Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need Tech or weekend warrior to help with valve adjust video.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003 | 11:42 AM
mada
Advanced

Post Need Tech or weekend warrior to help with valve adjust video.

I've been looking on the web everywhere for online streaming videos of p-car maint jobs. After looking under every rock, and speaking to some industry honchos, I've learned that they don't exist.

There is a really bad need for p-car do it yourself videos on the web. You can read all you want and look at all the tech manuals, but nothing can teach like a video.

I am going to adjust my own valves and figured that this would be a good place to start. I am a web develper and will shoot, edit and publish the video to the web. I just need someone who knows what they are doing to assist in the process to make sure the info we put on the web is accurate and easy to follow. I have ordered everything necessary for the job.

I live near Atlantic City and would be doing the work to my own car, a 1982 SC. I figure the popularity of the videos would dictate if more would come as a result from the project.

If anyone is interested in helping with the project, please post here and let me know!
Old 03-03-2003 | 02:17 PM
Bushrod
6th Gear

Sounds like fun. Email me.

mfbarnes@vcu.edu
Old 03-03-2003 | 05:18 PM
catuck
Advanced

I'm interested! I'm swapping out my 2.7 for a 3.2 in a couple of weeks. I have a digital video camera, and would love to document the process. All I need is an expert to help guide the way!
Old 03-03-2003 | 08:08 PM
mada
Advanced

I was really hoping to stay local for the first video. Highly unlikely that 1 shoot will result in a clear video. What is most likely to happen is short "pieces" of the job being shot, edited and published.

Consistency would be another factor. The videos will need to be setup in similar fashion.

Really would be best to have someone local, at least for the first crack.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone is in the area who is interesed please let me know!
Old 03-04-2003 | 10:51 AM
Charlie Stylianos
Advanced

Mada,

If we are local enough VA/MD/DC, check out our local board and post. Sure you'll get some takers

<a href="http://www.dorkiphus.com/porsche" target="_blank">http://www.dorkiphus.com/porsche</a>
Old 03-04-2003 | 05:08 PM
mada
Advanced

Thanks Charlie, do you have any South Jersey people?
Old 03-04-2003 | 06:03 PM
axl911
Drifting

Thumbing through the Performance Product catalog, I see that they sell a tune up video for $40.
Old 03-04-2003 | 07:51 PM
BoyT-911
Advanced

Mada,
The snow is slowly melting in our area and I'm eager to get the car out from hybernation. If you need help doing your valve adjustment send me a PM and we'll schedule it. Just glad to help fellow 911 owner......
Old 03-05-2003 | 12:12 AM
ANTISEIZE
4th Gear

Mr. Mada, will you be paying?
Old 03-05-2003 | 11:06 AM
mada
Advanced

Antiseize...

I see where you are going with the above statement. I guess I would be skeptical too. Seems very self-serving. (Who wants to paint the fence and mow the lawn? I'll video tape the event and put it on the web!) It's a valid post you got there.

However, a valve adjustment for my 911 would run about 200 bucks at the local p-car shop. What I am proposing to do is going to take a whole lot of time, effort and expense. Much cheaper to send the car to the wrench and pay if my goal was just to get a valve adjustment.

I do feel strongly about the need for this media on the web. It's the most requested tech article on Pelican, and very intimidating for most first timers and beginners.

Paying someone to do the valve adjustment was not part of my plan. I was confident that someone would have a similar interest in the project.
Old 03-05-2003 | 04:17 PM
Charlie Stylianos
Advanced

Mada,

Most of the members are from the DC Metro area, although few other are scattered about further away. Best to post and see who chimes in. Hint: mention beer and food. Also, if you make the drive down, someone may be willing to offer garage space for the project, but the engine needs to be DEAD cold prior to valve adjust.

-Charlie

Quick Reply: Need Tech or weekend warrior to help with valve adjust video.