Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Porsche Owner: Where to start my restoration?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:08 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is the correct website for Targa top parts and resto Ed was trying to post:

http://www.carsincnj.com/

Dan does a great job for $625 plus shipping and a little more if the frame is tweaked.

Also, do not run the motor without the fixing the oil cooler lines first and make sure the oil has the proper amount of Zinc and Phosphorus to prevent pitting of the cams.

What is you budget for parts?

www.dcautomotive.com is a good source for body parts.

John
Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Coldface
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Go to the Porsche Website, under "Classic", you'll find what they call PET, which is the parts manual.
I also found this place and it gives me prices http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p..._911_parts.php
Old 12-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I've not been impressed with Auto Atlanta.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Coldface
Track Day

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Here is the correct website for Targa top parts and resto Ed was trying to post:

http://www.carsincnj.com/

Dan does a great job for $625 plus shipping and a little more if the frame is tweaked.

Also, do not run the motor without the fixing the oil cooler lines first and make sure the oil has the proper amount of Zinc and Phosphorus to prevent pitting of the cams.

What is you budget for parts?

www.dcautomotive.com is a good source for body parts.

John
Thanks for the link correction John. I do not have a specific budget in mind. I just want to have the car fixed and feeling like a solid runner, not a brand new update.
I don't think that given the overall condition of the vehicle, a complete overhaul of the targa top is warranted. For now, I'll just go by with fixing the one turn nut that does not let me snap the targa in place.

BTW, what is recommended for engine oil? I recently went to a local shop for oil on my 1991 M5 and they could not find the appropriate spec oil as the user manual was calling. They were suggesting the "next generation" saying that it should be good for all previous years.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:06 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow. Just wow. Hazard a guess on what this was worth pre-wreck? I'd pull the engine and trans out of it, get my money back from selling those, crush the carcass and call it a day. If it were a coupe in original color unmolested with a great interior and verified miles with a stack of receipts it would fetch....................$10K, repaired?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:09 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we try to stay away from religous discussions, but here's a good thread on oil anyway. Pelican is a good parts source too, w/ a great on-line catalog.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...4-sm-oils.html

there are many good Porsche books you might find handy - the Bentley manual & the Haynes one on 911 Restoration - may be out of print but they show up on eBay fairly regularly.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:51 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Wow. Just wow. Hazard a guess on what this was worth pre-wreck? I'd pull the engine and trans out of it, get my money back from selling those, crush the carcass and call it a day. If it were a coupe in original color unmolested with a great interior and verified miles with a stack of receipts it would fetch....................$10K, repaired?
Don't want to burst your bubble but I agree with race911's comment.

Part it out and use the funds to purchase this 85 Targa that is in running condition for under $10K

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ady-cheap.html

Or this SC Coupe for $8K with a fresh motor rebuild, up to date in mechanicals, new tires, great looking Fuchs, and only needs minor body work.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...c-8-000-a.html

Hmm, I am tempted to pick that car myself as a DD...wife would kill me

Good luck

John
Old 12-30-2010, 11:34 AM
sig_a
Pro

Mr Coldface

Mark this in your 911 restoration reference directory. One of the best independent Porsche shops in the nation. You'll get an eyeful. They are close to Shakopee.

http://flat6.com/
Old 12-30-2010, 01:04 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the advice to part this car out may be misplaced. We're missing an opportunity to introduce (trap?) an enthusiast w/ some experience & means into becoming an old 911 expert. Coldface has a body shop & mechanic / father-in-law on his side - what could go wrong?

While fixing this car might be the start of his own personal dystopia, it is also possibly a relatively straightforward (loaded term) way to pass the Winter & have a decent sports car to play w/ in the Spring (or Summer - whenever the thaw takes place up thar). We need more people like him, not guys who buy-in blindly, become afraid, cut losses & escape never to return to 911dom. If he gets past this one, he will be stuck for life & undoubtedly useful to the wider community.

So I say go fer it!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I've not been impressed with Auto Atlanta.
I wouldn't take parts from them if they were free (long story). Anyway, looks like a fun project and you have a lot to learn. Make sure you post lots of pictures and ask lots of questions. You have already gotten a lot of useful help here. Keep us updated!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Coldface
Track Day

Originally Posted by ked
I think the advice to part this car out may be misplaced. We're missing an opportunity to introduce (trap?) an enthusiast w/ some experience & means into becoming an old 911 expert. Coldface has a body shop & mechanic / father-in-law on his side - what could go wrong?

While fixing this car might be the start of his own personal dystopia, it is also possibly a relatively straightforward (loaded term) way to pass the Winter & have a decent sports car to play w/ in the Spring (or Summer - whenever the thaw takes place up thar). We need more people like him, not guys who buy-in blindly, become afraid, cut losses & escape never to return to 911dom. If he gets past this one, he will be stuck for life & undoubtedly useful to the wider community.

So I say go fer it!
Now that is the attitute I've been looking for. Thanks.

I had cars cut in half and welded together, my father in law rents space for 3 cars in a body shop with a chassis liner and a paint booth. I have access to tools and a car lift. I can do it, the question is do I want to do it.

Like I said before, I am not planning on stripping this car to the bones and doing complete rottissier restoration. I just want to fix the body damage, tidy up the interior a bit and drive it. I see ppl getting burned on these 3-year long projects and never actually driving the car. I am not turning this car into a part-out project as I do not want to deal with the mess and sales.

Sergei
Old 12-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=ked;8166037]pretty sloppy slantnose conversion...

Unh, how is this a "slant nose conversion" There is no evidence of a slant nose.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Now you are talking. If you have access to that kind of equipment you should be fine.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
It's the targa top that concerns me.

If it twisted the tub you've got a parts car at best.

Hope I'm just seeing things.

Look at the trim under the "Targa" in the last picture...it busted up the trim on the bar and the seal on the window. And...neither door is closed.

It's a Taco'd Targa
I agree here.

measure the cross (X dimensions) on the top, if the numbers are close, you are Ok. if they are over one inch, (my guess) you could have problems. My 72 targa was also hit in the front and the top leaked forever.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It looks like you'll need two new side mirrors, as well. Recall that there is a LEFT and a RIGHT--not interchangeable.

Quick Reply: New Porsche Owner: Where to start my restoration?