Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How long can and will you wait for your 911 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:56 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

W00t, thanks for starting such an interesting thread, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading everybody's stories!

My story isn't about a past purchase, but about a future purchase.

I am currently 22 years old in my final year of a Mechanical Engineering degree at the University of Toronto, and have been in love with Porsche's for as long as I can remember. Having said that it has only been in the past couple of years that I've developed an appreciatation for the 911 (pre 964), and only over the past summer that I have fallen in love with them.

I owe this love to the Rennlist community first and foremost (and will one-day purchase a membership to support this). The local "Rennlisters" up here in Canada have kindly allowed me to participate in their weekly get-togethers, where I have learned as much about the Porsche community as I have about the cars. For me, it's a weekly escape from the student life where I am allowed to be part of something that I am so passionate about, but presently unable to own.

One saturday morning this past summer a very generous Rennlister, the owner of a black on black '88 911 coupe, turned to me with a grin and said "you know what we should do?" as he tossed me his keys. Taken aback I replied "wow, I can't... not your 911... you drive". His reply was "if you want to go for a ride in my car, you have to drive it". As soon as I took a seat behind the wheel I knew that this was something special. This wasn't just a car, no, this was so much more. Looking down the hood between the headlights I knew that I was about to take my first drive in a 911. I don't think my hands have ever shaken so badly as I eased the gearbox into first. To say I was nervous is the understatement of the century. The owner obviously sensed this because he said "don't worry, if you break it I'll fix it", as if that was going to help ease my anxiety!

As soon as we pulled out of the parking lot I was immersed within a whole new world. This car took driving to a new level for me. The feel of the road through the steering wheel, the willingness of the engine to put me back in my seat, the mechanical feel of the gears sliding into place, and the breath-taking sound of that air-cooled flat 6! What a sound! The entire driving experience was so pure, it was entirely about me, the car, and the road... no electronic stability control or power steering to dampen the senses, this was driving in the truest sense of the word. I was probably grinning like a kid, hell, I sure felt like one!

It was over all too soon, but not a day has gone by since that I haven't though about the 3.2 Carrera. It is my personal goal to own one before my 25th birthday. I have also decided that my purchase must not be made until I have paid off all student debt, and can buy the car in cash. Not an impossible goal, and certainly attainable if I want it badly enough.

Until then, I continue to live my dream through your stories!

-Jonathan
Old 11-12-2010, 01:10 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to see you're hanging out with the crowd pre-ownership. Even though I didn't compete with my car, and it was in pieces shortly after I bought it, I was welcomed at the track and autocrosses. I'd help out wherever I could--timing and scoring, corner working, etc. Took me out of the social loop with other teens, but I tried to fit in with the crowd from mid-20s to retirement age. Met Bruce Anderson, Jerry Woods, Jim Pasha, Terry Zaccone, Walt Maas, Dwight Mitchell among the name names of the day.

Take advantage of guys letting you drive. They're cars. I let my friend's daughter learn to drive a clutch with mine. She was 13. 901 box in a 2100lb car with a 2.7RS engine at that time. Probably could have started it in 3rd.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:32 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool story, Jonathan!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Jonathan,

I can feel your passion and enthusiasm and it reminds me of exactly how I felt 20 years ago. Thanks for that. (Given that I just turned 45 yesterday.)

I was pleased to hear about your local Porsche group including you and especially about the guy who let you drive his car. That guys deserves many kudos for allowing you to experience the car and fuel the fire.

There is no doubt in my mind that you WILL get the Porsche 911 of your dreams! Don't forget the guy who let you drive... someday you'll be able to pass that on.

From all these stories, it sounds like many of us have a shared experience. I believe that the time waiting and dreaming, the saving and sacrificing, and the positive affirmation that "someday I WILL own a Porsche 911" makes it all the more sweeter when the car becomes yours.

I can attest it certainly felt that way for me and the joy and pride of ownership has not abated one bit since day one!!
Old 11-12-2010, 10:53 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jonathan, that reminds me of me, at 15 - and the Porsche was a 914-6. I fell in love with the sound, smells, and performance. I remember thinking the car was so ahead of it's time, and had amazing performance for such a modest looking thing. It's like meeting and falling in love with a girl you just met, knowing someday you'll marry her.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:27 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Thank you Jonathan for that great story. We can sense your excitement reading through those lines. I open this thread everyday and am amazed to read all these great stories. I however do feel somewhat guilty to be in such elite company who have spent all their lives lusting, waiting, saving and dreaming for THAT day when they would own a 911. Why...coz I spent a total of 12 weeks dreamin/searchin before I eventually started drivin both my 997.2 and the 3.2. At the same time I feel privileged. Good luck to all the searchers and waiters.....anyone in the pacific NW, let me know if you have any interest. I would be more than happy to let you drive my 911s.

Yes, I did acquire the 911 virus somewhat sudden and late in my life (just turned 40)....but trust me it is a very aggressive strain. I once again would like to thank this wonderful community for embracing me with open arms despite my backdoor entry.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 11-12-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:25 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Great story Jonathan

I had the same experience when I drove my brother's 911 when I was your age; an experience I will never forget and will never get out of my blood.

Took the Targa out this morning to drive my daughter to HS and I was thinking how many kids get driven to school in an air-cooled 911, probably not many

I think she is also infected since she has a picture of my Porsche on her cell phone wallpaper and plans on getting one of her own after college if she can wait that long

John
Old 11-12-2010, 03:03 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

My Porsche life started well-before driving age. I fell in love with the cars and when I visited my sister in the nearby town where one of the few Porsche dealerships in the Province was located, I would walk up to it on Saturday and spend a couple of hours just staring at the cars in the lot.

Eventually one of the salesmen asked me if I'd be interested in a job cleaning cars during the summer. I took it and within a week (I worked like a dog - my one and only talent) they asked if I could come in during the Christmas break and told me I had a job next summer if I wanted. Thus began a few summers of working at the P-car dealership which only ended when I moved on to an engineering summer internship.

Kept my interest in racing cars and things Porsche throughout my early adult life, but my real focus (outside of work) was competitive cycling.

Then when I was in Germany on business I took the opportunity to go to Stuttgart, to the museum (the old, small one) and go on the factory tour. Came back home wanting to get an older P-car to have some fun with and bought an old 944. I proceeded to tear it down to the tub and restore it (a process which is still not done).

Two years ago we were at a local Porsche club spring event where some people had cars for sale. My wife (bless her soul) suggested that I go ahead and buy one (another 944S) that looked like a good deal. Unfortunately, it was a slightly nasty experience as I agreed to buy the car at his asking price (and handed over a deposit before heading out to the bank to get the rest of the money when someone else convinced the buyer to rescind our deal and instead accept his offer of a few hundred more. This is important because it put me in the frame of mind of not wanting to experience having a car sucked out from under me again.

So my wife (again more blessings) was equally upset and started looking at other P-car ads on my behalf. That's when the opportunity to get the 911 came along. I had noticed this '85 on the local PCA site that seemed to be well-priced. Looked at it on the Friday night, thought it was promising and then showed up with my wife the next day, did a very detailed inspection & test drive (luckily I had already studied Peter Zimmerman's guide as well as a few other resources) and knew something. However, I knew others were coming to look at the car and we negotiated a price and bought it. Yeah, without a PPI, which is a stupid thing to do, and I knew better, but there you go.

It has worked out on balance. I actual had a Post-Purchase-Inspection done at a good local shop and the motor was excellent with very good leakdown and compression. However, the car was cosmetically not the best and I later discovered corrosion in the batter area (which I've since repaired). The car is slowly coming together (I've rolled a lot of re-fresh work in parallel with the suspension pan repair).

Probably I did not do a very good job of choosing mine (would have done better with more patience) but by the time I am done with it, it will be a very solid car. Looking back it seems like I saw a sudden opportunity to get a 911 and wanted to do it before the CFO changed her mind (or the seller changed his)! So short answer to the thread title: "Not long at all, once I saw the opportunity!”

They are special cars. Reflecting on your story Jonathan, I remember how cool it was as a teenager when moving the cars around in the lot. Just starting those flat-sixes with left-hand key would send chills down my spine. Still does.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Autarky
Instructor

I'm 19 see. I fell in love with Porsche's about two years ago. I've got a bit of time to wait before I can afford and own my first 911. So plenty of time to research and lust after! It's tough and it'll be a while. But it is so worth it! I've never driven a 911. I've never even sat in one. But I know it's the car for me.

So I'll be waiting as long or as short as possible till I own one.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Great story Jonathan

I had the same experience when I drove my brother's 911 when I was your age; an experience I will never forget and will never get out of my blood.

Took the Targa out this morning to drive my daughter to HS and I was thinking how many kids get driven to school in an air-cooled 911, probably not many

I think she is also infected since she has a picture of my Porsche on her cell phone wallpaper and plans on getting one of her own after college if she can wait that long

John

Great story, John! I have a four-year-old daughter and although she doesn't much like to ride in my Porsche, I'm hoping she'll come around by the time she's older.
This is one of my all-time favorite Porsche commercials featuring a very young Kristen Stewart from 1999.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnUHQFZ1icc
Old 11-12-2010, 11:44 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as we're doing commericals:

This was me, drawing pictures of Porsches on my schoolbooks in the second grade (age 7)
Old 11-13-2010, 03:18 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliot9
I'm intruding on a section of the forum I don't belong in but I figured I'd chime in:

I'm 20 years old and I've only owned a Porsche for 3 months now (85 944). I've wanted a Porsche since age 14, specifically a 911 since age 15. I'm in a little bit of a different situation than you folks however in the fact I am forced to wait because I can't afford a 911 (even a rolling shell would stretch my budget thin). I have my eye on 2 different 911s I'd love to own: a late 80s Turbo Whail Tail Slant Nose in a phantom gray type color (wouldn't matter to me if it was factory or aftermarket I just love hide-away headlamps) and a GT3RS in Mopar B5 Blue (don't ask, just in love with that blue on modern cars reguardless of make). Maybe one day I'll own one or the other, but realistically I doubt it, so I'll continue to work my life away chasing a dream that realistically won't happen (I don't have a lot of money or live in an area where I can make a lot of money doing much of anything). Not waiting by choice, waiting because I don't have an option.
Good post Elliot. I chimed in over on your 944 thread, so check it out. The madness that goes on over there becomes static, and gleaning any logic takes time and patience, just like obtaining any goal, including a 911.
I still intend to post my experience here although it's not unlike the others who drew 911s on there grade school book covers. I just got a job working on them when I was 18. Luck of the draw perhaps, but I've now spent well over half my life servicing/racing/restoring Porsche cars. I've owned them as well. No 911 right now, but one will be with me before it's all over. The community is my biggest perk from ownership. That's why I stick around over here in 911-land. The best group of collective car owners. I've been in a bunch of car clubs, Porsche(911s)have the best group by far.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

i love you too man ....:cry ing::cry ing:
Old 11-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Arctic1
Advanced

Jonathan - as a P. Eng. in Alberta let me wish you good luck with the studies. The profession has the opportunity to be a lot of fun, but most of the employers want to pigeon hole you. Don't let it happen to you!!

Its good to see a soon to be enginer appreciate the Porsche brand. I see too many of our colleagues doing a dis-service to the profession by purchasing practical cars (Toyotas, etc.) for whatever reason. To truly embrace the enginering profession I think we should be driving well designed and engineered vehicles - which I believe the German marquees have done very well (based on my Mercedes and Porsche experience).

I have 5 different vehicles and my favourites are my 1980 911SC and my 1988 Mercedes 300E (yes, a sedan). Both seem to be extremely well designed and very logical, while being fairly practical and more importantly FUN. Must admit tho, that my 1968 Triumph GT6 is likely the most entertaining but for other reasons.

Again, good luck with the studies and with the pursuit of the right vehicle.

jb
Old 11-14-2010, 06:09 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

race911: Not only is it a fantastic opportunity to surround myself with the cars I love, but hanging out with the local Porsche community is a great way to meet a lot of terrific people, and it's those people, like yourself teaching that girl how to drive in your 911, who are willing to share their experiences and vehicles with people like me that really "drives home" (excuse the pun!) what it means to own a Porsche.

GT9111:Thanks, and best of luck with your 3.2 acquisition!

Carrera3.2LG50: I hope that same passion you felt 20 years ago lives on today every time you sit behind the wheel of your 911! I am very lucky to be included in the local Rennlist group, it is all of them (you know who you are) who have fueled my desire to own a 911, and I certainly won't forget the gentleman who gave me my first drive in one, an experience I will most definitely pass on when I am able to.

BTW, your '87 is absolutely gorgeous, I love the Venetian Blue!

rusnak: Did you ever end up owning a 914-6? If I can find a girl that I am as certain about as I am about the 911, I will be a very fortunate man!

w00tPORSCHE: The way I see it, it doesn't matter if you've lusted after a 911 for 30 years, or if one got handed down to you despite no previous affliction, or if the dream realizes itself a few weeks after its conception - it's the love for the car that we all share, and how we came to love them is what differentiates us all and drives such interesting discussions as this one!

You have obviously worked extremely hard to get where you are today, and fully deserve to be able to turn your dream of 911 ownership into a reality. I followed your 3.2 purchase thread with great interest, and reading about the pride you take in your 911's brings a smile to my face.

GothingNC: It's fantastic to see that your daughter shares your passion for your 911, they certainly do get into your blood! My dad doesn't have the 911 bug like I do, but we share a love for performance vehicles and took the BMW Advanced Driver training this past summer. It was a fantastic day of driving, learning, and father-son bonding... although I'm still bitter that he posted a better skidpad time than me at the end of the day!

500_19B: Great story! I can definitely relate to visiting dealerships as a kid, just to dream! I still point out every Porsche I see as I walk around downtown... it drove my previous girlfriend crazy!

Your '85 looks awesome, and the 944 looks very clean!

Arctic1: Thank-you for the support! I'm certainly enjoying my studies, although am very excited to get into the real world! I agree with you about embracing the profession by driving well engineered vehicles, however I suppose many people simply don't have the same passion that we do, and thus don't care as much about what they drive.

Give me a few years, I am confident that there will be a 911 puchase thread with my name on it!

-Jonathan

Quick Reply: How long can and will you wait for your 911 ?