Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 vs 997

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Wait a minute: A buyer's guide is meaningless without some nice pictures...
Attached Images   
Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 AM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The above picture is a no-brainer for me!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:41 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

For me it is pretty simple . You have to have the passion to own a 911 classic .. if your concerns are maintanance costs, resale value general looks go buy the 997 cause you don't have the passion . Sorry to sound so blunt but that's just the way i sees it ..
Old 11-04-2010, 11:07 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Go drive both - then decide.

Some like the raw feeling of an older 911

Some like the insulated speed of a 997

For me - I started with a 964 - then went to a g-50 (1987) cabriolet - now have a 1974 911s hotrod
-----
My kids are 11 and 8 now - and I tell them they are cursed for life. (yeah yeah Dad) but I know that every time they hear an aircooled Porsche, every time they smell burned oil on an aluminum engine, every they hear that tick tick tick of an air cooled engine after a romp, they will think of me - even after I am long gone...
Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

W00t, that 997 looks great I must say. Nothing like an older 911 that "fits like a glove". They can be an aquired taste. Like drinking coffee black - maybe a little bitter at first, but after a few sips, you'll wonder why you never had it that way before.
I do know of a VERY nice 964 coupe for sale. C2, cup wheels, gaurds over beige/black. PM me for details - low 20s, 71K miles.

Drive them all and be patient. w00t is so dead on with his experience - he's the poster child for Porsche ownership.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:41 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

....and that is not even the best shot. Some members on the 997 section say that silver is so boring...one even said that he felt like vomiting when he sees that color. Mine is GT silver..it is different from artic silver has more depth, clarity, darkish shade to it, actually has a blue shade as the light fades. Porsche charges a 3K premium for this color..go figure. How do you like these two pictures Whale....these are the two best angles I think. (Thank you for those nice comments). Honestly it is people like you who enrich my ownership experience. Thank You. Ricster...is it still a no-brainer
Attached Images   
Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice. The 997 is the way it should have looked from 1997(hey, a pun). The teardrop quarter windows, roundish headlamps, and the roundish fuel filler door(on the wrong side) all bear a family resemblance. Silver is THE color of Porsche, the "jelly bean" and "Jordan Almonds" are novelties.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:48 PM
hbtd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr G, I went through a similar decision this past summer. I considered a 996 but realized it's still a $70K car that will will require $70K car maintenance. I could buy a $20K 996 buy I probably couldn't afford it.

I bought a 86 911 and couldn't happier. Much lower maintenance and insurance costs. As others have said, the sound, feel, and smell of a classic 911 can't be matched.

Something else I have noticed is that so many people on the road give me such positive responses with thumbs up, "nice car", "look at the Porsche". Not sure the 997 would elicit the same response.

Good luck with the search.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:12 PM
lhd7
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 997 C4S - awesome and very capable car BUT it doesn't feel like a 911
If you have never lived with an aircooled 911 then you probably are better off with the 997 as easier to drive adn a whole lot more comfortable.
I have just added a 86 911 turbo as I missed that special feel from no power steering, smaller tires, lighter body and the reality that there is no electronic nanny to get me out of trouble - heck the thing doesn't even have airbags - imagine!!!
As a daily driver go with the 997 - if you want a big grin on your face all weekend then 911 is the way to go
Old 11-04-2010, 02:53 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

I've owned older 911's, a 993 and a 997S, all pretty recently.

If maintenance costs are a real issue I probably wouldn't recommend any of them. The 997 is very reliable (mine definitely was), but if something goes wrong it will be pretty expensive. The older car will more likely be a somewhat constant stream of cheaper stuff.

No one can decide for you. They are VERY different. The driving experience is very different. The 997 is just numerically better in every possible way while the older 911 is idiosyncratic and unique.

My 997S is fantastic if you are pushing its very high envelope. IMO, it's a bit boring at normal speeds and traffic. It can do anything in comfort and style. If you care what other people think, then it's a much more "impressive" car to the general public.

My '74 is fun at any speed. It smells funny, little things constantly need tweaking and adjusting, the steering wheel wiggles all the time and the manual brakes require a hard stomp. The heater sucks, the gearbox is wonky, it's got power nothing, and it's relatively hard to drive.

The 997 is one of the world's great modern sports cars. The older 911 is a hobby that happens to have wheels on it. For me it was an easy choice. I sold my 997S and bought a '74 hot rod.

If you can't decide, a 993 is a good compromise. It's got 75% of the older car's character and 75% of the new car's performance. Some people see that as 150%, some as 25% short both ways.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:06 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Lots of really great advice here. Definitely a drive or two is a prerequisite to make sure you will “like” the car.

Here is my take:

It sounds like you are well-positioned financially to get into a pretty nice SC or Carrera, but a nice 997 is not quite in your budget yet, so the choice seems to be: Wait for 997 prices to come down, or get a classic.

Simple: Get the classic 911 (assuming you like driving them).

Well bought, a good, original condition SC or Carrera will still be worth what you bought it for a few years from now. No one really knows, it might be worth a bit less, it might be worth a bit more, but I highly doubt that if you spend $20K on a GOOD 911 today, that it will drop to, say, $10K three years from now. So, if you later decide that you’d like to sample a 997, it will be possible to sell the 911 and recoup a good portion of the original investment. Of course, the annual spend on maintenance will be separate, but consider that part of the variable cost of having the fun of driving a Porsche.

This rings especially true for me this week. A friend of mine passed on quite suddenly. He was an Alfa Romeo enthusiast and often spoke of getting an older one and riding with his son in it. For various reasons, it never came to pass and he was robbed of that opportunity. Life is short and you have to balance planning for the future and living for today. However, it sounds to me like you have been fiscally very responsible and have the important things taken care of. Go for it, say I.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Mr. G
Track Day

Thanks everyone. 500_19B, your post really hits home with me. g-50Cab as well.

When I was a kid, my dad had a crazy car (Rover 2000TC) which he was convinced was a sports car. We drove everywhere in that car (he took delivery in England, drove it through France, Italy, Germany and then shipped it back). I still have fond memories of that stinky little car. Now my kids are old enough for me to drag them around in the cramped back seat of a 911. So its time.

No disrespect to 964/993/996 owners but the only generations of the 911 that "do it" for me are the classic (pre-964) and the new 997. I don't need to go fast. A sporty car is fine for me.

Feedback from this forum and the 997 forum (they are also pushing me towards a 911) are very helpful.

Fortunately, I'm in no big hurry so I can wait for the "right one". But I want to pull the trigger while my kids are still small enough to fit in the back.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Silver993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the way PeterS described the 993 , "It's got 75% of the older car's character and 75% of the new car's performance."
I purchased a 993 a few months ago. I've owned an SC for 15 years and it was my daily driver for many of those years. The SC provides more of an engaging experience to drive. I don't mean to imply that it is better, but it is engaging. It's more raw, while the 993 is more refined. Driving the SC requires both hands, the clutch can make your leg tired in traffic, you'll need to yell to talk to a passenger (forget making a phone call), the A/C is just useless and it's best to leave the radio off, rather than trying to blast above the engine song. However, if these minor things don't bother you, the SC is hard to beat. It's great fun to drive. The engine tone is truly music. The handling is a thrill - you'll feel more connected to the road. Parts are not too expensive and are widely available. My SC is very reliable, even at 30 years and 175k miles.

Referring back to what PeterS said, the 993 gives me much of this experience. Inside the car, there is not much difference to notice - the dash is almost identical and the engine song is there, although muted. The 993 takes less muscle to drive and it provides more comfort (A/C, quiet, heated seats). Some of the experience is missing, but it's a better daily driver, at least for me.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:43 PM
997for40
Instructor

Originally Posted by yumyum1667
I know this sounds strange part part of the thrill of my 88 is the smell. It has that old school smell and not the new car smell. You just know you are in a classic even with a blindfold on.

I totally agree my wife hates the smell but I love it, any chance I can give her a little bit of misery..priceless..

Like a lot of people said, two different cars and it's a matter of preference. I recently sold my 06 997 and had no complains about drivability , great performance but something was missing. After a couple of months of owning it, I was back in the market again for a 911. I found myself a factory widebody carrera and never been happier with the purchase. The sound of the air cooled engine and unique factor is totally pure 911. This is how I remember admiring these cars back in the 80's. This is my daily driver now 220K on the odometer and months will go by before I see another widebody, not like my 997 it was way too common. I just had the car smogged, pass with flying colors and the smog tech even commented that they don't make em like they use to.
I totally agree about the comment about peoples responses on the road, I would get thumbs up with the 911 but with the 997 all I get were dirty looks...

Quick Reply: 911 vs 997