Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New DE-Prepped 911 Carrera Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 06:05 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
great looking car, i bet it's a blast to drive. those who DE/race regulary know what "DE prepped" means.

i sold my E36 M3 racecar and just bought a 78 911SC. I'm building another BMW racecar, but look forward to occasionally tracking the 911
Hi Joseph. Congrats on the sale of your BMW E36 race car. I'd considered picking up a track-prepped E36 from one of the bimmerforum members, but decided to go with an ultra-light DE car like our 911s.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:37 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

I thought I recognized your screenname from bimmerforums.

any idea how much it weighs? any composite panels or is it all steel?

this porsche fever is contagious. I may need to abandon the BMW build and make a 911 racer instead
Old 11-26-2010, 07:39 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

I thought I recognized your screenname from bimmerforums.

any idea how much it weighs? any composite panels or is it all steel?

this porsche fever is contagious. I may need to abandon the BMW build and make a 911 racer instead
Hi, Joseph. Our '88 prepped as is with 1/2-tank of gas is 2600 lbs. A/C, all sound deadening, and the stock interior panels have all been removed. The interior panels were replaced with much lighter materials (1st-class interior upholstery work for a DE car?!). The car's light weight and its superior steering, throttle and braking responses will make the '88 Carrera an absolute hoot to drive on the track!
Old 11-26-2010, 07:52 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

sweet. that's pretty darn lightweight for everything you still have in the car. your seats are reclining?

i can't wait to try my car out at the track.

what suspension does it have?
Old 11-26-2010, 10:06 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

sweet. that's pretty darn lightweight for everything you still have in the car. your seats are reclining?

i can't wait to try my car out at the track.

what suspension does it have?
Hi, Joseph. Yes the car's dynamics will be ethereal compared with the 3200-lb E36 4-door M3 on track. Yes the Recaros recline. The car's suspension is modified with larger torsion bars, adjustable Tarrett 25-mm sway bars (fr/rr), Delrin bushings, Bilstein race shocks. It's a wolf in sheep skin. I'm already planning its first outing at Putnam Park with 10/10ths Motorsports in April 2011!
Old 11-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

What are the alignment settings? Pics are subjective, but the second pic shows that t&e LH rear doesn't look to have much negative camber.

Were the shocks valved to match the t-bars?
Old 11-26-2010, 11:33 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
What are the alignment settings? Pics are subjective, but the second pic shows that t&e LH rear doesn't look to have much negative camber.

Were the shocks valved to match the t-bars?
Alignment settings are not agressive, but the car feels great: -1.2 fr, -1.5 rr camber.

I don't know anything about the valve matching between the Bilsteins and the Tarret sway bars.

I'm sure the Carrera purists will criticize my car for not resembling an '88 Carrera at all. I'm ok with that because I wanted a safe, reliable, fast, and reasonably-priced Porsche 911 DE car, and I have that now--despite it not looking period-correct (which won't matter at all on the track).

I'm enjoying the 911 Carrera experience, and am proud and to FINALLY be an official car-driving member of this community.

Thank you all, again, for the warm welcome.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:37 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

That was no comment on the looks of the car, obviously mine doesn't look like many '84's. Just my thoughts that a car that is prepped for the track would have more aggressive camber, particularly with larger torsion bars and adjustable sways.

The shock matching would be to the torsion bars, not the sways. If they aren't, it is something you want to consider. It makes a night and day difference in handling at the track. Going to Bilstein HD's may not match if the torsion bars were increased in size much. What size are the torsion bars now?

I didn't see any specs on suspension and brakes, which is why I originally questioned what "DE-prepped" meant. If you have to start doing anything in repair, maintenance and adjustment, you're going to need to know exactly what you have there. A track-focused car means this will need to happen from your first track weekend. For instance, "multi-piston" calipers and large rotors can mean a lot of diffent things. I've got 993 calipers all around on mine and 32mm X 309mm rotors in front, but that is only one combination out of many, many I've seen thru the years. Some run 930 calipers, some only Boxster or 964 calipers, some go with with what most truly consider Big Reds.

As someone who has spent a lot of time and effort (& money!) building a well-sorted Carrera, I'm just curious to learn more about what you have.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:01 AM
SleepRM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
That was no comment on the looks of the car, obviously mine doesn't look like many '84's. Just my thoughts that a car that is prepped for the track would have more aggressive camber, particularly with larger torsion bars and adjustable sways.

The shock matching would be to the torsion bars, not the sways. If they aren't, it is something you want to consider. It makes a night and day difference in handling at the track. Going to Bilstein HD's may not match if the torsion bars were increased in size much. What size are the torsion bars now?

I didn't see any specs on suspension and brakes, which is why I originally questioned what "DE-prepped" meant. If you have to start doing anything in repair, maintenance and adjustment, you're going to need to know exactly what you have there. A track-focused car means this will need to happen from your first track weekend. For instance, "multi-piston" calipers and large rotors can mean a lot of diffent things. I've got 993 calipers all around on mine and 32mm X 309mm rotors in front, but that is only one combination out of many, many I've seen thru the years. Some run 930 calipers, some only Boxster or 964 calipers, some go with with what most truly consider Big Reds.

As someone who has spent a lot of time and effort (& money!) building a well-sorted Carrera, I'm just curious to learn more about what you have.
Hi, Ed. I'm just too new to the car to know much except what I've already listed. I'd presume the previous owner (a long-time Florida and Kentucky PCA club racer and DE instructor in his late-50s) matched the valving to the torsion bars, otherwise the car would not feel as it good as it does now.

Since I'm the 3rd owner of this car, I leave the tech details to my Porsche tech who I've hired for car prep, trackside support, and hauling the car to track venues outside of Indiana.

Over time I hope to develop a deeper knowledge of these cars. For now I'm loving the feeling of finally having what I've been after for so long! Cheers!

--Manny (1988 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.4-L F6 track wolf, 1997 BMW 4-door/5-speed M3 3.2-L I6 daily driver, 2006 Saturn VUE 3.5 V6 AWD utility grunt)

Last edited by SleepRM3; 11-27-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:32 AM
The_Dolphin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ED: What are your alignment settings ?
Old 11-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The_Dolphin
ED: What are your alignment settings ?
Frt camber is -2.5 deg, rear is -2.1. I'm 1.5mm total toe in @ front and 4mm total toe in @ rear. Spindles raised 25mm, and my steering arms are reconfigured to minimize bump.

I've got 22/29mm t-bars with the Bilsteins custom valved to match the springs at my height. I've got Elephant's poly-bronze bushings all around, front and rear, as well as his monoballs front and rear. Running 225/255-17" Yoko R's full time....err correction now 245's at the rear, as they discontinued the 255's.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:07 PM
The_Dolphin
Rennlist Member

What is your ride height ? I want my front and rear camber like you , but my car is too low i think.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I can't remember off the top of my head.....it's pretty low. 24 1/4" at rear, 24 3/4" at front-I think. I've got it on my lift right now for some maintenance. I can probably measure when she comes down this weekend.

What camber are you running now...more negative than my specs, I guess if you're concerned about fitment?
Old 11-29-2010, 05:39 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Ed - From your Avatar picture I'd say you were closer to 24 and 24 1/2

But I also (think) I remember you raising it a little after going to Jae @ Mirage? Or did I dream that?

@SleepRM3 - great looking ride that looks like a ton oh fun.

I have the Tarrett Bars in mine they are great. Most of us just learn from each other on what works - and what doesn't works as well...
Old 11-29-2010, 05:47 PM
The_Dolphin
Rennlist Member

I have less camber than you for the moment. (-1.2 Front -1.5 rear). The guy who did the aligment and corner balancing were not familliar with old porsche. He used to work on 993. He did his best. The tech tell me he cant add more negative camber with this height. But from what i can see during this summer, i need more negative camber for sure.If you can tell me your ride height it wil help me, i need a new alignment and corner balancing before i put my car in storage. Thank you for sharing this information.

Quick Reply: New DE-Prepped 911 Carrera Owner