Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Noise when ignition turned on - relay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:46 AM
gdwprice
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise when ignition turned on - relay?

I've browsed the site for this with no success.

When I turn the ignition on my '88 3.2 I get a noise like a fan but no fans are running. When I went looking I found it to be a relay(I think?) which lives behind one of the hood struts, effectively right behind the gauges on the dashboard. There's 3 of them there and the middle one is vibrating furiously - any ideas? Is this normal?
Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That might be the ignition buzzer. Sorry I don't know the actual name but I'm not being a wisenheimer. There really is a buzzer back there.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:31 AM
gdwprice
Advanced

I've since discovered it's the "seat belt" relay. It doesn't stop buzzing when I plug the belt in though. . . .
Old 08-23-2010, 06:02 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard a relay that even remotely "sounds" like a fan,..interesting.

In post #3, it now sounds like a buzzer.....interesting

A colorfully sounding relay, eh?

The Bentley shows a set of "buzzer" contacts in the ignition switch (black wire that feeds the clock on one side,..and a VIOLET wire from the seat belt switching). Several things could cause this buzzer to sound (as you know).....check those door switches for sure. Reseat that relay, for starters. Is the seat belt light still on after engaging the seat belts?

Is this BUZZER located within the relay, Rusnak? Never really paid attention other than to intuitively listen CLOSELY to how my buzzer sounds with the doors open (intonation and sustain), from which I can tell if my switches are wearing. How's that for use of the ears for Porsche preventative maintenance....?

Best,
Old 08-23-2010, 06:18 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never really delved into it, but there is a buzzer behind the fuel gauge, near the turn signal relay. If you unplug it, no more buzzer. It might be the seatbelt buzzer, as referenced already. It starts buzzing when you turn on the key, and shuts off after about 5 seconds. I have no sensor in my seat belts, so there is no way the car would know whether I have buckled in or not.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My print shows sensing for this part of the circuit (and I'm curious as to the PO's (wrench's) approach to silence this thing after a few seconds.

Is it the SAME buzzing one hears when having the door(s) open? (i.e., door open BUZZER,...is it like the SEAT BELT NOT FASTENED BUZZER?)

Damn Rusnak,..I would, too, run from earthy women on steroids................

You funny..........

Doyle
Old 08-23-2010, 08:37 PM
gdwprice
Advanced

Mine too starts buzzing agter the ignition is turned on but does not stop. I don't think there's any wires in my seat belt holder to tell it to stop either. I'll take another look.

Quick Reply: Noise when ignition turned on - relay?