Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Blinkers on the blink

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 06:27 PM
Matt.
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Blinkers on the blink

For the last couple of mornings, I drive to work and the turn signal indicators (on speedo) blink rapidly (both sides). I get in the car to drive home (considerably warmer outside, hmm) and the signal indicators work fine. At this point I have not had either the foresight or the presence of mind to check if the actual signals are working, so forgive me for omitting what is probabily the most important detail . Thanks for any input!
Matt '80SC
Old 06-13-2001, 08:12 PM
George 86T
Advanced

Talking

So go out and look!!

George 86T
Old 06-13-2001, 09:22 PM
Greg-slant/cab
Advanced

Matt,
I dont know if this holds true with Porsche. My daily vehicle (Acura SUV) was doing the same thing until my brother called me stupid and told me to fix the light that was burnt out. Apparently some sort of warning letting you know that a bulb is burnt.
Old 06-14-2001, 11:55 AM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
usually it's one of the bulbs burnt out, or corrosion in the socket.
Old 06-14-2001, 01:48 PM
Jdub
Instructor

With the blinker on, go to the offending signal and gently tap on the lens cover. If the signal suddenly works better you have a corroded socket/bad ground.

Fast signals indicate that one of your blinkers do not work.

Replace your bulbs with Jahn or Phillips to maintain correct current. Do not use standard US bulbs.

Jw
Old 06-14-2001, 03:10 PM
Matt.
6th Gear

All good advice, but the issue is that they blink rapidly in BOTH directions. Usually if it's a bulb issue it will only blink rapidly on the affected side... Furthermore, I'm concerned by the fact that they (indicators) blink rapidly in the morning and regularly in the afternoon, thus indicating a poor connection that's heat sensitive somewhere in the car. Where would that connection be?
Old 06-14-2001, 03:20 PM
Jdub
Instructor

Do you park your car outside, or in a garage that gets wet? It may not be heat, but rather condensation driven out by the average day's heating up and evaporating the moisture.

Here's an exercise I would perform regardless of your current problems: doing this really sharpened up the car's nightime lighting. I would spend the weekend with a package of European-spec. bulbs, pulling the blinker assemblies, cleaning the assembley silver backing with lukewarm water (for a nice refractive backing), soak the lenses in hot water and toothbrush out the dirt, reassemble with new or cleaned bulbs (ALL Euro.), and fresh gaskets or use 3M sealer, in black, to help seal up the assemblies.

No guarantee it will solve your (relay?) problem, but certainly a worthwhile way to spend an afternoon.

Jw

Quick Reply: Blinkers on the blink