Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Race Seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 10:20 PM
cvfncrew
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Race Seats

I would like to ask the list about Race Seats.
I need good Auto-Cross Seats that I can put a 5 point harness through. I dont want to spend a lot of money on them but I also know you get what you pay for. Any ideas what kind of seats I should look into? Does any one have Corbeau (FORZA) and what do you think?
Thank for your help.

Christian
1972 911 RS clone
Old 04-22-2002, 12:12 AM
aquabat911
Instructor

I have Momo acropolis seats and I havent been very impressed with how the material has held-up. I have several rips where the harnesses rub and the material just seems to be rubbing off in other places, I can see through it. As far as driving goes, they make a huge difference. It is great when you can just worry about driving and not about holding on and driving. I have heard that sparcos hold up way better and I am considering buying a set to replace the momo. good luck,
Old 04-22-2002, 12:27 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
The <a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/MISC/POR_MISC_spseat_pg13.htm" target="_blank">Sparco Ultra</a> seems like a pretty good seat (I've sat in one) that you could swap in for track days and back out for regular driving. At $340, it's not too hard on the wallet.

My feeling is that the reclining seats, as a rule, are pretty useless for serious track or autocross use.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:39 AM
Jonathan Barnett
Track Day

I have a set of Sparcos in my track car. They have lasted well for 2 seasons now and they are very comfortable for racing. It makes a huge difference in the corners. You should be aware that, as with most track mods, they are not comfortable for street use. They are hard to get in and out of. They also will not last as long as regular seats as things get chaffed as you get in and out.

I have a couple of recommendations if you do choose to go the Sparco route. My car is a 67 911 and I believe that they did not change the seat mounts very much from my year to yours. I first purchased the adjustable mount kit for the Sparco seats. I found that it left the driver too close to the roof while wearing a helmet. I also felt as if the mounting hardware was loose. I ended up removing the adjustable mounts and just using the static ones. This lowered the seats buy about 2 - 3 inches and with the addition of some angle iron the mount was very stable. This, however, only works if you are the only driver .

Good luck,

Jonathan
Old 04-22-2002, 04:17 AM
Cookie Porsche
Instructor

Morning Christian,

As is said above a good seat makes a big difference when on the track. Corbeau makes good seats and they are a recognised and approved manufacturer.

I suggest that you stay away from any seat with a steel frame, or springs in the actual seat. As is noted elsewhere reclining seat are for sleeping, not driving.

All the other seat mentioned are good - Momo, Sparco, OMP, Corbeau, Cobra, bla bla are all FIA approved, and they are worth the little extra money.

As Jonathan points out, fit the seat as low as possible (headroom, safety and weight), forget sliding rails - once it is mounted correctly you'll never move it - unless your legs are still growing (?).

The seat must be bolted in securely. It is also important to follow the seat belt recommendations - 2" or 3" harnesses must be fitted correctly. Only use a good belt!

Regards - Tom.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:29 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Christian-

I used the Corbeau Forza seats in my '73 RS clone and have been completely satisfied with them. You should be aware that they are tubular steel frame seats and not fiberglass/carbonfiber shells, like the more expensive seats. They weigh about 16 lbs. each instead of 6 or 7 lbs., like the shell seats. However, they have several advantages over the shell seats, not the least of which is cost. You can buy a pair of the Corbeaus for the cost of one Sparco Evo.

The overwhelming advantage for me is that they are bottom mounted instead of side mounted, like the shells. I am a big guy, 6'4" and 215 lbs., and I needed to drop the seat height and move it back to obtain a comfortable driving position with a helmet on, especially since my car is a sunroof coupe. The overall width of the Corbeau and the bottom mounts made it easy to fabricate a custom angle-iron and bar stock bracket to lower the seat 1-1/2 inch and move it back 2", while still maintaining the adjustability of the sliders.

The lateral support is excellent, the fabric has held up well, and overall I am very happy with the seats at $200/ea. For longer trips on the street, without my helmet, I add neoprene padding to the seat bottom to increase comfort and raise my position slightly.

YMMV,
TT

Quick Reply: Race Seats