Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'84 3.2 Intermittent High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '84 3.2 Intermittent High Idle

Hey gang, looking for some suggestions. Every now and again (I seem to notice the car doing this after its been run for a while and its hot), when I push the clutch in to shift to another gear or into neutral to coast, the idle will get hung up (and doesn't change when I let the clutch out). The idle doesn't hunt/oscillate - but it will sometimes idle at 1.5K, sometimes 2K, sometimes 2.5K-ish RPMs (doesn't seem to be an exact pattern, again, no hunting/oscillation, it will be a consistent idle, just high) - but never higher than 2.5-3K. Sometimes if I blip the throttle, idle will return to normal, other times it won't. This issue doesn't happen all the time - in fact, rarely - but it happens.

Ran the car through a smoke test for vaccuum leaks - no issues evident - so that *shouldn't* be the problem. Also cleaned up/lubed and serviced the throttle body and ICV... I first suspected either a bad DME relay or maybe ICV...but after posting this in some other places and getting some suggestions - I think maybe the throttle linkages are somehow getting hung up intermittently?? The problem is going to be tough to track down b/c it doesn't happen on a predictable basis.

Anyone dealt with this before? Any suggestions? Thanks, Rick
Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

I had the same problem about 18 months ago. It was the ICV.

Have been experiencing it recently but only hanging up sometimes and only a few hundred rpm above idle...mostly slow to drop down from 2000 and below...checked out the throttle and it is sticking mechanically...getting it taken care of in early October...
Old 09-23-2010, 02:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can put a zip tie on the cruise control cable to keep it in place. Very common. Also make sure the idle switch is activated at closed throttle, and it does not hurt to clean out the icv off the car with some carb cleaner.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
I had the same problem about 18 months ago. It was the ICV.

Have been experiencing it recently but only hanging up sometimes and only a few hundred rpm above idle...mostly slow to drop down from 2000 and below...checked out the throttle and it is sticking mechanically...getting it taken care of in early October...
Regarding this comment, thanks...but I'm a bit confused - you had the problem, new ICV solved it, now its happening again??
Old 09-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

Sprayed the ICV and it solved the problem for 17 mos. Now the pedal is sticking mechanically...

Last edited by Pavegeno928; 09-23-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Just wanted to follow-up here b/c I finally got some time to address this issue. Since the weather has changed I started to get a rough idle when I start up (in addition to the intermittent high idle as posted here earlier).

I ordered a new ICV and swapped out the old one the night before the track time I had last week - so far, so good. It seems to have solved all the problems.

Weird as I remember seeing a post from Ed last week about his ICV from '84 crapping out on him as well after a 26 year service life.

Quick Reply: '84 3.2 Intermittent High Idle