Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

B&B Muffler dual out..what size tips on 89 911

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 05:43 PM
KLehmann
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PDACPA,

I have a single-in, single-out B&B muffler with a modified 4 in. tip (removed the rolled tip to expose the flared outlet) that used to be installed on my 87 Carrera. I did not think it was obnoxiously loud. Definitely not unbearable. I really liked it. Deep rumble that sounds really good when you'd accelerateor decelerate from higher rpms. Good rumble at idle too.

It's got some small leaks in the end cap from age (I believe it's from 1995-96) which causes some slight hissing under acceleration and that's why I removed it, and put the factory unit back on. I tried to get B&B to repair the end cap of the muffler but they wanted $400 for a new can altogether. That's just too much $$$ and not much standing behind one's product either. It's just sitting in my garage until I get around to having someone weld a patch on the end cap. It's not worth much of anything to me, so if you'd like to take it for a test drive be my guest?
Old 04-23-2002, 04:16 AM
ken louie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what I hear about b&b lack of customer support. Many people on the board complaint about their workmanship. At first they were very good about repairs but I guess they were getting alot of returns and decided started charging for them.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:55 PM
PDACPA
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Attached is a picture of a 911 Carrera with a B&B muffler. Can anyone identify the tip? Is it 3" or 4" ? Is that considered round or oval? Is it rolled?

Thanks. Trying to order mine today. Might just have to email it to them cause I like the look of this one.
Old 04-24-2002, 02:21 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts
PDACPA:
Look at the picture over the turbo above your last post. That is the 4" rolled tip. My dad has the full B&B setup on his 964 with the dual out muffler with 4" tips. A friend put the same set up on his SC. They are loud. The friends exact words were,"can't go cruising anymore because the car is too loud. This is coming from a guy who has a Harley "Fat Boy." The B&B is an awesome system (my dad's car is noticably quicker throughout the rev range. My friend said the same thing about his SC after the B&B was installed.

Another friend has just a B&B single out muffler on his 964. It is louder but doesn't have the resonance that the dual out muffler does. Plus he has the stock header/heat exchangers and a cat bypass. His car doesn't have the resonance problem that my dad's does. Dad's car is used primarily for track events and is only driven on the street every once in a while.

If you are going to use the car on the street more than on the track, I would recommend the single out muffler.
Old 04-24-2002, 03:44 PM
PDACPA
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is the picture that I meant to attach. I read the post about sound just above this one, but sounds like all of these cars have more than just a muffler mod. I am going to go with the B&B dual out and if the sound is unbearable for street driving, I will look into closing up one of the "outs" for street driving and then open it for DE and autox.

Was thinking this picture shows a 3" rolled tip?

Old 04-24-2002, 05:04 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts
PDACPA:
That looks like a 4" tip. Same size and shape as the tips on my dad's car and the same as the ones on my friend's SC. I think you are making the right decision. From a purely asthetic point of view, the dual out mufflers look much better.

Quick Reply: B&B Muffler dual out..what size tips on 89 911