Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How long can and will you wait for your 911 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:03 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts
Default How long can and will you wait for your 911 ?

I have seen numerous newbies ready to buy a 911 ask questions about the car. Some ask similar questions for several months, even a year still without a 911 in their garage. Some say they want the car in 3 years and are doing research early in the game. While I am not the prototypical 911 shopper (Growing up in India, I did not know much about 911's and never did lust or dream of a 911), it took me one week to decide on the car. To kill some time when I was working late hours I was looking at Aston, Ferrari, Maserati and Porsche websites and instantly the 997 spoke to me through it's drop dead gorgeous looks (some here may not agree). Then it was a matter of just three steps: Affordabilty, finding a dealer within a 250 mile radius that has one close to what I like. (For an older 911 may be anywhere in the west coast), price of the car. So after I decided on a 997, I trespassed several 911 forums. Eventually during this process, I learnt about need about the must have options on a 997, 20 % discounts on new 911's. In a couple of weeks walla had a 997.2. You all very well know my story of how the 997 led me to the 3.2 (so I am not going to repeat that story) and that took me 3 weeks to find: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=76429. On both occasions I negotiated over the phone and pulled the trigger. Although it may appear to some that my decisions were somewhat hasty, trust me they were not.

I am all for due dilligence and appreciate people for their patience......but I just can't wait that long and does it really take that long time to do research for the perfect 911 if there ever was one. I may be able to wait .... but I would just have an emotional breakdown. See these two pictures I have enclosed one a 997.2 and the other one is a 3.2 Venetian blue coupe (a member X038F’s beauty. I hope he does not mind). How can I wait when I see pictures like these. I do salute all you waiters but would love to know how one can wait several months/years and what is the appeal of this is. I cannot treat myself to such prolonged anticipation . It would just mentally take a heavy toll on me. What about you…..everyone has a different story, how long did it take you. I would love to hear.
Attached Images   

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 11-04-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:11 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread. I will have to condence my story, but will post shortly. Ohh where to start...
"Waiting For A 911" very well could be the title of my biography.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:36 PM
yumyum1667
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's see I joined this community January 2004. I just bought my first 911 this past summer. I would research on a weekly basis and I still hardly feel like I know anything.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I looked for 3 months when buying Ruby. But that was related to lots of business travel.

When I bought my 928 in '06, I knew I wanted one, and didn't want a junker, like many are. I searched high and low and found mine in about 2 weeks or so. I flew to Scottsdale, wrote a big check for a perfect 26,000 mile '91 and drove her home 1100 miles in one day.

I'm pretty much about instant gratification too. I built an airplane in 7 months that many take 2, 5 or 10 years to do. I wanted to fly it.

I most likely will get Ruby a sister next year, and I guarantee you it will be a quick process when I pull the trigger.

I'd do it this year, but I'm buying the wife a Benz for Christmas as she retires the end of December. It's funny how I'm dragging my feet on that!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 PM
5:04
Intermediate

I'm a now kind of person also. I couldn't imagine waiting a year for a car I want now. I'd want to buy the car now and mod it to see how far I've gotten in a year.

I wanted to replace my Turbo Miata racecar with a 911 for track days. From the day I decided to sell my Miata to the day I bought my 911 was 3-4 months and than included parting out some high dollar parts to raise money and selling the car. Not to mention I started looking for a Boxster and then switched after I happened to get a ride in a 911 Targa from an ad I called randomly. About a month before I bought mine I called the seller and got the details. Two weeks later I set up the sale, and two weeks after that I drove with 3 friends to NM from CA picked the car up and drove home. I was up for 36 straight hours, and drove for 18 hours straight.

When I decide I want something it's typically a final decision and I'll do whatever it takes to get it.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Arctic1
Advanced

In Summer 2007 I set my sites on buying a Porsche. I purchased my 911 in Fall 2010.

Did I feel like I missed anything or wanted on sooner? NO. I was waiting on the right car for me.

That being said, during the 3 years while searching for the 911 I bought a 1997 Mercedes SL320 and a 1968 Triumph GT6.

All are great cars and my garage is now stuffed:
Attached Images   
Old 11-05-2010, 01:31 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

WootPorsche, your enquiry hit directly at my current situation.

Here’s my story:

For the past three years and counting, I have been waiting for my friend to sell his ’89 Carrera 3.2. You asked how one can wait several months or even years to purchase a car, well one word that I live by everyday to endure the long wait: Patience. However, before I continue, I must say I currently drive a 964 C4 that I’ve owned for over ten years.

I envy Rennlisters who find their dream car after only several months of research or even those luckier to have one fall unexpectedly on their lap. New model Porsche 997, GT3, and GT3RS are a dime a dozen in Hong Kong (not that I can afford one). But, another car similar to my friend’s car is very limited in HK. Bounded by adversity of supply/demand against buyers interested in older Porsches, I patiently wait for the day my friend sells his car to me. He knows I am very keen on purchasing the car. But since he’s in no hurry to sell it, I fear it will be counter-productive and even unrespectful if I begged him to sell the car now.

My wife, though very supportive, sometimes cannot help but lightheartedly laugh at my situation. She said if I had pursued a girl with such long and endearing patience and dedication, I’ll have easily won that girl’s heart!

Well, wish me luck.

Last edited by GT9111; 02-01-2011 at 03:06 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 11-05-2010, 09:54 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

My wife, though very supportive, sometimes cannot help but lightheartedly laugh at my situation.
LOL. if I had that support, my passion for Porsches would be a lot less stressful. Unfortunately, my wife is appalled at my lust for Porsches and what I consider the modest (comparitively to many I see on Rennlist) amount I have spent on them over the years. I also think her issue is knowing my Porsches are my mistresses.

in full disclosure, she is very frugal, and does not blow money on things I consider frivilous. her passion is our home. and if not for her I would have a new 997.2 or GT3 or turbo S along with my 85 911 and 84 928 and only God knows what else. and be up to my eyeballs in debt. all my toys are paid for, but that is also why they are older versions. actually I have owned my 911 twice, for exactly the reasons WOOT now has one. LOVE this generation 911, and also enjoy wrenching on them.

WOOT, you have worked very hard to get where you are and apparently can now afford your Porsches. many of those who lust in the shadows dont have the $$$.

Ed, next on my list is to get my sport pilot license and build a plane. I already know where I will grade a field out at our family's farm for the landing strip.

my neighbor who is a Ferrari fanatic, currently has a 550 Marenallo, his 4th Ferrari over the past 20 yrs. several years ago when chatting we agree our passion for cars, whatever the marque, is an incurable disease. treatment in the form of owning one or more helps ease the pangs/symptoms. he commented about the large collection his friend has where he stores his ferreri during the winter, and how that guy has a worse case of the disease. NOT, just has a lot more money to treat it.

I tell my wife the only difference between me and Jay Leno is the amount of money to spend on my passion.

I was almost 40 when I got my 911, the first time. then finally got my 928 just a few years ago, after an epic battle with my CFO. actually, the first time I almost bought a 928, I am convinced her reaction is what caused the massive earthquake in China.

to those waiting for their Porsche due to funds, you have my heart felt compasion.

hang in there and keep the dream alive.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Glenntpr
Track Day

I am 41 years of age and I purchased my first Porsche at age 28. Started with a 944, then a 928 special edition and later a 1975 911 S. I felt a bit intimidated from the beginning for my lack of knowledge but was fortunately enough to find many Porsche enthusiast willing to offer sound advised. I sold my 911s and believe me I gave it away. But marriage, relocating and buying a home was my reason to sale. At 41 my younger and beautiful wife would always call my attention every time she would see an older 911. So finally this year I found one stashed in Florida and I had to buy it. I received the car 4 weeks ago and immediately went into the paint shop. I already spent a few $$$$ but I extremely happy with my acquisition. You see once you drive one it you are either hooked or you are not really meant for the car. Its not like the car is meant for you. You are either a Porsche guy or you are not. It comes with great passion and the craftsmanship and performance are amazing. Now i take my 4 year old boy in the back seat for rides. Soon enough we will begin to do a few restoration projects. I might as well get all into it again. Take the time to find the right car and before that, talk to as many people as possible so that you can know what you are getting your self into. I am not much of a mechanic but I am extremely resourceful and willing to help any friend to turn a few wrenches. I like to take the car one of these days to the track but I am definitely afraid that I may get hook on racing this cars.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:23 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

You see once you drive one it you are either hooked or you are not really meant for the car.
+1, why I have owned my 911 twice.

I like to take the car one of these days to the track but I am definitely afraid that I may get hook on racing this cars.
be afraid ... very afraid....
Old 11-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Amar, great post as usual. You provide the best "human interest" angles.

I started considering a Porsche..any Porsche...in late 2008. I started looking at 996s, but after doing a little research decided sudden catastrophic engine failure wasn't my cup of tea (sorry, any 996 people...I still think they're great cars).

Air-cooled 911s were no "Plan B" - I'd learned to drive on my dad's '72 Beetle and had fond memories of looking at old P-cars in my town's VW-Porsche dealership. I bought Peter Zimmermann's book and started haunting the forums.

I saw a couple cars on the web that looked nice, but for whatever reason didn't follow up on them. I sat in an '89 Targa at a local dealership, and seriously considered getting it, but then ran across my car on E-Bay. It was just so much more beautiful than any of the others I'd seen...yes, I was smitten by a pretty face.

Following a month of e-mails and a trip to the PO's town to drive the car, I got it. It's the first 911 I ever drove. This is not the recommended way to buy one of these cars! My Porsche is a blast to drive but I do feel I should have gotten behind the wheel of others, just for comparison. I've joined the DC-area PCA chapter so maybe I'll have some chances in the future.

So in conclusion: I didn't wait very long. I love sports cars, life is short, and I wanna drive! Here's a picture of what I see when I squeeze into the sport seats and turn the key...sorry about the dirty carpet.

Last edited by Helios59; 12-21-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:03 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Ray,

my 911 is also white gold but with dk brn full leather interior. well.... now except for the Sparco seats.

the color combo is a big part of why I bought this one back.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:15 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

After having triumphs and alfa romeo's pretty much all my life I made the decision to get a 911. 10 years ago I started looking and within a month had a Baltic Blue 911 in the driveway. After driving the car for a month I could not figure out why it took me so long.

After my first autocross - I asked myself the same question - what took me so long.

After my first DE I asked myself the same question.

Now - on my third 911 - made it the way I want - I'm a DE instructor and really the only regret I have is not doing this ALL earlier. So wait for the perfect car? No way bubba - I'm enjoying myself.

First 911

2nd 911

3rd [current]

Owning a 911 is like watching ****. So much better when you are doing it.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:51 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

My wait was a bit longer then expected.

Drove my first 911 back in 1987 while I was still in college

My brother living in New Mexico at the time had a white 1968 911L with a metal widebody conversion and a modified 930 motor.
It even had "Centerline" rims.

Thought's of owning a Porsche was put on the back burner until I finished school, got married, had two wonderful daughters, moved across country twice and when I finally acquired a house with a two car garage I started my search in 2004.

Adopted my Targa February 2006

John
Old 11-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I got serious about buying one I fould a couple cars right away but they didn't work out. It was about 6 weeks to land on the car I did buy and a another couple weeks working out the details and getting shipped home.

However, I window shopped for 5 years.

Quick Reply: How long can and will you wait for your 911 ?