Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Agnus And Me, The Beginning of a Long relationship. A Short (long) Story.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 04:06 AM
snpgotyou
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agnus And Me, The Beginning of a Long relationship. A Short (long) Story.

The Love The Jealousy and The Hate

I met Agnus online. Craigslist to be exact.

It was Love.

I had to have her no matter how far she was.

Agnus, by the way is From Boston, a Black 1982 911SC.
Me? I'm from NYC. Stationed in Fort Bragg, I went home for a week to relax. Thats when i decided to go up and see this beauty.

I was...surprised when i saw this "beauty" . It wasn't what i expected at all.
She looked old, used. Fading, cracking paint. But i didn't think i'd care. They say beauty is on the inside right? It wouldn't hurt to have a conversation right?

The air cooled flat six mouth of hers amazed me. She had alot to say. First gear 5 thousand RPM into 2nd.......I was sold.

What attracted me more was that she's been with only 2 other persons. She doesnt smoke, leak or whine of any kind. Had paperwork for all the oil changes, immunizations and what not... What a lady.

she was mine

Agnus and i took a road trip to Albany after i took her in. I figured we could get to know each other more and meet my girl friend. But little did i know, that was a pretty bad idea. The 3 hour drive there was great. The breeze coming in through the moon roof and the amazing New England Fall foliage whizzing by as we cruise down the I90.
I parked her in front of my gf's place, introduced them to each other and went in with my gf. I thought to myself. What a Great Day.

Little did i know, Jealousy was building inside Agnus overnight after meeting my gf.
The next morning when i go to start Agnus, She starts nagging at me. 1 thousand rpm, 2 thousand rpm, 5 hundred rpm, Slience. I start her up again. The same.
The 3rd time, i started caressing her throttle, and she calmed down at a steady 1 thousand rpm

What a Jealous bitch. And that attitude!

And on top of that, She cost me an extra 900 dollars in taxes and fees. Shes already reaching in my pocket!

Surprisingly, i didnt have any problems with Agnus for the next few days. I talked, she listened, she talked i listened....Untill our drive down to Fort Bragg, NC.
Half way through the drive, i decided to take a break from driving and we pull over at a rest stop. Thats when she gave me the silent treatment. She wouldnt budge at all. No crank, no nothing. I had to push her to get her to start. Luckily, i had help from a stranger who claimed he was a mechanic whom works on Porsches, Bmws, and Audis. He said it could be a faulty switch, the switch that prevents the car from starting unless the clutch is depressed, (aka neutral safety switch or similar.) or it could simply be the starter. Who knows.

Is she starting to hate me?

No, She already hates me

The oil gauge is at the red. But the Druck press gauge is steady between 3 and 4 at 3000 rpm at 5th gear and the oil temp was cool.

I continued on to see what will happen. She ran pretty smooth.

We had to stop for gas and i was worried that she wouldnt start again so i left her on for the entire duration of the journey. Pit Stops, Rest stops. Etc.

She now sits in the parking lot with her wide round eyes. Waiting for me. Waiting to see what i will do. I have yet to start her. I figure i'd give her a night to cool off.

Lets she whats she up to tomorrow!

Last edited by snpgotyou; 10-17-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:07 AM
snpgotyou
7th Gear

Sigh.

Last edited by snpgotyou; 10-17-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:11 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this like one of those word problems in school??

SCs don't have any switch that requires you have the clutch in or car in neutral. That was way before the lawyers got involved. If the car doesn't crank I'd guess it's an ignition switch going bad. I suppose that could also cause your car to stop running too, or maybe you also have a bad CD box.

PS. don't use that "Porsche mechanic"...
Old 10-17-2010, 01:58 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Cool story, Ill be the one to point out that pics are required 'round here. Welcome to the obsessed.

You got it right, old cars are very much like women, they require some TLC, some understanding, they arent perfect but they sure are a lot of fun to play with. The best part is their problems CAN be fixed

Hot start problems like your's are fairly common, there are a few culprits to track down, most times with what you describe if you let her sit for 1/2 hour to an hour she'd have started back up again without complaint. I'll let others that know WAY more than me go into that with you, I'm still working on fine tuning my own persnickety gal.

Good luck and remember this is fun
Old 10-17-2010, 02:04 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Oh Yeah, your oil gauge sounds normal. After it's FULLY WARMED UP look to see if it's around the middle at IDLE it will dip down to the red on the highway I assume since all the oil is busy flowing through the cooling system. Mine is about perfectly tuned so I can look through the back window and see it show me about the same thing the stick does.

First thing you need to know if you don't already, to accurately measure your oil it has to be warm and the engine running, take off the cap (the idle will drop a bit) and check the dipstick, I follow the "keep it in the middle" train of thought, there's about 2 quarts between the dots. Don't do this cold or w/ the engine off.

Happy reading, you are about to spend all your waking time searching down the "is what my car doing normal" items you will start to find.

BTW, my car came from Long Island, her name is Glenda, the good witch of the North. Some days she rears the head of her sister from the West but not much
Old 10-17-2010, 02:49 PM
snpgotyou
7th Gear

Added a picture.
these cars have quite an attitude....
She started right up this morning. = )

But the Oil gauge is at the red even on idle!
" Is that normal?" Haha

Whats the difference in the oil gauge and the druck press gauge??
Old 10-17-2010, 03:13 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Nice looking SC. Looks like a fairly unmolested car. Yes, they certainly can have an attitude, mine hates to be rushed in the morning much like the original woman of the house here

No, that's not normal, you probably need a quart of oil at least. Warm it up and check at the dipstick inside the oil cap on the right side of the engine.

The Oil Pressure is just that, pressure (it would drop if you had failures in one of several different areas, longer discussion). The other is simply the oil level in the oil tank. You have a dry sump system which means most (but not all) of the approx. 12 quarts of oil running through her is there in the oil tank and cooler/lines.

Did you sell the WRX for the 911?
Old 10-17-2010, 06:20 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Did you get an owners manual?
Old 10-17-2010, 07:15 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil level gauge, even the dipstick, are not reliable until the car is warmed up and idling at least a minute on level ground. What ever you do, do not check the oil like on the Subie.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John Forbes at Black Forest Racing can help you. He is in Lincolnton, NC 1 800 267 9299.

He is a good guy and will not gouge you.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least check the oil with the dipstick.

Brett
Old 10-17-2010, 08:51 PM
roverguy
Track Day

snpgotyou:

Did you buy the 91 from a guy in Swampscott?

Looks like one I looked at a few months ago. Price seemed fair, divorce I think, but I had my heart set on Red, which I finally found.

If that's the car he hasn't done the Carrera tensioners; would be a wise thing to do.

In any case good luck with the car.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:41 PM
snpgotyou
7th Gear

She sits in the parking lot slowly tearing.

roverguy:

I met up with him up in Salem. Thats fairly close.
Ill keep the Carrera tensioner in mind.

Daniel Dudley:

Thanks. I was searching for a Porsche shop in NC. Black Forest Racing did come up in my search along with Speed Werks and European performance.

I guess ill check them out though i don't plan on fixing her up anytime soon.
Headed for Afghanistan in a few months so i plan to take her to a shop when i get back.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:25 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you mean Agnes? Agnus is latin for lamb.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:44 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Each time I've opened this thread, I've read the title as Angus. It's made me want to go out for a burger.

Quick Reply: Agnus And Me, The Beginning of a Long relationship. A Short (long) Story.