How to "open" door panel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:17 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera3.2LG50
I plan on replacing my door speakers relatively soon as well.
Good luck on the replacements, Marlon. Let us know how it goes when you're done.

I know the stock speaker size states 5 1/4". How is it, rusnak, that you were able to fit 6 1/2" speakers? Is the opening in the door panel really larger than 5 1/4? Did you have to drill any extra holes to make a larger speaker fit?

Thanks.
The PO probably did some work before I got the car, but it looks like a factory install, complete with the watershield. The previous speakers were 6" A/D/S reference series but were at the end of their service life. You really need to go with minimum 6" speakers and at least one amp if you want decent sound. IMO screwing the speaker into the sheetmetal produces a superior mounting, and better sound than into the door panel skin alone.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:59 AM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finished installing the new speakers. I bought a pair of 6 1/2" Kenwood speakers plus tweeters. I had plenty of room to place the speakers. I only was able to use 3 of the 6 holes. The Kenwood presets didn't fit all 6 holes. Nevertheless they are screwed in very tight. The sound is good. What you expect from $130 speakers.

Quick Reply: How to "open" door panel?