Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

OT. Building workbench. Wood or metal? Update: Metal bench done

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT. Building workbench. Wood or metal? Update: Metal bench done

I'm thinking I'm going to build a small bench for some more workspace and a place to mount a vise. Dimensions probably 5 ft by 2 ft. I've only worked on wood benches, but now that I have a welder I have the option of making it out of metal.

Just seeking thoughts and commentary from your experiences. This is definitely not an ultimate workbench build. Just a simple flat top. Probably open underneath for stowing large items, or I might incorporate a shelf underneath.

I think I'm looking for reasons that I shouldn't use metal. Advantages for metal that I can think of: chemical, scratch, heat resistance, easy to weld on custom brackets or holders for specific items in the future, might double as a conductive welding table, fun welding project...

I could also mix material. Wood frame/metal work surface or vice versa.

Or maybe I should just go to Sears and buy one of theirs. I haven't actually priced materials to see how my cost would compare. Thoughts?

Brett

Last edited by Brett San Diego; 10-23-2010 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built a couple benches and I like wood, with heavy chip board on the top covered with sheet metal.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:53 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

I like the metal frames.

If it's going in a position where you can weld without fear of sparks and grinding dust, (grinding and welding go together) flying around, I'd do a metal top. If not, very thick timber.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,162 Likes on 833 Posts

metal .. for sure .. then you won't lose your magnets and easier to clean ..
Old 09-29-2010, 08:30 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have built half dozen wooden benchs, thay are all still in use - in productive shops after years of use. I get the Simpson metal braces from the big home stores and frame them with wood. I use the brace at the corners for a 4x4 leg, and the top/shelfs are 2x4. The one I am using in my shop now is using the said brakets and solid white oak for the structure instead of crappy pine (which works very well). The top is 3/4 plywood and can be removed/replaced. You can custom size them as well. Mine is 6ft x 2 ft. Others I have made were 3ft wide and much nicer as a work surface. 2ft is quite shallow. I'll have to get some photos, but the shop is a mile away and its raining, I will snap some asap.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Left Coast
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 7'x3' wood one that my brother built for me 15 years ago & while I'd hate to have it ignite with all the crap that's been spilled on it, truth is it's never let me down! If I was doing it all over I'd top it with metal because then you could wipe it down easy.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:14 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's just something warm about working on a traditional 2 shelf wooden workbench. I think the material used is probably less important in the end though, than other stuff like lighting, space, organization, power outlets, etc.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:36 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

You can never have enough benches.

I have 8 work benches in my tiny two-car garage. Three are steel and five are wood. I made them all.

With no 911:

I have one welding bench that folds down from the wall (and a woodworking one that folds down, too).

Up:

Down:

Here's another view. The bench with the vise on it has an inch-thick top. Moving it into place was a pain in the neck.

The butcher-block for the bench in the center came from Ikea. The one in the back is a solid-core door. I used a roll bender to bend the lateral support for the butcher-block-topped bench at the opening of the garage.

Did I mention I like benches?

And yes, the garage gets dirty. Last month, we swapped a different engine into the 911:

Old 09-29-2010, 11:51 PM
Tango635
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an 8' L x 3' wide work table from Costco for $200. It has a metal frame and the table top is hickory at least 3/4" thick. I figured it would cost me much more to build something like that. Now I have a bunch of power equipment on it....so not sure what the point of that was?!?!? IN other words, my garage looks at LEAST 3 magnitudes more cluttered than Jack Olsens.. I need a bigger garage.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Every time I see pics of Jack's garage I look for a barista and want to order a Venti Americano.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I miss my 36" X 96" wood workbench I had in Texas. It was just too big to move.

I went the easy route when we moved back to Calif and went with a Gladiator bench which is quite heavy, sturdy and solid, but that was only for convenience as I wanted to get my garage secured quickly. Not the same as building a bench, which allows customization and the reward when done.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:33 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
You can never have enough benches.

I have 8 work benches in my tiny two-car garage.
Agree with that. Tiny two-car garage here, too. My problem is that I'm going to need to always park two cars inside. At least they're both Porsches, so I'm not complaining. Otherwise, I'd love to dedicate one bay to a workspace. I was thinking about a fold down bench like you have. Yours are brilliant, but not sure if it would work for me. I couldn't park the car inside when the bench is down and covered with parts for days (or more) at a time.

Thanks for the comments. Couple of you have me rethinking wood. I'll have to check out the braces mentioned. Maybe a nice sturdy wood frame with a slab of metal on top.

Brett
Old 10-13-2010, 03:45 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

More OT. I've got a lot of OT to go through to get my garage sorted before I can get back on topic with dropping the engine of the 911 for head stud replacement. LOL

Just some pics of progress on the bench. I settled on my original metal bench thought. I've already got a small pre-fab formica-topped wooden bench stuck on one wall. After surfing the web and seeing all the ingenuity displayed by guys who built their own welding tables, I decided I had to do metal. It's also very good and very necessary welding practice. I love this welding thing. Everyone should try it. LOL

The bench will go on the other side of the 356 where the bike is. The grey slab is the 1/4 in plate top.

The 911 awaits attention. It's been sitting 2 years. It's a little dusty.

Brett
Old 10-13-2010, 04:45 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Oh.

My.

God.

Finally......finally someone else other than me with Porsche projects in limbo or indefinite hold, with a man cave that actually looks like a cave, not something out of Better Homes and Even Better Garages.

Brett, you made my week.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:14 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
Oh.

My.

God.

Finally......finally someone else other than me with Porsche projects in limbo or indefinite hold, with a man cave that actually looks like a cave, not something out of Better Homes and Even Better Garages.

Brett, you made my week.
I agree

I cheated on one of my work benches, picked up a used wrought iron fish tank stand for free to use as a base. Since it was used to hold a heavy 60 gallon fish tank I figured it would be strong enough for my needs.

John

Quick Reply: OT. Building workbench. Wood or metal? Update: Metal bench done