Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help!New Porsche Owner. What Things should I do first

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Poorsche Man
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help!New Porsche Owner. What Things should I do first

I Just got my '71 Porsche 911s the other day and i wanted to find out a few maintenance items that i can do to the car myself. I am fairly mechanical and I have not taken it to a mechanic yet. When ever I purchase old cars I always do the typicals, cap & rotor, plug wires, fuel filter, oil change, adjust valves. Is there anything else I could or should do at this point in time. Where is the best place to get the proper oil and fuel filters along with other items? Pelican? Hood stuts, Pelican?

The other question is that the car is kind of monster trucking right now and I wanted to lower it a bit. I know the procedure, but I don't know what the proper heigth of the car should or could be. Is an alignment recommended after I lower the car.

Thanks for the help,

Old 06-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pelican is very good. You can trust them to get the correct part, at a competitive price. You may want to pick up the 101 Projects book that Wayne, the owner of Pelican wrote. This will give you some ideas on what to do + more importantly, the proceedure to do them.

The recommended height is 25.5 front, 25 rear...
Old 06-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Poorsche Man
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I have the 101 Projects book. Its a good book that has a lot of general maintenance and upgrade procedures. Is there another more technical book I should get? Haynes?
Old 06-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haynes is worthless. Try looking for the factory repair manuals or the Bentley service manuals (I think they made them for early cars, didnt they?)

In addition to what youve listed, I would also change the brake fluid, change the trans oil, and make certain that the shifting and throttle linkages/cables dont need adjustment.

Im sure someone can recommend what trans fluid to use in your tranny.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, and congrats - welcome to the club!

Quick Reply: Help!New Porsche Owner. What Things should I do first