Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

trailering a 911 on a U-Haul trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 04:12 PM
DTFASTBEAR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post trailering a 911 on a U-Haul trailer

I want to trailer my '86 911 Cab to an upcoming autocross and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a U-Haul car transport trailer?

I am worried about the angle of the loading ramps. Will my spoiler scrape when trying to load the car? Also, I am wondering if the car will "high center" once the front wheels get onto the bed of the trailer and the rear wheels are still on the ramp. For that matter, since towing guidelines say put 60% of the weight on the front of the trailer, should I be backing on to it?

If those angles are going to be a problem, what solutions might there be? 2x4's under the load ramps to decrease the angle of attack?

Any towing experiences that you can share is appreciated!!

Dean

[ 10-06-2001: Message edited by: Dean Thomas ]
Old 06-10-2001, 07:02 PM
adam...
AutoX

From the angle standpoint, get some 2x8s (or wider; wide is easier than narrow when navigating a ramp) and cut them different lengths and nail/screw them together to form several small steps. Put the uhaul ramp on the top step (while it is connected to the tow vehicle with a correct size ball) and you should be good to go. The further you put the steps apart and higher the step ramp the smaller the overall ramp angle. As to backing it on...I have never towed a Porsche so I do not know but usually you can move a small car forward enough to get the tongue weight correct.

Adam

Another idea I just thought of concerning the "high center" (if I am correct in what that means) is to put some 2x4,6,8,whatevers under the rear portion of the ramp to keep the front of the ramp from launching upwards.
Old 06-10-2001, 07:12 PM
DTFASTBEAR
Instructor

Thanks for the advice, Adam. What you propose sounds like the easiest solution.

What I mean by "high center" is that I think the bottom of the car might scrape on the top of the ramps (or the back of the trailer bed - where the two connect). The term comes from off-roading when a 4x4 clears a sharp rise and the center of the truck gets stuck on the crest of the hill, effectively taking all 4 wheels off the ground.

If I reduce the angle of the loading ramps using the planks as you mention, then this should be no problem at all.

Thanks, Dean
Old 06-10-2001, 10:10 PM
Pat 87 Carrera Coupe
4th Gear

Thumbs up

I towed a 1987 Carrera Coupe from Syracuse to my home in Westchester county NY (about 5 hours) using a UHaul autotransport trailer. I too had my concerns, particularly because I had just purchased the baby. Your concerns are valid but it worked okay for me. No scrapes or trouble once on the deck of trailer. Be sure to ratchet down the wheel harnesses. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2001, 04:31 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I regularly tow a 911 on a trailer that I own. Here's a few good tips.

1) get a hitch that basically keeps the trailer LEVEL when going down the road

2) when loading, drive your tow vehicle rear tires up onto a 2x8...this provides a nice "tilt" to the trailer, effectively lowering the rear of the trailer for your relatively low front end of a 911

3) use the jack on the front of the trailer to jack up the rear of the tow vehicle/front of trailer - thus lowering the rear of the trailer even more...be careful not to jack up so high as to cause the rear wheels of your tow vehicle to come off the ground!

4) get two pieces of 2x4 that are at least the length of your wheelbase, (if shorter, when you drive your front wheels onto them and get towards the end closest to your ramps, the boards will pop up into your rocker panels, removing brackets that hold AC lines and such...huh, voice of experience on that one??)

5) basically any thing that lowers the rear of the trailer will certainly help, do not use too many board combos in regards to the ramps...this will only greaten the chance of damage to your car!

6) don't worry about "high centering" your 911, w/all the previous tips...that would be virtually impossible.

7) last...but certainly not least - HAVE YOUR EMERGENCY BRAKE ON (TOW VEHICLE) WHEN LOADING!! This can save you a catastrophe or two...no personal experience, but have seen the results!

Hope all of this helps, if you have more questions, let me know...I am getting set for a DE on June 22nd-24th and will be loading up my 964 for it's debut at the track...have a digital camera and would be more than happy to provide some "procedural" documentation.

Email me personally if you are interested.
Old 06-11-2001, 04:33 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Forgot to mention, in no way should you back your 911 onto a trailor...the engine would provide too much weight on the tongue of the hitch.

A 911 on a trailer should be positioned about 8-12" closer to the front of the trailer than a normal front engine vehicle...hope that makes sense!
Old 06-11-2001, 10:09 AM
DTFASTBEAR
Instructor

Jeff,

Thanks for the great information! I'll be loading up my car on the 22nd also, so we'll be loading at the same time. No need to provide photos, although I certainly appreciate the offer. Your advice is pretty clear.

One more thing, all the things I have read regarding towing have said to keep the emergency brake on but keep the car OUT OF GEAR (the car ON the trailer, that is). This might be common sense, but it is a good reminder. Otherwise, all the little forward and backward movements will be moving you engine.

Thanks again,

Dean

Quick Reply: trailering a 911 on a U-Haul trailer