf? I was looking at getting them myself. My existing tow hooks are pretty beat up and I am running at US height, but planning on lowering it when it goes in for its new exhaust.

I think the ad says you have to do some drilling, I am guessing a new hole for one of the bolts. I was concerened that one of mine was bent and that I would have difficulty bending it back to install the skid plates. Let me know if you have done it.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2002, 02:56 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine are just like Jim's all bent over and scraped up. Guess it's better than the gas tank.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:51 PM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine are quite bent up *** well, I have straightened them out before with an old lug wrench and lot's of leverage.

As far as a cheaper alternative one of the members of the Pelican list used a large nut and bolt with a really large washer on either side of the factory tow hook. I like that idea, but have yet to institute it. Cheap and effective.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:20 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my '87 coupe, sans spoilers, 16" Fuchs, the nose previously lowered to the 1 degree downward slant, w/ the tie-down hooks "professionally bent" toward the outside. The nudge bar does its job well (respray flat black once a year), the hooks aren't hammering the road, or the chassis. I find it works out well this way, & I believe the bolt-on plates would likely cause more hard strikes, w/o providing any useful protection.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:41 AM
Herb E.
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just 'professionally' straightened my tow hooks out, via a large vice. ( They are off the car while I'm re-doing my bushings. ) I havent purchased the Perf Parts skid plates yet and Kevin raises a good point on the issue of hard strikes....allowing the tow hook to bend on heavy impacts, may be saving the car a bit. Stephen's washer idea sounds interesting...I may give that a shot.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:23 PM
JMPRO
Intermediate

I INSTALLED 2 1/2 " URATHANE WHEELS ON MY TOW HOOKS WITH A SPREADER BAR BETWEEN THE TOW HOOKS TO MAKE IT STRONGER. THE BAR IS .125 WALL CHROME MOLY AND ALSO ACTS AS A CENTER JACKING POINT FOR THE FRONT OF THE CAR . THE URATHANE WHEELS ARE HARD ENOUGH TO WEAR PRETTY WELL AND SOFT ENOUGH THAT WHEN YOU GO UP A STEEP DRIVEWAY THE NEIGHBORS DON'T COME RUNNING TO SEE WHAT YOU HIT . I HAVE HAD THEM ON MY LOWERED 911SC FOR 3 YEARS AND HAVE REPLACED THE WHEELS ONCE
JERRY

Quick Reply: Lowering 911 and Front Tow Hooks