Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1980 SC @ DE

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010 | 11:07 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Originally Posted by scott555
I have this same problem! Looked for over a year to find the perfect 911 for me...my first...and now want to track it, but it's too nice! What a conundrum!
Check out Pelican with Wayne with his 962 on the streets of Willow.

Many people said that to me about my old 1987 G-50 cab with spectacular paint and under 70,000 miles. I waxed it before I went - and it was in better mechanical condition than any other 70,000 garage queens.

If you have an original 1968s or a 1973 RS - then I might agree with you - but as long as there are guys out there driving 962's/Carrera GTs's and GT3Rs's really - go drive your car - it will really appreciate it. (or you can save it for me one day --- I promise to buy it, take good care of it, and drive the living **** out of it)
Old 10-14-2010 | 11:27 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
A little track time never hurt any 911. To the contrary.

And with such products as the temporary wraps available, minimal risk. No worse than a public road, IMO.
Originally Posted by g-50cab

Many people said that to me about my old 1987 G-50 cab with spectacular paint and under 70,000 miles. I waxed it before I went - and it was in better mechanical condition than any other 70,000 garage queens.
Eggsacktly. Case in point!
Old 10-15-2010 | 05:28 AM
tvanbroekhoven
Track Day

After a good day of track work in my SC the engine runs better, it shifts better, it sounds better, it just feels like a happy car :-)

Only the braking tends to be spongy sometimes
Old 10-15-2010 | 07:42 AM
scott555
Intermediate

Lol @ g50cab ... That was stated very well.

I may have miscommunicated a little.. I meant mine was too nice to turn into a track car. I definitely plan on having some DE and regular track days in it... But id also like to make it look like a race car. But after having seen your IROC build thread, and as nice as yours was prior to the conversion... I have less reservations now.
Old 10-15-2010 | 08:21 AM
ricster
Banned

I'm with Scott. I mean, I would like to throw a roll cage in it etc.
Old 10-15-2010 | 11:34 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

I may have miscommunicated a little.. I meant mine was too nice to turn into a track car. I definitely plan on having some DE and regular track days in it... But id also like to make it look like a race car. But after having seen your IROC build thread, and as nice as yours was prior to the conversion... I have less reservations now.
HA HA - No problem - you just hit a nerve...

There are plenty of bolt in/bolt out roll bars out there. There are plenty of race seats you can do the same. But really I know plenty of folks with stock cars out there at the track (such as the SC that Jay originally posted about) that drive safe, and have a bunch o fun at the track. Sure we would all like to have dedicated track cars - and play cars - hell, I'd love to have Jay Leno's money and car collection. But in reality - I have my play car, and I'll make the most out of it.

Really though - I think that now the PCA has a pretty standardized instructor/instruction program, you are probably under more risk driving your car on the street than the track. IF you keep yourself in check, recognize when the red mist starts flowing and adjust accordingly you'll be fine.

Mine was going to be much more track car than street car... but with the kids prodding - I installed the roll bar so it could be taken out and will take the seats and harnesses in and out for the track. (they liked being dropped off at school in it)
Old 10-15-2010 | 11:35 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ricster
I'm with Scott. I mean, I would like to throw a roll cage in it etc.
Guys, you need to look at the cab Jeremy sold recently. The ultimate Hybrid: Street/Track, and a sleeper IMO.
Old 10-16-2010 | 12:52 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
GT3's make bad drivers look good. It takes a really good driver in my opinion to fly in a SC in my opinion.
Well said and thanx for the compliment
Old 10-26-2010 | 10:14 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have the same battle with my '85 911. Being a school teacher, if I ball it up I can't replace it. I tracked it a couple of times in the past and it was to soft in the suspension, but it was still a blast. I also can't afford to build it up the way I want, so a street car it will remain.
Old 10-26-2010 | 01:27 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

I love tracking the SC - plenty fast enough, believe me. And does it rev! After a day of drifting everywhere it doesn't half kill the arms though. I feel relieved to get in the 930 after that

Quick Reply: 1980 SC @ DE