Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

OT. Building workbench. Wood or metal? Update: Metal bench done

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 12:31 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chuck Yeager is one guy who's hand I would shake. We should give that guy the White House...dude will fly his own helicopter.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:02 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every year he used to open the Edwards Air Show by breaking the sound barrier in a F-15. I remember seeing Gen Yeager at the commisary the week of the air show at Edwards AFB in the late 90s. As we were taught, we would extend a verbal greeeting "Hi Sir" and keep on shopping.

BTW, this thread got hijacked...how about that bench!

Last edited by salukijac; 10-17-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salukijac
BTW, this thread got hijacked...how about that bench!
LOL Coming along. I was happily welding on the top plate this afternoon, when I ran out of frickin' gas. Gonna buy another tank so I have two small tanks around and always have a reserve in the future. Live and learn. Finished pics to come.

Brett
Old 10-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Mitch Leland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off I don't think most of us are going to be able to weld in our garages for safety reasons. I have to take that outside... Plus for a welding bench you need a very heavy steel top.

I've used two different tops on steel angle bases that I fabricated. And early bench I used 2X6's and then screwed down with no.4 flat head screws tempered Masonite with the smooth side up. I oiled/sealed the Masonite.

Another top that I'm presently using consists of 2 layers of 3/4" MDF bolted to the 2" angle iron frame then attached galvanized sheet metal to the MDF with contact cement.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mitch Leland
First off I don't think most of us are going to be able to weld in our garages for safety reasons. I have to take that outside... Plus for a welding bench you need a very heavy steel top.

I've used two different tops on steel angle bases that I fabricated. And early bench I used 2X6's and then screwed down with no.4 flat head screws tempered Masonite with the smooth side up. I oiled/sealed the Masonite.

Another top that I'm presently using consists of 2 layers of 3/4" MDF bolted to the 2" angle iron frame then attached galvanized sheet metal to the MDF with contact cement.
Just store combustibles in closed containers and keep several feet away, and I don't see the danger. Yes, if you're doing precision work and need an absolutely flat top that will stay absolutely flat, you should probably have at least a 3/4 in thick plate (and probably 1 in thick). I read people saying they had 1/2 in thick tops warping. I'm not planning on heavy duty or precision work with a 1/4 in plate. My 5'x2' top still weighs just over 100 lbs though.

Gluing a sheet metal skin to the wood is a nice idea.

Brett
Old 10-23-2010, 03:48 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Got the bench done and in place. I have to admit to giving myself a big pat on the back. LOL Sears may have been cheaper. Total cost was about $200. $140 for metal and around $60 in welding consumables and a couple cans of spray paint. Of course I bought new metal. A lot of people find good scrap to work with.

I even undertook my first welding project on it. I didn't want to just chuck the scraps, so they're now art for the time being. I call it "Crystalline."

Brett

Last edited by Brett San Diego; 10-23-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:04 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice table -- and nice art thing.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:28 AM
beentherebaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cute! But some people have WAY too much time on their hands...

Quick Reply: OT. Building workbench. Wood or metal? Update: Metal bench done