Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

In Case You Missed This In OT...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak

This thread makes me want to check the injectors. Do you guys run the fuel pump (jumper) w engine off to check injector spray pattern?
SCs with Lambda have a switch on the forward (driving direction) side of the sensor plate housing. Pull the wire (blue connector) off that switch, and when you lift the sensor plate, ignition on, you will get fuel through the injectors. Make sure that you have all six out of the intake ports (NO flooding allowed), and have all six of them in small containers (Rubbermaid, lid from a spray paint can, etc.). Gently lift the sensor plate and watch the spray.

EXTREME FIRE HAZARD!!!!
If you can disable the ignition while doing this test it is highly recommended. EXTREME FIRE HAZARD!!!! It is always recommended to remove the injectors and test them in an injector tester, away from the car. EXTREME FIRE HAZARD!!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 02:26 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brilliant!!! Thank you, Dr.Zimmermann!!
Old 12-04-2010, 10:24 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete, Yes the '83 is still in Huntington Beach and unfortunately I have been on the farm inTx amost all year. Guess my boy will let me drive it when I get home for Xmas. I loaned your book to a buddy about a week ago and he had decided it would make a nice book for his collection. I am going to go over and get it back and buy him one for Xmas as a suprise. Hope the extra income does not put you upside down tax wise.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:34 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Follow up: The HC number dropped to an average of 83 ppm, from over 2000 ppm. However, not because of replacing the injectors. The other three gasses were almost not measured, and the SC passed easily.

You guys will NEVER believe how it passed. I still don't believe it, and I'm sure the smog tech still does not believe it. But it passed, and I looked at the printout last night. My friend did check the ignition wires, and replaced two spark plugs, and replaced the distributor cap. The HC number was over 1000 ppm after that, and it dropped when he got out some annointing oil, and put the sign of the cross on the engine and on the smog machine, and said quite a few prayers. It was totally unbelievable. Never seen anything like it, and never will again.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

LOL. There are definitely conditions, such as a brisk drive to the test station, that can right the ship - and get rid of residual HC. I don't have nearly enough info about your SC to answer the "why" of this event, but all is well that ends well!
Old 12-09-2010, 11:51 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Seriously. Dr. Zimmermann, that car was not gonna pass. I saw it last night, and I think what happened violates all known laws of science, including particle physics.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

That is one clean running SC, Pete! How old is the cat? And you guys are enhanced over there and have to run on the dyno even. Glad we don't have to deal with that! Also good to hear you are still running around in a 911.

Rusnak, that is pretty remarkable that your friend's car could be pumping out over 1000 ppm HCs and all of the other numbers were good and no miss . . . . was it fully warmed up the first time it was tested? On these older cars the cat often has to be freakin hot in order to work, but with those numbers, something is going on, at least intermittently. Good that it passed and you have 2 more years to figure it out at least.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:03 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Seriously. Dr. Zimmermann, that car was not gonna pass. I saw it last night, and I think what happened violates all known laws of science, including particle physics.
Dr. Porsche must have been summoned and channeled to help this car pass.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:10 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete, Good info on injector diagnosis. We hear a good bit of ignition and mixture tuning, but a solid injector diagnosis is a good thing to be able to cross of the list.
That pic of your coupe...that very well could be the "perfect" 911. That should be the cover shot of a 911 book...
Maybe Randy Leff. will do another coffee table book...
My best.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:15 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

The avatar pic looks like a late model 356, no?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

The avatar pic looks like a late model 356, no?
Heh, heh. '63 S90 coupe - on the Grapevine. Sold, long ago, but not forgotten.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:18 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That Super 90 is cooking.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:58 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Heh, heh. '63 S90 coupe - on the Grapevine. Sold, long ago, but not forgotten.
Well then THAT is a suh-WEET ride. I sorta miss that commute. Good hp test.

Quick Reply: In Case You Missed This In OT...