Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oil temp

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 09:22 PM
gridchief
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post oil temp

My 1973 1/2 911T's Oil tepm runs about 210.
I have never had a 911 of this vintage with such high oil temp. Don't know why
I found a product that replaces the S hose from the oil tank to the oil cooler. Y0u just replace the hose with this and it has fins to help cool the oil. It sounds easy but do any of you know if it is worth the $250 it cost?
Anybody ever try this product?
Old 04-22-2002, 10:29 PM
Paul Brewer
Advanced

The danger point for oil temperature is 300 degrees and above. Mineral oil begins to break down at that point.
The mid year 911's ran a lot hotter than 210. My SC would always hit 250 in the summer before I added a brass cooler.
I think you will be ok at 210.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:45 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just saw he oil cooler you are referring to in the Tweeks catalogue. Looks like a cost effective way to add some extra cooling, if you lack the plumbing for a front cooler, (adding all the stuff for a front cooler is $$ a PITA)but most of these products are a little optimistic on temperature drop.

BTW, if you're seeing 210 in April, you'll be looking at 230 in July (maybe more on a longer trip or in traffic),and that is starting to get a little to hot for my comfort zone

If you go for the S-line replacement cooler, please let us all know how it behaves. Even with a front cooler, I'll bet a lot of autocrossers would like the extra protection.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:30 AM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That cooler has come up either on the email list or on the Pelican Parts Web board. The thoughts (untested, just assumption) was that it wouldn't do much. I was thinking that if it was finned on the inside as well as the outside it might be better. It's worth a shot though at that price I'll need numbers or results.

Another product that has come out recently and is being sold by a recently-retired-to-start-his-own-business-Pelican-Parts-member is similar but sounds as if it would be more effective. Knowing that the brass lines that run to the front of the car actually perform a fair amount of cooling he has developed ribbed brass lines to the front of the car, <a href="http://www.elephantracing.com/" target="_blank">here</a>. Personally I would probably try these first if I had the money to spend on either, but I don't right now.

I'm not affiliated with either part or person, just passing along the info.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:45 PM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gridchief, 210 is a safe temperature but sounds high for relaxed cruising in April.

Check your internal thermostat for proper operation. It may not be opening fully. Also make sure your cooling fins are clean and debris free. Check that your engine is not running lean and is otherwise properly tuned.

Stephan, thanks for the plug.

The <a href="http://www.elephantracing.com" target="_blank">Elephant Racing</a> oil lines are for cars with '74 and later style external thermostat or that have been so retrofitted. The finned lines are on the correct side of the tstat so they don't delay the engine warm-up.
Old 04-25-2002, 06:09 PM
Paul Brewer
Advanced

[quote]Originally posted by Paul Brewer:
<strong>
I think you will be ok at 210.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you see 210 in July, not April......
Old 04-25-2002, 07:57 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
There's no substitute for an external cooler. That said, I'm still waiting for a good opportunity to test the Compact Cooler, which I currently have installed on my car. I just need a day at the track with consistent temps where I can do an oil change at lunch.

Stephen, the Compact Cooler is finned on the inside.

Old 04-26-2002, 12:05 AM
dog
Track Day

HI CHUCK,

IS THAT REALLY A PHOTO OF YOU?
THEM'S LOOKING FOR SOMEONE LIKE THAT.

Quick Reply: oil temp