Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

early 911 VIN number help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:22 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zois, you posted unclear info, I expounded for the sake of clarity.
You then misread my correction, in which I referred to the op's model, the 911, not the Boxster.
I am sarcastic by nature, just as some people are thin-skinned & don't like to be corrected.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:35 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Henry. It would be very prudent to have an experienced Porsche shop look at your car. Not a dealer, but a shop that is very experienced in the early 911 cars. Obviously, there is a lot to know about them, and they can be expensive to sort out if they need sorting. Furthermore, there has been a fervor of interest in these cars as investments. So, everyone that has a pre-73 car thinks its worth a fortune and some people will throw an old rusted lump together with a fresh coat of paint and ask a mint for it. BE CAREFUL.
That said, there is nothing more satisfying than an early 911 in fine tune. They are a total joy to own and drive.
Again: be careful, get that pre purchase inspection done, move slowly and cautiously.
If you don't mind, give us a little info: color, coupe/targa? etc.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:03 PM
henry959
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my main concern would be more of the rust issue then having to rebuild the engine. its a 911E coupe .. silver. I don't know what else you would need over the net if you cant physically see the car...
I am not leaning towards investment, its more like towards driving a true 911 not the 997 or the 996s that are dime a dozen. I have been chasing an early car for over 8 years now and have had plenty things going in and out of my life to not focus and find a really nice car.
Anywho, should be acquiring the car shortly and well see what parts and what other work will be needed.

thanks
Old 10-05-2010, 04:42 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck.
Keep us updated, and some pictures when the deal is done.

Quick Reply: early 911 VIN number help