Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

B&B Muffler dual out..what size tips on 89 911

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 01:26 PM
PDACPA
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Question B&B Muffler dual out..what size tips on 89 911

I am going to replace my stock muffler on my 89 911 Carrera with a B&B and convert from a single out to a dual out (shop will cut my valance).

What I want to know is what size and shape everyone is using for the tips. 3" or 4" , round or oval.

Pictures posted or emailed would be greatly appreciated.

Also, curious as to the sound. Is it much louder? Looking for a bit more throaty sound, small performance increase, and aggressive look.

thanks
Old 04-18-2002, 01:47 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts
3" is fine. 4" is ridiculous and you'll probably get a lot of people teasing you about it.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:58 PM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PDACPA, in regard to sound, VERY loud, I have a set and I'm putting out 94dB at the track. Stereo is now just a paperweight in the dash. Conversation between 2K and 3K not an option. That said, they do sound great but you only feel the power in the higher rev. ranges, 4.5K plus. I got them since I plan to club race and need all the power I can muster. I spoke with B&B and they said the dual out only gives you 3-4 hp at the rear wheels over the single out. I have the 3" tips and agree with steve w, the bigger ones will look silly. Have fun with them!!!

Cheers, James
Old 04-18-2002, 02:18 PM
PDACPA
Instructor

Thanks for the advice on the size. Others had recommended 3" also. Just have to decide on the oval or round.

But I am getting conflicting advice regarding the sound. This car is mostly used as a daily driver (few DE events and an autocross or two). So I want to make sure I can talk and hear the radio.

I am not getting the headers or the bypass straight pipe. I will retain my cat. Just replacing the muffler in the rear. Is that still going to be real loud?

Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:18 PM
James Achard
Pro

PDACPA, I can't say how yours is going to sound since I have the complete B&B system and no cat. Sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier.

Cheers, James
Old 04-18-2002, 05:02 PM
NOW UC IT
7th Gear

[quote]Originally posted by PDACPA:
<strong>I am going to replace my stock muffler on my 89 911 Carrera with a B&B and convert from a single out to a dual out (shop will cut my valance).

What I want to know is what size and shape everyone is using for the tips. 3" or 4" , round or oval.

Also, curious as to the sound. Is it much louder? Looking for a bit more throaty sound, small performance increase, and aggressive look.

thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 04-18-2002, 05:06 PM
NOW UC IT
7th Gear

[quote]Originally posted by PDACPA:
<strong>I am going to replace my stock muffler on my 89 911 Carrera with a B&B and convert from a single out to a dual out (shop will cut my valance).

thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have a 89 Carrera Targa and I have the B&B with the 3" inch tip and it looks great. It has a great throaty sound, some may think it's loud but I love that sound just adds to the wonderful sound the engine already makes. Go for it. You will not be diappointed.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:42 PM
Hugh
Advanced

I have the very same muffler you are thinking about buying - a B&B single in / dual out. I have the 3" tips. They look nice. But beware the sound! By your description ("a bit more throaty sound"), you are barking up the wrong tree with a B&B. Mine is INCREDIBLY loud. Huge resonance. Shakes the house, wakes the neighbors. I have to drive my speakers to distortion in order to hear the stereo, and conversation is not easy.

It seems like people have better luck sound-wise with GHL, Monty and Dansk dual-out mufflers. I wish I'd gone with one of those myself. I seriously doubt that anyone at B&B is a "Porsche person." If they were, they wouldn't make their mufflers sound like a @#(*$&@ Mustang.

Good luck,
Old 04-19-2002, 02:27 PM
PDACPA
Instructor

Lots of variation in the loudness part. I think I can agree with all on the 3".

Hugh, do you have just the muffler and stock headers and a cat?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2002, 04:44 PM
NOW UC IT
7th Gear

I have the single in and out. Maybe there is a diference in sound with the dual out. I'm running original heat exchangers and cat with a stage 2 chip and a K&N breather. The breather helps my low end power, the muffler mid range and the chip top end. So I have power across the board. I never heard a mustang sound like my car so it may be the dual outlets.

89 Carrera Targa
Old 04-19-2002, 08:23 PM
Carrera Steve
Intermediate

I too have the B&B single in, dual out (3"ovals) and would have to back up Hugh's comments.
I purchased it slightly used from a fellow who actually sent it back after installing it. WAY TOO LOUD! B&B offered to put some custom baffles in it and he agreed. Finally gave in to SSI's and I landed a practically new exhaust.
My impressions are that it is definitely louder than most people admit to. That said, this is not neccessarily a bad thing. The sound at idle is really very agressive. Especially when starting up the car...explodes to life like a race engine. I run mine with a by-pass pipe, so it is even louder, but with the cat in place, it was pretty mellow. Under load, my mechanic thinks it sounds like a 928S4! Very sporty sound. I swear it does sound like a V-8.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-20-2002, 12:05 AM
Hugh
Advanced

I do have a cat bypass. Haven't put the cat back in since the B&B went in, so I can't give you any impressions there.

Cheers,
Old 04-20-2002, 12:59 AM
R. Santore
Instructor

uh oh

i am awaiting my car back with a similar setup.. 3.0 turbo with B&B header and dual 4" out.. does it really look that oversized?? what would i need to do to swap to 3"s? also does it sound just like the 3.2, or will the turbo muffle it and quiet it a little??
Old 04-20-2002, 04:12 AM
ken louie
Instructor

I would have to agree with most of you. I currently have dual 4" on my 79 930 and boy is it loud!! If I had to do it all over again I probably would have purchased 4" single exhaust.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:47 PM
PDACPA
Instructor

Sounds like the sound level is relative to the driver's tolerance level. I was fairly convinced that without the headers and bypass of the cat, it would be louder but not obnoxious. I want the dual out for astethics and balanced look.

Anyone who has JUST the B&B muffler (all other exhaust components stock), please email or post. Would like to hear you views regarding the sound level.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: B&B Muffler dual out..what size tips on 89 911