Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

good sounding muffler .... suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 05:09 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post good sounding muffler .... suggestions???

hey, i have a 78 3.0 with a race, cat pipe. i'd like to add a good sounding dual outlet muffler.

if you have any experience/ideas on a non obnoxious,non interior deafening muffler i'd like to hear them.

if you have any sound bytes send them. thanks
Old 02-28-2003, 05:51 PM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
talk about a popular topic -

Pelican is talking about it once a week. If you don't want to spend the money on a bolt - in piece then get a Flowmaster or Walker Dynomax installed.

<a href="http://forums.pelicanparts.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=225396&sortby=lastpost&sortord er=descending" target="_blank">http://forums.pelicanparts.com/search.php?s=&action=showre sults&searchid=225396&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending</a>

Yesterday installed a Flowmaster but opted for the single out. Sounds raspy, no drone in the interior. Car seems to pull harder too. Was hoping for something with a bit more rumble at idle, may try the Dynomax next. Most like the Flowmasters though esp. when you're on it.

Most do the Flowmaster for a 82 -92 V-8 Camaro (has dual outs) I did P/N 52580 (Roush Mustang) to get the single out. Obviously not a bolt in, but it's only 1/3rd the cost of a real "porsche" muffler.

rjp
Old 02-28-2003, 09:04 PM
Porschephanatic
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Sounds like your're looking for a single-inlet/dual-outlet muffler to bolt to your cat by-pass pipe. When I was shopping around for one, none were readily available. I had to go to SSI's and Dansk dual-in/dual-out. The Dansk I purchased is very loud. Too loud for most folks.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:18 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I like Monty or Dansk, both are stainless.

Richard
87 Carrera-3.6L (Dansk dual in/dual out)
Old 03-01-2003, 02:17 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
I've had several, and my favorite, by far, was my $60 Flowmaster. I had the single-in dual-out, and I hope to one day put in a dual-in, dual-out with my B&B headers.

Not quiet, but nice. Mine had a very menacing idle rumble, but the larger displacement might explain that.
Old 03-01-2003, 03:17 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
On my 3.0 SC I have tried Monty with single very large outlet, SSI's with a B&B, SSI's with a Bursch, SSI's with triple glass pack Bursch, SSI's with twin Supertrapps, back to original exchangers and stock muffler, original exchangers and Borla single outlet, original exchangers and Borla 2 outlet, original exchangers and Dansk, and now run original exchangers, cat bypass pipe and gutted factory muffler. I also must note that with every combination using the original exchangers, a cat bypass was used. My next muffler will be a gutted stainless Dansk for the longevity. I tried a few others too, but they weren't the best choice in my opinion. So I won't even mention them. But in the end, I tried plenty. I heard plenty too. To most people, any sort of noise is nice if not too intrusive. Then again, those same people can't tell the difference in sound between an Alfa F1 motor and a Cosworth DFV. To them it's all nice. I, on the other hand, am quite picky. I don't care how loud or how quiet it is, as long as the sound itself is right.

So what do I feel had the best sound quality? That is subjective. I tend to prefer deep sound instead high pitched sounds. In other words, I like a 3.0 to sound like a 4.0 instead of a 2.0. Keeping that in mind, here is what I think after using all of the combinations above. The best sound was the Monty when used with the bypass. It sounded very close to a 930 with a free flow muffler with the only exception being the missing turbo sound. A very close second was the two different Borlas. I don't care for one or two outlets when there is only one inlet. I find the sound and performance too close to start hacking at the valence. The Dansk sounded very good too and it, of course, had the absolute best fit since it is shaped just like the factory unit. Another thing I noticed was that I was never satisfied with the sound out of SSI's. It sounded too much like a twin outlet exchanger 2.7 with no matter what I tried. While I love that particular sound, I wanted something deeper in my car. I must note however that the SSI's when running no muffler sound great. Like an RSR 2.8, 3.0 or greater since they basically run the same setup. But that is too loud for the street. What I currently run is maybe a hair too loud for the street, but with care around cops I have not been pulled over yet.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Bruiser
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After reading all of these posts, I am also confused. I have an '88 911 stock and I want to replace the muffler and leave everything else alone. Do I need a single or dula inlet?
Thanks
Old 03-01-2003, 04:20 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Bruiser,

Since you don't want to touch anything else, a dual inlet / single outlet is the way to go for you. Dual outlet would require some modification (cutting) on the right-side rear valance.

As Ed Bighi mentioned, the nice thing about the Dansk is that it fits right on there like OEM. Before my current set up, I had the Dansk dual in/single out. Nice sound; however, I have to agree with Ed on the Monty (for single outlet) for a nice sounding (a little loud) muffler.

Also, on the economical side, some guys have reported good success with simply "gutting" the OEM muffler (which, I am told, is stainless steel by the way). Even if you go with a new after market muffler, if you have the room, you should hold onto your original muffler.

Richard
'87 Carrera-3.6L
Old 03-01-2003, 07:12 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

A flowmaster? I wouldnt have even thought of that...

I too am passively shopping around for a muffler. Im not sure I want to go all out with headers, but I assumed putting a flowmaster on a P-car would be "wrong." Ill have to give it some thought...

Anyone got any sound clips?
Old 03-01-2003, 09:18 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richard,
Actually I think that a stock '88 would have single inlet/single outlet. Aren't both exhaust banks plumbed to a single cat, and then to the muffler? I'm pretty sure that all the U.S. 3.2 cars are plumbed the same. I just looked under my stock '85, and that's what I saw, unless I'm mistaken.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:22 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
<a href="http://bender.annenberg.edu/pelican/leland.mpg" target="_blank">Flowmaster on an SC</a>

<a href="http://bender.annenberg.edu/pelican/markwilson/flowmaster%20sounds.WMV" target="_blank">Or here, on another SC</a>
Old 03-02-2003, 09:59 AM
bship
Intermediate

I installed a flowmaster and my wife thought it was a little to loud especially with a gutted cat so I had some baffles fabricated that slide into the stainless steel tips with self tapping bolts, this created a nice mellow rumble. When I want it roaring a wrench and about 2 mins and there out. The baffle basically reduced the exhaust opening down to about the size of a quarter on both pipes. Labor, flowmaster and stainless tips for @$300. I love the sound!!!!
Old 03-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

bship - your flowmaster is a dual out then? How did you go about cutting the right side rear valence?

Did you notice any "butt dyno" improvement in response or driveability?
Old 03-02-2003, 06:23 PM
bship
Intermediate

Yes its a single in dual out. I removed my rear valence which was real easy, 4 or 5 screws maybe underside of bumper. I then cut it my self with a hacksaw with a slight curve to somewhat match the otherside. I believe I gained a few horses and it also revs faster. I feel like the real gains are at the top end. This could all be a figment of my imagination because I haven't dynoed it. But it sounds mean as hell when you stick your foot in it!!! Deep rumble with a nice Porsche wrrrr..... if you know what I mean!
I think it sounds as good and maybe better than a lot of the high price mufflers.

Good Luck
Old 03-03-2003, 04:16 AM
KWIQSLVR
2nd Gear

How exactly do you "gut" the stock muffler?
thanks.

Quick Reply: good sounding muffler .... suggestions???