Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 05:57 PM
reynoldsvandal
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Speakers

I just installed a new Kenwood radio/cd player in an 81 SC.
All speakers were replaced but I'm still unhappy with a "tinny" sound. Any suggestions?
Has anyone used the Moch speaker modification or anything like it?
Old 02-27-2003, 06:59 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Kenwood mosfet 4 channnel amplifier...

12 volt battery voltage just won't do the job.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:52 PM
arerrac
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB Quartz. They make a nice set w/crossovers (go in door pockets) and the speakers that fit in the original openings in the doors. The upper small speaker and the lower speaker. Looks stock if you re-use your original grills. Also, if you car didn't come with the small upper speakers, make sure you remove the round piece of vinyl that cover the INSIDE of the grill to prevent drafts from the door. I inadvertently left mine in and it sounded very poor. Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:18 PM
Teutonics
Intermediate

8" Bazooka amplified subwoofer.... fits somewhat well behind the passenger seat on the floor (doesn't bounce or slide around). It makes a HUGE difference! A great complement to the Alpine CD head unit and Infinity Kappa speakers in my car.

I hooked it up with quick-disconnect plugs so it can easily be removed for "spirited" driving events.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:21 AM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2nd the vote for MB quarts -

Did the 160.2 co-ax's (not the discus series) Rod Birch 2 x8" carpeted sub panel and an mtx 6304 (?) 4 ch. amp with crossover under the driver's seat driving everything. Plays well under regular use and doesn't intrude on the interior. Although the amp plays well, if you really want to play loud buy stronger amps - but that means more intrusion on the car. If you're not that specific on sound, just by the Quarts and a decent 50x2 brand name amp and be done with it.

Also, don't bother with the rear speakers, all it'll do is mess up the sound quality / imaging.

rjp
Old 02-28-2003, 09:27 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
More Power!

The 911 is a tough sound environment as it is.

1) You will need an amp to properly drive any good aftermarket speakers. Do not be stuck on brand, any "good quality" unit will do. Wattage dictated by the demands of the speakers that you use(d).

2) You will need bigger speakers to get a real bass. Sub(s) are the way to go.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:27 PM
Brian911
Advanced

here is my take. I have a Kenwood deck (older model) and MB Quarts in the front, sony explodes in the rear and a bazooka tube on the floor. The guy that had the car before me had a hack put it all in. He made a crappy amp deck in the trunk which I took out last weekend. I do know a little bit because my friend owns a car stereo store. Kenwood decks are great. They last forever. My girlfriend just got the best one (non-Exolon)(spelling?) My MB quarts suck. I will not go through them again. If you can get the Exelon speakers those are awesome. They will make anything sound good. Little more pricey but well worth it. The bazooka tube is just lame in my mind. My friend an I are going to construct a custome box to go on the floor just like the one on imagineauto.com( I think that is the site). Oh ya the sony explode speakers are really crisp.
Now to amp selection. Kenwood V-series. All that needs to be said. If you can affford it, the regular speakes off one amp and the base of the other. Trust me a world of difference. Mount the amps and especially a crossover in the trunk and you will be good to go. Sorry for the long post, just had to add my .02
Old 03-01-2003, 01:38 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Kenwood WooX powered subwoofer; fits perfectly on the floor in back. You wouldn't think you'd get much bass out of this, but believe me, it's more than enough.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:23 PM
reynoldsvandal
2nd Gear

Good info. from one and all. I'm not much of an audiophile so a lot of this stuff is greek to me but I'm sure a decent stereo shop will know what it all is.
One question please. Someone alluded to mounting a SET of speakers in each door? Is there room for them and are to holes already cut in the sheet metal? I'm assuming that if all the above is so, I'd have to have an additional whole cut in the upholstery, right?

I don't need a concert hall but If I spend a grand on a unit, it should at least sound as good as my kids Barney radio.
Thanks very much
Old 03-03-2003, 04:40 AM
KWIQSLVR
2nd Gear

I've got a Pioneer Premier head unit with infinity kappa speakers all around and two kappa perfect ten inch subs where the rear seats used to be. I use two JBL amps for power with a one farad capacitor in the trunk. For the money I think Infinity speakers are the clearest, best sounding out there. What I did with the front speakers, which are components (separate woofer and tweeter with a crossover) was mount the woofer in the stock location, put the crossover in the door pocket and yes, there is a cutout for the tweeter in the doorpanel, but you'll have to make a small cut in the covering material to actually mount the tweeter.

Quick Reply: Speakers