Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

88 Steering Wheel Restoration Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:36 PM
syzygy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I'm a little late. Patience is a virtue...?

So the collar mentioned above is the column surround with the signal and wiper stalks sticking out of it, right? If so, mine is black as well as the material behind the gauges, but my wheel, knee pad and dash are all blue.
Attached Images    
Old 10-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

No...the collar I am talking about is the blue collar in your second photo to the right of the black surround pieces with the stalks coming out...my surround pieces are black also, but the surround collar at the base of the steering wheel is Marine Blue which leads me to believe the steering wheel should also be Marine Blue.

Got in touch with the Dallas Steering Wheel folks and they have a horn pad with the PORSCHE indented lettering. My wheel is off to them on Monday to be recovered in Marine Blue leather and they can dye the black horn pad they have Marine Blue to match...a little bit closer to original condition.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:22 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Question #1
Did the steering wheel leather cover on Carrera four-spoke steering wheels match the interior color of the vehicle or were they black?

Question #2
Did the "PORSCHE" lettering on the horn pad come standard? My horn pad doesn't have any lettering.

I am going to get the steering wheel recovered and want to make it look stock.

Thanks!!!

What exactly do you need?

I think I have a horn pad like the one you mentioned.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

One without the lettering?
Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
One without the lettering?
No, mine has the lettering indented.

And I believe it is blue. I will have to dig it out to check the condition.

No! the pad is black but the wheel was blue.
Attached Images  

Last edited by psychoideas; 10-20-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:10 AM
ricster
Banned

Don will treat you well. Let us know what you think when it comes back as good as new.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:13 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think what you are calling "surrounds" is actually the two halves of the "clam shells". Also, the leather collar mentioned is, I believe, rubber. Mine is. Do you have the raised hub on your wheel? If so, I recommend you remove it prior to shipping to whoever repairs it. In syzygy's pictures, he does not have the raised (extended) hub. It is an extender about and inch thick that bolts on the bottom of the wheel & puts the wheel closer to the driver.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:05 PM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been down this road, it is futile. My wheel was burgundy as is my interior. I got it recovered by it didn't match the rest of the interior because it lacked the patina of a 25 year old car, and I wasn't willing to wait to locate a VG condition used one. After trying a number of approaches to getting a matching wheel I gave up and went another way.

I chose to replace mine with a 930S wheel. You can get them from Sunset Porsche for $330+shipping. It is the best deal going on what is the very best wheel for these cars hands down. The black wheel looks great with any Carrera interior.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the heads up...I have elected to keep the current steering wheel cover (which is only one year old) as it has started to "weather" and is a pretty darned close match. I am sending it in to repace and dye the horn pad with one that has the lettering. I spoke to Don in Dallas and he said he'd take a look at it and see if he can match it. Currently the horn pad is black and you really have to look hard to see it. I'll keep you posted. I will take a look at the 930S wheel...
Old 11-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Just to close the loop here...

Worked with Don at Dallas Steering Wheel and had a very positive experience. We spoke and traded e-mails several times and he was very easy to work with. He gave me several options and I finally elected to have a full redo.

He did the work in just a few days and sent me multiple high-resolution pictures of his work and solicited feedback from me on his work before ever asking for a dime. Once I wrote back that all looked good I paid him and he shipped it out the next morning.

Here's his info if anyone is looking for steering wheel work:

Don Le
Design Engineer
1625 Lone Hollow
Garland, TX 75040
(469) 449-7973
info@dallassteeringwheel.com
http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com

Thanks to Ricster for recommending Don to me.

Happy Motoring,

Geno
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Arctic1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geno

Wheel looks great. Got a bit confused following the thread - did you end up re-wrapping the wheel or did you leave it as is.

Am looking at getting the wheel on my 80 SC re-wrapped and didn't know if it was a DIY effort or best to let the pro's handle it.

jb
Old 11-14-2010, 04:26 PM
ricster
Banned

Glad you liked his work Geno. He did great by me also. I only recommend someone if there work is exceptional and his work is. Notice all the gaps are nice and tight. Arctic1 I would let a pro do it if you want a factory finish. I tried it once on another wheel, I could not get the leather tight enough.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Did the full re-wrap...heck, it's only money, right? Not sure how difficult it would be as a DIY...bet you'd end up paying more if you weren't trained to get it right.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine is the dark blue to match interior. I restitched it myself and now 4 years later want to do it again. Cant believe it's 22 years old. Still looks perfect.

Quick Reply: 88 Steering Wheel Restoration Questions