Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Steering is loose and no longer precise

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010 | 12:13 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Default Steering is loose and no longer precise

I have searched the forum for an answer to this question but nobody seems to have had exactly the same type of issue. My front wheels seem to steer on their own. There seems to be enough play in the steering wheel when I turn it that the front wheels can move on their own until they contact with the steering column and my hand which are holding the wheel. Any ideas on where I should start looking?
Old 09-07-2010 | 01:21 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Steering rack? Your description is a little vague. When you turn the wheel either way, do the wheels move? If they move, how much slack is in the turning of the wheel? Are the tie rods secured properly?
Old 09-07-2010 | 01:34 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Whalebird had a great, thorough answer to steering questions as a follow up to one of Doyle's questions. Since I can't find it and can't duplicate it, I hope he answers.
All I can think of is maybe the steering rack is loose or worn.
Old 09-07-2010 | 01:55 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

I just went to the garage and turned the steering wheel while watching the wheels and the connection is instant. The second the steering wheel moves, the wheels respond in both directions yet yesterday on the highway at speed around corners, the car felt like I had no control over the steering at times.
Old 09-07-2010 | 02:34 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Go to the back of the car, and push sideways against the bumper with your shin while watching the wheel rim for movement. I'm thinking you might have a bad bearing.
Old 09-07-2010 | 03:26 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak
Go to the back of the car, and push sideways against the bumper with your shin while watching the wheel rim for movement. I'm thinking you might have a bad bearing.
Then jack the front end off the ground. Grab each front wheel at 3 and 9 and shake in and out, side to side. It it moves independent of the hub you have a loose bearing. You may have lost your break pads and rotors too. Ask me how I know.

**You can check ball joints by doing this with one wheel still on the ground. If one wheel holds still and you can get the other to move, you have too much play.
Old 09-07-2010 | 03:29 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

A dragging brake pad would cause havoc!

Yes, front bearings can go bad, absolutely! You'd probably hear or feel the hub clunking around on the spindle though. When front bearings get really loose, they wear the rotors into a bell-shaped cross-section, due to the rotor flopping around inside the caliper, which is fixed to the strut.
Old 09-07-2010 | 04:19 PM
whalebird
Race Car

My post in Dshepps thread is as follows:

Sorry for the delay shepp. Been busy(good). I would work my way inward to the rack with a focus on what you have already done - steering shaft. Also I would start at the struts - top mount(which I believe is where MUSS is going with his inquiry) bottom ball joints, shake the wheels (bearing play) from top/bottom. Then shake wheels from fr/rear while the key is in the ignition so as to not engage the steering lock and make the steeringwheel move a bit from side to side. See if you can DUPLICATE the problem. All this while on the ground. If no slop/wobble/clunk/crash is found, raise the car and see if it does it with the wheels off the ground. Do the fr/rear steering from the front(each side) tire with the wheels off the ground and look for (feel for) play. If yes, you very well may have an inner tie rod (turbo style) ball joint wear issue. If no, take a pair of fair sized channel lock pliers and expand them to squeeze the tie rod end(outer) from top (nut side) and bottom and look(feel) for play - replace. If nothing, take the sheet metal gaurd off(2 17mm bolts, 2 13mm bolts) and look at the rack, all of its mounting bolt/bushings and the area around the input steering shaft. You may have to pull the steering boots back and inspect the inner tie rods(turbo or non..)for wear. There is a cover plate - spring loaded that has a wear pad that holds pressure on the steering rack, but don't monkey with that until you eliminate the external variables.
One more easy thing. Next time your in the "bonnet", With the car on the ground, just touch the top of the strut rod inside the top strut mount and bounce the front up and down with your knee on the fr. bumper (spare your fenders the stress). See if you have any up/down play.
This seems so routine in my mind, but I don't articulate myself well on a computer. I will clarify myself if I can upon any questions you have. I like to think it's a normal wear and tear component.
let us know.
Old 09-07-2010 | 05:10 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

The Bird has flown!!!!!!1..Thanks!
Old 09-07-2010 | 05:25 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Sheppster...How's it going?? Been thinking about you bunches my friend. Resealed the rear hatch on the 924S Sunday and had a few favs:T4E, and S&A repeated continuosly as I labored with the hatch(I finally got impatient and gummed it all up, a C+ effort on a B- car). Lots going on here...I will PM you.
Oh and by the way...It's a GIRL!!!
Old 09-07-2010 | 05:33 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

WB - fantastic stuff!!!

And congratulations, you a Papa!!!
Old 09-07-2010 | 05:51 PM
whalebird
Race Car

well almost, will be on Jan. 17.
Old 09-07-2010 | 05:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Argh! Trying to send a pm on my cell phone. Congratulations!
Old 09-07-2010 | 06:41 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Yes,..congrats for sure, Bird. Hiope the Wife's doing well. I'm so happy for you..

YES,..RUSH draws near!

Doyle
Old 09-07-2010 | 09:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Get the pink paint out!

I'd also check your tires for the symptoms you describe.

Quick Reply: Steering is loose and no longer precise