Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Found this car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:09 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smshirk
The current owner is willing to sell. Asking 28k. I sold it for 20 in 2000. Transport costs and a needed valve adjustment gets the price to 30k. I want it back, and I am probably going to buy it, but I am struggling with the knowledge that it's not worth anywhere close to that number. I'll have to sell at least 2 maybe three toys in order to stay married. My wife is not in favor of the purchase. I had this car before I had her.

Did the new owner put lots and lots and lots of permanent improvements in the car? Because 40% appreciation is a total fantasy for a mid 80's Carrera of any stripe or flavor.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by UberXY
Did the new owner put lots and lots and lots of permanent improvements in the car? Because 40% appreciation is a total fantasy for a mid 80's Carrera of any stripe or flavor.
Started life as an SC
Old 01-05-2011, 02:55 PM
ofishbein
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really want it - offer him $20K. If he turns you down, wait a few weeks or a month and offer $19.5K. Repeat as necesssary, but always offer less not more. If no one else is interested he may decide to accept before the offers get too low - or go away entirely.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:33 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Good advice from all. The way I found it was to learn who had been servicing it, P car dealer. I wrote the service mgr and he passed along my email to the guy. I erred in judgment there. They guy wasn't interested in selling it, but in my discussions with him I was able to learn that he will need to sell before too long. His wife has had one knee replacement and may have the other one done, so she hasn't been riding in it.

The svc mgr told me the paint and overall condition was great, and I sent him that same picture as comparison, so I will make the trip up there before doing anything else, I am pretty sure it's going to look the same. The engine may be a different story. It was built with the blower in mind, but I don't think either owner since I had it did a valve adjustment. Oil changes, and not the oil in supercharger is about all that's been done, hence the blower failed recently, or so I would suppose. Also it has a retard adjustment **** on the console and I can only hope it has been left dialed down over the years. It has the same brakes, but with 15k I'm not surprised. I don't know what he paid yet, but I will find out I think. I have a call in for the guy I sold it to, who then sold it to this fellow. He is a nice guy, and he may have paid more than I sold it for, but he told me up front he feels like he should get all the money back he has invested in the car. I know that's not a reasonable expectation but just conversing with him convinced me that he feels justified in his price, even though he apologized for asking more than an SC is worth....
Old 01-06-2011, 11:53 AM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

just conversing with him convinced me that he feels justified in his price, even though he apologized for asking more than an SC is worth....
He's at odds with himself here, he can feel justified all he wants, but if he really wants to sell it and apparently KNOWS it's not worth the price you have room to bargain!

I like the suggestion above of offer him $20, then lower it each month. [Probably] noone but you will be willing to pay anything remotely near his price if they are looking around even a tiny bit. You waited 10 years another 1-6 months might net you $10k in "rehab" $
Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sobamaflyer
He's at odds with himself here, he can feel justified all he wants, but if he really wants to sell it and apparently KNOWS it's not worth the price you have room to bargain!

I like the suggestion above of offer him $20, then lower it each month. [Probably] noone but you will be willing to pay anything remotely near his price if they are looking around even a tiny bit. You waited 10 years another 1-6 months might net you $10k in "rehab" $
I am beginning to see the wisdom here........If I can just control myself. That would also give me a chance to sell some things and keep the wife happy. It wouldn't be the first time I bought a Porsche intending to sell one, then never selling. That' why I have three right now, and had 4 until a year or so ago when I finally did sell one. I already have one I can never sell. I spent a fortune building the Boxster engine to a 3.6. If I do get this car, and I hope to eventually, I will have to keep both of them and quit looking at every interesting car that comes along. That's a lot of the fun and is something more to consider.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:58 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Steve!

I'm so glad you found your car! The price is steep so I'd consider building a clone.
Either way, it's all about the journey.

I finally put a turbo on my 2.7 and knew it was risky. Seems #2 cylinder may be having troubles now so I'm thinking of a 3.0 or a 3.2 swap and rebuilding the 2.7 with RS cams and carbs.

~Chris
'77 Targa S
'97 M3
'99 VFR

Last edited by LaughaC; 01-09-2011 at 01:01 AM. Reason: signature seems to be missing
Old 01-09-2011, 09:34 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

but he told me up front he feels like he should get all the money back he has invested in the car.
IMHO that's a highly unrealistic expectation.
is he wanting to recover service costs? maintenance? extra mods?
even recovering the cost of modifications is highly unrealistic, not to mention service costs
Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
IMHO that's a highly unrealistic expectation.
is he wanting to recover service costs? maintenance? extra mods?
even recovering the cost of modifications is highly unrealistic, not to mention service costs
Well, it isn't like he's the first one to think he can recoup investment in a car. If he's not looking to sell, it's probably a futile arguement.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think I've missed something here....

Was the car on the market and up for sale?

If my car wasn't on the market and some guy just walked up and had to have it the price would be rather high....
Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think anyone is going to steal this car from you by waltzing in there and paying 28K.

I'd let the car go, seriously. Actually if I was serious about it, I'd buy a cashier's check in the amount of $20K with the guy's name on it. Photocopy it, and mail the photocopy to him. Then if he doesn't go for it, let it go.

No way that car is worth $30K.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:46 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or even 20K. The 915 will be a lunch-box if it is putting down serious torque. Way to many variable to make this any kind of an attractive car.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

got my answer just up the page.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:26 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

He wasn't looking to sell, hence the high price I'm sure. I told him yesterday that I would have to pass, but would stay in touch. I want the car, but started looking around and can buy a 930 for the money. This car has some sentimental value for sure, and is a very very nice car making serious power. And the 915 is too weak for it I suppose, as it is apt to jump out of 1st and even 2nd once or twice under full acceleration.

And to top it off my wife pitched a fit when I told her I was going to buy it. Truth be known I would have bought it, or made a serious attempt, if she had not been so dead set against it. The last two I bought I agreed to sell something and I haven't exactly kept my promise. I did sell my 996 then turned around and bought an M3 a few months later. She has co opted that car so I don't count it. Maybe this spring I'll sell my motorcycle and 968 cab, then take the proceeds and do as suggested with a cashiers check. I may be able to clear 20k out of the two of them.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:48 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LaughaC
Hi Steve!

I'm so glad you found your car! The price is steep so I'd consider building a clone.
Either way, it's all about the journey.

I finally put a turbo on my 2.7 and knew it was risky. Seems #2 cylinder may be having troubles now so I'm thinking of a 3.0 or a 3.2 swap and rebuilding the 2.7 with RS cams and carbs.

~Chris
'77 Targa S
'97 M3
'99 VFR

Hey Chris, sorry to hear the turbo didn't work out. Have you thought about doing a 3.6? I've seen a few of them lately for sale on Pelican complete with DME, harness, etc. Before putting the blower on the SC, I put about 10k in the motor, not counting the supercharger kit. I could have bought a 3.6 or maybe even a turbo motor for the same money at the time. I had some free money come my way and things just got out of control. It's easy to do when you start something without a specific plan. I intended to just fix some issues with upgraded parts, which led to the CIS restrictions, and the rest is.........

Just this morning I saw a post on 6speed where a guy bought one of the 3.8 X51 replacement motors from a dealer for ~12k. I knew they ran a sale at the end of 2010 but that's unreal. http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/b...-radiator.html

Quick Reply: Found this car!