Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

gear oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 11:06 PM
porschepusher
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy gear oil change

What is the best way to put fresh gear oil in a 915 transmission without it running down your arms and all over the place (besides getting someone else to do it for you)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-23-2002, 11:31 PM
pwd72s
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, I make sure I have the FILL plug out before I remove the drain plug. That said, after draining, and installing the drain plug, I have a weird method, but it works. Filling device is a 4' length of 1/2" OD plastic tubing, a funnel stuck in one end. I'm under the car, non funnel end of the tube in the fill hole. Wife standing, with the container of gear lube. "Pour a little dear..okay stop. Pour a little more, okay, stop." May sound crazy, but it works...About 3 quarts, a little more, fills a 915...Filling device cost? Under 3 bucks, any hardware store...
Old 04-23-2002, 11:54 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
P-Pusher:

Paul's suggestion is just great.

I've done this myself when no help was available by inserting that plastic tubing about 2-3 inches into the fill hole and standing next to the wheelwell holding that funnel. The car must be level, of course.

If the oil is warmed up so that it flows well, you can simply pour s-l-o-w-l-y until it starts dripping onto the ground (which you have protected with a shallow roasting pan).

I've been successful with this method for 25+ years so, go for it,...
Old 04-24-2002, 12:19 AM
911SOUK
Advanced

Another method that I'm going to try (seems like it should work) as soon as I sort out my motor transplant problems is:

*get a sports water squeeze bottle and fill it with gear oil

*attach clear tubing (maybe 2 feet of it from the hardware store) to bottle nozzle, the lip on most of the bottles you see should be great for holding the tubing on the nozzle, clamp if you want but we're not talking about much pressure here.

*insert tube into fill hole and hold squeeze bottle so that oil is forced out the tube as you squeeze.

*refill bottle as needed and squeeze away.

The idea is to use pressure instead of gravity to feed the fill hole. Anyone done this?
Old 04-24-2002, 12:54 AM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Making sure the oil is warm is key, put it out in the sun for a little while, or next to the heater for a few minutes. The thick stuff just doesnt want to pour until warm.

To fill the trans I have a plunger like thing (I am sure it has a name), you can pick one up a Pep Boys or your local place. I paid ~ $25 for one while a friend has the snap on version that's much more expensive. It's not the cheapest solution, but it the cleanest way I have found to do this, especially if you dont have access to a lift.
Old 04-24-2002, 08:30 AM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tranny Fluid Pump Recipe (requires air compressor):
Get some clear tubing from Home Despot (3/8" I.D. or so) and a
1/2 gallon plastic juice jug like cranapple juice comes in. Drill two (2)
holes in the cap. One hole should be just big enough that you can
barely squeeze the hose through it. The other hole should be sized
so that you can put the tip of your compressed air "blow gun" in it.
Mine has a rubber tip and makes a nice seal.
Shove the hose through the cap so it reaches the bottom of the
jug. If you're using it for a 915 tranny get some wire twisty tie (like
you use for large trash bags) and attach it to the hose about 6" from the
loose end.
Usage:
Shove the loose end of the hose into the tranny. With a 915 you can
twist the twisty tie to the throttle bell crank to hold the hose from falling
out of the transmission. I can't remember what or if there is anything to
fasten it to on other cars.
Fill the juice jug with transmission fluid and screw the cap on.
TURN THE PRESSURE DOWN ON THE AIR COMPRESSOR TO 10-15PSI.
Higher pressures may blow the hose out of the jug or explode
the jug. Tranny fluid smells gooood when you spray it all over your
garage. <g>
Apply compressed air to the open hole in the juice cap and it will
force the tranny fluid up into the transmission.
Old 04-24-2002, 08:56 AM
bds1
Advanced

I do simular to the last post except I use a old pressure cooker with a removable lid (like Mom uses). Just put a 1qt container in the pot with appropriate pipe/tube that goes to the bottom of the 1qt container, then pressurize the pot to 30-50 psi via another air chuck. OIl really moves, when you see it filled just pop of the air from the pot. Oil can be hot or cold 50PSI doesn't really care!
Old 04-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Drew Theodore
Instructor

I got a fluid pump from Advance Auto, $3.95. It has a pump that that has a tube that goes into the container with a hose that goes into the transmission. You pump it like a soap dispenser. Works great and you can do it without your wifes help. Seems like whenever she helps me with my car I have a big time pay back, like helping her in the garden.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:41 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure this would work and have never tried it.

But if you had one of those Motive Power Bleeders like you use to bleed your brakes sitting on the shelf, couldn't you use it?

Maybe I haven't thought it through completly, but it seems like you could use one of those. Of course it would have to been clean and free of brake fluid.

Am I missing something?

Brian
Old 04-24-2002, 02:54 PM
Howard
Racer

Just did that last night. Bought an inexpensive gear oil pump from PepBoys, $4.99. As Drew said, it comes with an extension for the 1 gallon containers to reach the bottom, the end that inserts into the fill hole has a clip which prohibits the tube from popping out. Then you just pump away ! I pumped the entire container of Swepco 201 in a few minutes. Just make sure you direct the vent on the fill plug approximately at the passenger door.

Good luck !
Old 04-24-2002, 03:08 PM
Drew Theodore
Instructor

Howard, Did your transmission take all the fluid in the container?
Old 04-24-2002, 03:31 PM
Howard
Racer

Drew,

Yes, but my trans has a pump system which requires more fluid than a stock trans. There is a plug on the driver's side of the gear box, you should only fill it ( on a level surface ) until the fluid begins to exit the hole.

Old 04-25-2002, 08:22 AM
glees
Track Day

The first time I changed mine I ended up wearing most of it. The second time, I bought a special oil suction gun which is like a large all-metal syringe that holds 0.5 Litres of any liquid and has a plastic tube on the outlet. Didn't spill a drop! Cost me about 7 GBP. Take a look at <a href="http://machinemart.co.uk" target="_blank">http://machinemart.co.uk</a> and look under garage equipment-&gt;Lubrication and Fuel Transfer Equipment. I bought the Clarke CGG500.

- Gordon
'86 3.2 Carrera
Old 04-25-2002, 05:28 PM
George 86T
Advanced

Brian--the Motive Power idea would work fine BUT you wouldn't then want to use it for brake fluid! I don't believe there's any reasonable way you could totally clean the SWEPCO out of it before doing the next brake job! I've been toying with the idea of using a 1 gallon garden sprayer that can be pumped up but am not sure I want to have the thing sitting around and dedicated to bi-annual tranny refills! Might work fine for a club though--if one of the members would be willing to store it!
Old 05-12-2002, 09:54 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
Hmm, the $9.95 pump from Pep Boys is the solution that I've been using. It works just like a big liquid soap pump, and can fill your entire tranny in about 10 minutes.

Not sure if these other methods are worth it considering the low cost of the pump. In fact, I have several of these pumps depending upon what I'm pumping (Swepcom, Dexcon, or regular gear oil for my truck)...

-Wayne
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Quick Reply: gear oil change