Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Hodge Podge 1973 RS replica, guesses on the value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Slimwear
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hodge Podge 1973 RS replica, guesses on the value?

I met a gentlemen (good guy) that has a bit of a Frankenstein 1973 RS replica (maybe "look alike" is a better term) and I'm struggling to get an idea of what its value is for the purpose of sale to me.

Some details:
  • 1968 Chasis
  • Engine from a 1983 SC
  • 915 Transmission
  • 1984 Interior
  • Factory steel flares and body
  • All parts are factory Porsche with the exception of the momo steering wheel.
  • The conversion was done in the 80's by a respectable Porsche restorer.
  • I have pictures from during the restore and current and they look great but I haven't seen it in person yet.
I'm going to take a look and drive it but if all other things check out (PPI, etc) where do you start with figuring value? I know the only real answer is, "what is it worth to me" but I would like to get a rough idea of what a market value might be.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Emery
Old 12-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Slimwear
Advanced

Default The Car

Recent picture of the car:
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2010, 10:48 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

about $5000 to $6500. The car would be worth more if it still looked like a longhood. This was a popular update during the 80s but not now. Compare it to an SC without numbers matching anything. No galvanized body,unknown miles on engine chassis and trans etc.may or may not have the later fender oil cooling with the engine and will likely have small 1968 brakes .
Old 12-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Slimwear
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnsjmc
about $5000 to $6500. The car would be worth more if it still looked like a longhood. This was a popular update during the 80s but not now. Compare it to an SC without numbers matching anything. No galvanized body,unknown miles on engine chassis and trans etc.may or may not have the later fender oil cooling with the engine and will likely have small 1968 brakes .
Great point on the brakes, I hadn't thought of that. It does have the fender oil cooling. Hmmm....
Old 12-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I dont see anything in that picture that even remotely looks like an RS clone, replica or even vaguely resembles a 73 RS. The car in that picture looks like an old 911 that someone stuck some turbo flares on, the offsets on the wheels or spacers is grossly off so the wheels are sitting so far in the fenders it looks funny. The value I see in that car are strictly in the condition of the motor and other parts which could be taken from that car. If those are real 16 inch fuchs in 7 on the front and 8 or 9 on the back they have some value too.
I am guessing with the weak points that the others have covered I would ask the seller for a ballpark first to see if its even worth a PPI investment.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:15 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have based my value on a good 3.0 engine and a 915 with other stuff like fuchs and interior bits. The car is worth no more than the sum of parts if you dismantle it.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:09 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsjmc
I have based my value on a good 3.0 engine and a 915 with other stuff like fuchs and interior bits. The car is worth no more than the sum of parts if you dismantle it.
Yup. Does he need money to finish the house?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brakes? Suspension? How many miles on the 3.0? Still CIS or converted to carbs? Is there a rear window in the car (can't tell)? Still twin batteries?

Since '68 is a SWB car, remind me how one makes it a LWB car?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Slimwear
Advanced

Originally Posted by racer
Brakes? Suspension? How many miles on the 3.0? Still CIS or converted to carbs? Is there a rear window in the car (can't tell)? Still twin batteries?

Since '68 is a SWB car, remind me how one makes it a LWB car?
All good questions but I'm just not that far into it yet. I'll get out there in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:22 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

As noted, that does not look at all like a 73RS. I'd say that this thing is nowhere close to anything special and I agree it is only worth some of the big parts' market value. Lord only knows how much money it would take to make it look like SOMETHING, making it a potential poor use of your money.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Slimwear
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
As noted, that does not look at all like a 73RS. I'd say that this thing is nowhere close to anything special and I agree it is only worth some of the big parts' market value. Lord only knows how much money it would take to make it look like SOMETHING, making it a potential poor use of your money.
I was trying to use the phrase "look a like" to imply that I didn't consider it anything like a RS but I think I was too subtle.

I agree with you Ed, the car is only worth the sum of the parts at this point. It does have some changes to the suspension and brakes as well but I'm not sure the extent until I see it. It appears that the money spent will be very cheap which is the only reason I'm considering it.

On a side note, I changed the oil on the Targa for the first time personally this past weekend according to the tips posted here. After working on the car for the last year or so I think this made me feel like it's owner more then any of the other projects. There was some spillage but not as bad as it could have been. A big oil pan seemed to be the key ingredient. Next up is troubleshooting the heater blower moter and polishing up the wheels.

Emery
Old 12-08-2010, 10:47 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

That is a very rough-around the edges car. I don't see the stay for the rear lower valence, the flares look wrong (likely aftermarket glassfibre) etc. Most of all, being a basterdized '68 body, I sorta suspect that there will be rust lurking... For no other reason than I suspect rust on any early car outside of a REALLY well-cared for one - which this may not be.

Saying that, I would value the car by totalling up the LIKELY REALIZABLE value of the parts, and then discount that number by 20 or 25% to account for the time and effort to dismantle and sell the parts. Of course, if the tub proved surpisingly solid and everything was in good functional shape, then it may end up being a good deal at that price. But my pricing method is very conservative, and I think that is the only way to go with a car like this, where there are so many potential "gotchas".

Good Luck!
Old 12-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

'least it ain't this '73

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2102421883.html

Quick Reply: Hodge Podge 1973 RS replica, guesses on the value?