Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How long can and will you wait for your 911 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey Elliot,

You still have a Porsche! The 944 was the best-handling car of its time..it won a Car & Driver comparo back in the mid-80s. I love 944s.

I would have loved to drive a Porsche, any Porsche, at age 20. Enjoy it!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Elliot-patience young man! You have a long life ahead of you. Many people start with little or nothing, and are great successes. Enjoy your 944 and remain positive. Learn what you can, as often as possible, and don't be afraid to take a chance on yourself. Your younger years afford you a lot of time to change direction if you need to.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. My biggest problem is that I'm getting a degree in Automotive Repair and Technology so I can work at a shop one day, but my driving record is so bad from when I was younger and I used to be an idiot and race all the time that no one will hire me. I'm not exactly the smartest guy either so getting a degree in another field would be extremely time consuming and challenging for me
Old 11-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Hey, you seem smart to me. You recognize you made some mistakes in your past that may have some consequences today. I didn't make some good choices when I was younger-but time will make those fade away, and it won't take long.

Don't beat yourself up, you have a lot of time ahead of you to make a great life. Life's based on it all being a learning experience. At your age, I had a cast on my left leg for almost two years due to a bad episode on a motorcycle. I wasn't exactly pulling in and dollars for that period. It did get me a lot of sympathy from chicks at parties, so there were positive things happening then to occupy my mind!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

Thank you Ed. I don't give up hope I just try to be realistic also.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:29 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Elliot9, enjoy your Porsche safely in good health, be patient. Know your priorities, it is easy to get carried away. Ed (Ivangene), great to see you back. I've missed you. Good story too.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:11 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

OK .. I cant stand it any longer. Must go get the 911 out for a drive. been in the storage garage for a month since my last track event. been busy with a lot of 'get ready for winter and the endless honey do list' lately.

of course driving the 928 every day doesn't hurt.

but AHHhhhhhh. the 911 is still the ONE.

PS. Elliot9. at 20 I was washing cars, working in factories, and other crap jobs to work my way throught college. good luck to you on the adventures awaiting you in your life, and hope eventually they include owning a 911.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:42 PM
lhd7
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bought my first 911SC in 1986, 3.2 turbo look cab in 1990 and then had to wait until 2008 to get my 997.
Kids/school/divorce etc etc will do that!
Bought the 930 last week after looking for 2 weeks - saw the car and that was it.
Can't understand why anyone who can buy wouldn't - the perfect car/perfect price may or may not happen - buy a good one and enjoy it! -
Old 11-10-2010, 05:44 PM
lhd7
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's the 930
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2010, 06:44 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

lhd7, I always wondered how my white gold metallic coupe would look with the black anodized Fuch's (I have my wheels factory painted to match the exterior color). Thank you for answering that question...It looks great BTW.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:43 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow, that is a wonderful 930!

John
Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 PM
audi328
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ivangene
I think the truth is I really didnt think I was ever going to get one.
I can relate to the above really well...I've been a "car guy" since I was 13, when I used to pester the local Porsche dealer, a kind guy who always took the time to talk to and encourage me. I'm 36 now.

For years, there have always been "more important" things to spend money on: bills, mortgage, other car payments, etc. A fun/hobby car has been on the back burner this whole time, and I've come to the realization that if I don't just do it, then someday I'll wish I had. I'm finally in the market for a 911 - an SC or 3.2, the classic 911 when I was a kid. My wife and I don't have a ton of money to be sure, but we live a bit below our means, and I've managed to convince the CFO that ~$20K for a 911 isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on, did the PCA Quest thing, and test drove my first 911 yesterday (85 cab) in an attempt to narrow the search (got to get a handle on the whole 915/G-50 thing, right?) Great experience with a helpful and knowledgeable salesman, and looking forward to driving more.

The goal is to have a 911 in the garage by spring - I'm choosy, but not looking for flawless. Honestly, I'm tired of waiting, and I'm good at thinking things to death. I've been to so many car shows through the years, watched hundreds if not thousands of people motor along past me, a spectator, in everything from MGs at a local show to Ferraris at the Mille Miglia, and I want to participate at last.

While I want to be smart about it, I'm done with thinking I'll never get one.

Audi
Old 11-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audi328
I can relate to the above really well...I've been a "car guy" since I was 13, when I used to pester the local Porsche dealer, a kind guy who always took the time to talk to and encourage me. I'm 36 now.

For years, there have always been "more important" things to spend money on: bills, mortgage, other car payments, etc. A fun/hobby car has been on the back burner this whole time, and I've come to the realization that if I don't just do it, then someday I'll wish I had. I'm finally in the market for a 911 - an SC or 3.2, the classic 911 when I was a kid. My wife and I don't have a ton of money to be sure, but we live a bit below our means, and I've managed to convince the CFO that ~$20K for a 911 isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on, did the PCA Quest thing, and test drove my first 911 yesterday (85 cab) in an attempt to narrow the search (got to get a handle on the whole 915/G-50 thing, right?) Great experience with a helpful and knowledgeable salesman, and looking forward to driving more.

The goal is to have a 911 in the garage by spring - I'm choosy, but not looking for flawless. Honestly, I'm tired of waiting, and I'm good at thinking things to death. I've been to so many car shows through the years, watched hundreds if not thousands of people motor along past me, a spectator, in everything from MGs at a local show to Ferraris at the Mille Miglia, and I want to participate at last.

While I want to be smart about it, I'm done with thinking I'll never get one.

Audi
Welcome! I see you blew a few $ of your 911 kitty by joining RL on your first post, impressive! Where do you live?

I'm noticing a lot of talk about these CFO's........what's up with this? Y'all need to fire these employees and proclaim yourselves "Grand Poobah of the Family Finances".
Old 11-11-2010, 12:18 AM
audi328
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the welcome, Ed.

I'm in NH, up in the Lakes Region - plenty of great driving roads around here, and I bet they'd be more fun in a 911 than my Tacoma (love my truck, though.)

I sort of am the poobah of the finances, in that I balance and keep track of them...the CFO manages to retain veto power, however...so EXCEPT for that small fact, yup, I'm the poobah. At least that's what I tell myself.

Audi
Old 11-11-2010, 12:15 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

About two months for me, mainly to get the finances in order. Budget was $6K in 1980, which was just a bit more than what I'd saved through my teen years. Yes, it was the "college fund" that I blew. But the bad, bad influence of one of my high school teachers and his black T-5 (think it was a '62) Super 90 Roadster, combined with his bringing Panorama and The Nugget (Golden Gate Region newsletter) pushed me over into Porsches. Saw too many people having too much fun competing with these cars.

So I started looking at 914s and was wholly unimpressed by the condition most were in. And being 18, who didn't want speed. A near new 924 our bank repo'd was briefly considered. Must have been divine intervention they wholesaled it out, can't imagine what life would be like if I got that car.

Ended up looking at 5 or 6 local early 911s in my price range. Even knowing nothing about 911s, though I'd been working on cars (and farm equipment at my uncles) for 3 or 4 years at that point, I could easily tell which cars had 10+ years of the **** being beat out of them. Finally found a '68 that was a repaint, rust free, and modified into an "S" that a guy who'd just graduated from grad school at Cal was selling on his way out the door to France. No PPI, hardly a test drive, and $5K changed hands.

Then 3 months later in the middle of a 12 hour rally that we were leading I see all kinds of smoke out the pipes. Oops, major something. Holed piston it turned out. Pulled the engine out and apart, found '69 2.0S 9.9:1 pistons in there with the cylinders milled .040" for even more compression. Was just a matter of time before it blew.

Lots of stories from there, main one was that a local "we work on anything" shop hired me as a mechanic and I was able to make enough to morph the car into the IROC/RSR I'd envisioned, all while getting my first two years of college out of the way at the local JC.

The 8-9 other 911s I've owned (out of probably 20 that have been through my hands) have always come by happenstance. Either a customer wanted a newer one, or most likely wanted out of Porsches, someone would find me to tell me so-and-so wanted to sell, or I'd see an ad for a cheap/fixer.

Not particularly attached to any of them, mainly I see them as my choice of tool to use at the track.

Quick Reply: How long can and will you wait for your 911 ?