Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

12 Volt Plug--Chock Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Alpine 88
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 Volt Plug--Chock Ideas?

I've been using an adapter to split the juice from my cigarette lighter so I can use my radar detector and my GPS at the same time. Like a modern car. The adapter has a rather small plug on it, which isn't a problem in my other cars, but in my '88 it's always falling out, leaving me with no radar detector or GPS. So lately I've been chocking it with pieces of folded up paper, but there's got to be something better. I don't want to put duct tape on the plug because then it'll be too thick for the other cars. Before I start looking all over the house for something clever, I wonder if anyone has ever dealt with this annoying little issue. Any ideas?
Old 10-18-2010, 01:11 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Say your GPS or accessory is running on 3 or 4 volts. You wouldn't run 12v but you can hardwire it to the fuse panel. With a connector plug, you get a reliable connection and still you can remove the accessory when not in use.

Find a good plug location under the dash, and then you can step down the voltage between the panel (12v) and the plug by installing the adapter upstream of the plug. Take the ciggy plug adapter, knock the chrome off with a belt sander, and solder some 12ga wire to the tip and side connector, then wrap in electrical tape. Crimp the adapter cord to the plug. Presto, now you freed up the ciggy socket for emergency use only.

I also installed a second ciggy socket in my console storage box for the cell phone charger adapter.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:18 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

The older European lighter sockets are a different (slightly larger) diameter than modern ones. There are sleeve type adapters that adapt them to be snug with modern plugs.

From Wikipedia:

12-volt cigar lighter receptacle and plug, size A:
* Receptacle inside diameter: 20.93 - 21.01 mm (median 20.97 mm)
* Plug body diameter: 20.73 - 20.88 mm (median 20.805 mm)
* Most often used in American automobiles.

12-volt cigar lighter receptacle and plug, size B:
* Receptacle inside diameter: 21.41 - 21.51 mm (median 21.455 mm)
* Plug body diameter: 21.13 - 21.33 mm (median 21.18 mm)
* Most often used in European automobiles, and sometimes as a second socket in American automobiles expressly for DC power connections.

Quick Reply: 12 Volt Plug--Chock Ideas?