Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Opinion need on 1976 911

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
A terrible car, maybe not. ...a nice car,maybe not...a collector/investment car, no. Way overpriced. Should have just left the car alone. Seems like we saw this car with a 912E motor in it in another thread, no?
For the purist or someone who wants a straight, clean, honest '70's 911, then I agree, this car is not for them.

However, if someone DOES want a bright orange, chrome Fuchs car, then it's probalby cheaper to buy this one, fix it's issues than to find a '76 tub, add flairs and all the other stuff needed to make it into a Turbo look.

Originally Posted by whalebird
Finally, a 76 widebody with a 3.0 and polished fuchs in a lovely shade of orange. Wow a kenwood deck for that 80s feel.
My point was simply that someone gave some thought to the interior of this car and instead of splashing aluminum bits and carbon fiber all over the place in an '80's looking car, they stuck with period correct stuff.

Yeah Whalebird, the Kenwood cassette is junk and we all know that, but from a visual standpoint, it fits in verses some flashy new neon equipped DVD player.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:29 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do get your point.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

For a car built in 1975, there has been quite a bit done to it to make it far better than what was offered in 1976. But they didn't go that far. For example, in 1977 Porsche began to add a brake booster to these cars, and thus the 1976 is still the older style--and thus, a bit weak in that area. It's a bit of a Frankenstein car in that it has the new steel flairs along with a 1984 and later front air dam. The problem with cars like this with a fresh paint job is that only over time will you discover whether they did all the right preparation prior to the color coat. If they cut corners in places you make find rust and other issues showing up where the prep was inadequate. You only find that out later. This is a 1976 car so there is some degree of galvanized sheet metal on it--but remember that zinc is compromised over the years. It's essentially way past its capability to prevent rust, so watch out. On the plus side, as pointed out, no one screwed up the interior much.

The 1978 and up 911SC engine (as installed therein) was a far superior engine to the stock 2.7 liter 1976 engine with the magnesium case. Those were disasters.

Some important details were skipped. Like where is the factory fog light switch? The car has fog lights, but the usual switch position, which is difficult to retrofit into, was skipped, and some kluge job was probably done, putting it elsewhere.

The right door fitment is a big issue to me. It is way too much to the rear. It is bad. I would only imagine the car was trashed in an accident and restored into this.

With the electric seats (not found in 1976) I would like to know if these actually work.

The engine appears to lack the post 1984 oil fed chain tensioners. This is a relatively inexpensive mod that this car should have. (The photos are not clear). But that tells me something by them being missing.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:35 PM
whalebird
Race Car

thanks edgy...you make my point without the sarcasm.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Whalebird, I'm sorry if I came across as sarcastic. Text on the internet is so "flat" and can be taken different ways when you remove the human interaction of speaking. I was hoping to add a counterpoint to this thread and my previous text was not well worded.

As usual, Edgy is on the money with what this car is missing and especially what may show up with regards to that paint over time.

I do think that most of these old 911 tubs that are converted came from wrecked cars. Flares are bolted on to twisted tubs and nothing really lines up well like a factory car. Where the heck do you stop in the "restoration" or changing of the car from a basic 911/912 to an orange 930 look before you get completely underwater on such a project...? Hence all the issue we are seeing on this car. I still think that if it runs and drives like a '76 in good running order, it's an O.K. 911 if you like bright orange with flares.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:18 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Jay, no, no no. I meant MY sarcasm. You offered a valid counterpoint and I responded with a sarcastic quip. For the sake of the forum, I should just say that it's not my cup of tea. We do see a lot of these types of cars and they are held up here on Rennlist as examples of what not to do, or buy. I mean no disrespect and your point is well taken. Below the surface of this particular car, well, it may have good "bones". No way to tell.

All my best.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:27 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

First thought when I saw it was wow, I like the odd colors but the price was way high. After looking at the responses, when I jump in to an early 911, I will post up here to get every ones opinion.

Some really good eyes over here.

Quick Reply: Opinion need on 1976 911