Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Porsche Owner: Where to start my restoration?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:51 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Hey Sergei,

Please don't take what some of us say as negative, rather information and insight as to what you may POTENTIALLY face will help you make good choices.

I really hope that the frame proves straight (or straightforward enough to make it right) and that the motor was not run on low oil pressure after the trombone cooler was smushed. However, you need to be prepared that those are possibilities and it is better to take the time to assess that first.

My fingers are crossed for you! Look forward to progress updates as well!

Take care,
Allan
Old 12-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Excuse me, but I believe I offered up a kernel of encouragement in post 24....
Old 12-30-2010, 04:57 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Good blog for engine removal

http://www.paulsgarageblog.com/category/porsche-911sc/

John
Old 12-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Coldface
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 500_19B
Hey Sergei,

Please don't take what some of us say as negative, rather information and insight as to what you may POTENTIALLY face will help you make good choices.

I really hope that the frame proves straight (or straightforward enough to make it right) and that the motor was not run on low oil pressure after the trombone cooler was smushed. However, you need to be prepared that those are possibilities and it is better to take the time to assess that first.

My fingers are crossed for you! Look forward to progress updates as well!

Take care,
Allan
Thanks Allan. My first order of business is to get the oil trombone, fender+headlight in and take the car for a ride. Once I confirm that the drive trane is solid, I'll start thinking of all the cosmetics issues.

Here is my current M5. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1307826

Previous M3, see post #14
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...583&highlight=

- Sergei
Old 12-31-2010, 07:45 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

That is a nice looking M5, great job

John
Old 12-31-2010, 08:47 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coldface
Thanks Allan. My first order of business is to get the oil trombone, fender+headlight in and take the car for a ride. Once I confirm that the drive trane is solid, I'll start thinking of all the cosmetics issues.

- Sergei
Now you are cooking ! Also consider pulling the valve covers to look at the head studs and camshaft lobes. If those are good and it drives out well, you are good to go.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:30 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Me thinks we need to start summarily encouraging even the tough cases. How many here ultimately have spent several times what their car will ever be worth upgrading/maintaining these old beasts? It just feels like more than not the advice (not just this instance) is "trash it", someday there just won't be that many left.

With a small amount of luck and a big dose of his obvious ability and facilities he could still be in the black with this old girl.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:25 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

(I'm going to talk past the specific car/ project our original poster has, and talk big picture for a moment.)

There are thousands, make that tens of thousands of these things around. We junked all manner of cars in the '80s and '90s that you guys would salivate over today. And I'm just talking 911s. Some the 356s, even 4 cam chassis, I saw get parted out would make most of you howl today. Difference? Everyone today thinks his car is so Goddamned special. Back then, it was an old car that the price to restore exceeded the street value. So I've been careful to make sure my former didn't end up more than the latter.

I'm all for adults in a free market doing what they want. But some of us who have been around 100-odd friends, customers, or dreamers with visions in theirs heads tend to get a bit jaundiced over the decades. Even in my case of another 910 that could have come my way pretty recently.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no historical perspective on these cars like Ken (whom I greatly admire and respect), however, an excercise of freedom of speech is where I speak from.

I would whole heartedly agree with the people who say this project is 'NOT WORTH IT' at the very least from the perspective that there are probably at a minimum 20 examples currently available that would be a significantly better starting point. Don't get me wrong, I've made plenty of bad decisions in my life, but I learned from them and more importantly shared my pain about those experiences to those who cared to listen. From what I can tell, the people who have been most vocal about this project are far more experienced than someone who has ZERO experience with a P-car....I am thankful they are here to speak UP !

Originally Posted by sobamaflyer
Me thinks we need to start summarily encouraging even the tough cases. How many here ultimately have spent several times what their car will ever be worth upgrading/maintaining these old beasts? It just feels like more than not the advice (not just this instance) is "trash it", someday there just won't be that many left.

With a small amount of luck and a big dose of his obvious ability and facilities he could still be in the black with this old girl.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:48 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

I suppose aside from lurking, dreaming and research for a long time the actual 911 world is semi-new to me. I've not spent years around exotic machinery so that the lesser examples of such doesn't warrant a 2nd glance.

I have had a string of not to expensive cars that I've "modded" for racing or fun, and I've had several old VW's that I've somewhat restored and enjoyed for a time. Speaking specifically of the VW's I know of gobs of folks, myself included , (in the flesh and on notable forums) that have taken cars in decrepit conditions and poured $ and time into them until they appeared and ran like a very cool and not so ordinary car. I/we started w/ these lesser cars not because we were gluttons for punishment but because it was what we could afford. My time is free and parts amortized over time is a lot easier to stomach than trying to find (or god forbid finance) the $ to get the finished product up front. Not to mention that the journey is part of the fun for many!

That said, from personal experience on one example, I spent ~$8k on a Karmann Ghia that was ultimately worth $4k when I sold it. Given the above would it not make more sense to pour your time and $ into a car that could be worth at least a decent price once you fix it up compared to the "people's car" that can even quicker be made WAAYYY upside down?

What there is here in today's market is a glut of people like myself that are comfortable but far from well off, and an iconic car from our childhood we now can afford under circumstances such as these. So yes, it does strike a nerve. Does it make practical sense, not particularly but no car does. The OP came here with a car he purchased (not "should I buy this") and asked for knowledge about it, in a couple of days he got some encouragement but a lot of "wow that's a piece of crap".

Sorry.....off the soapbox now
Old 12-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I think the underlying theme, at least for my input, is that such a project will not be inexpensive. Again, I suggested the OP could continue with the project keeping this in mind, and enjoying it for the challenge and the experience, not knowing whether he expects to come out rightside up on this or even turn a profit. Lord knows a lot of people bought 944's and 928's thinking they got a cheap Porsche, only to find out there is no such thing. So we fast forward a few years to find even cheaper 944's and 928's with a lot of deferred maintenance. We've been a little more fortunate that 911's, for the most part have stayed at a higher level, but that is starting to change. I'd just hate to see a project like this scrimped on, adding another bastard 911 to the marketplace. And that is not to insinuate our poster will cut corners.

I went and looked at a bastardized 911 just yesterday for someone on Pelican-an '84 with a lot less miles than Ruby, but also the receiver of a lot less love even though someone had put new paint and a bodykit on her a few years ago. What a POS through and through, and he was asking $14k. I tell you what, after looking it over, it made me proud to get back in Ruby, and fire her up to drive home. Makes me think she may fetch $17k on a good day, to the right buyer....LOL
Old 01-01-2011, 01:58 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldface
...I don't think that given the overall condition of the vehicle, a complete overhaul of the targa top is warranted. For now, I'll just go by with fixing the one turn nut that does not let me snap the targa in place.
Call Dan at Cars, Inc and tell him what you want to do with your targa top. If it is possible, I suspect he will help you out. He also runs a used parts business so he is another source for your repair parts.

BTW, what is recommended for engine oil? I recently went to a local shop for oil on my 1991 M5 and they could not find the appropriate spec oil as the user manual was calling. They were suggesting the "next generation" saying that it should be good for all previous years.
Someone else gave you the link to the mile long oil thread at Pelican Parts. Cliff notes go like this:

Cliff notes version:

Older engines (pre-mid 90's) need high levels (around 1200 ppm plus correct level of detergents) of Zinc (Zn) and Phosphorus (P) to protect cams and other high pressure surfaces.

With the introduction of roller tappets in most engines by the mid-90's, this requirement is relaxed and Zn and P levels can be reduced. The EPA pressured API to reduce the Zn and P levels to (hopefully) extend the life of the catalytic converter which is poisoned by Zn and P. They complied.

Use 20W-50 or 15W-40 oil. Recommended brands, in no particular order, include:

Brad Penn 20W-50
Valvoline VR-1 20W-50
Kendall GT 20W-50
SWEPCO 15W-40
Royal Purple

There are others as well."
Old 07-11-2021, 04:19 AM
smike21
1st Gear

Sergei,

I realize it has been quite awhile, but I was wondering if you still have the 1978 911SC Targa?

Thanks so much.

- Michael

Quick Reply: New Porsche Owner: Where to start my restoration?