Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Stuff to do with the engine out

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by S. Carver
That slightly polished metal is the best I've seen the fan look. Looks great!
I too really think the silverish coloring looks best. I've seen some flashy fans, in fact mine was red once upon a time. Used to like them, but have toned down my thoughts.

Mine got ceramic coating a couple of years ago:
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

That slightly polished metal is the best I've seen the fan look. Looks great!
You obviously have superior taste. Yeah, I could've gone to the 'chrome' polished look, but never really liked that. Plus, it wouldn't 'match' anything else in there. Left it 'satin' finished, and did semi-gloss clear on that.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I too really think the silverish coloring looks best. I've seen some flashy fans, in fact mine was red once upon a time. Used to like them, but have toned down my thoughts.

Mine got ceramic coating a couple of years ago:
The ceramic is that 'next step' - especially in that metal shade - that really sets it off. I'm way past reds and colors, but to each his own.

When I look at the pictures, I see areas I missed that the flash showed! Also, mine is not quite as shiny as it appears, again due to the flash.

Forgot to photo, but the engine compartment also got cleaned and cleared. Was kinda nasty.

Scary tip of the day: The hanging chad of a sound/heat pad had disintegrated and ALL SORTS of debris was inside the air box. I'm telling you, if yours is crumbling, that crap is just itching to ingest itself (through the air box or alt fan) to your engine. I know this is NOT news to this board, but I was surprised how much had been sucked through the snorkel.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You know Ed, I really have you to blame. I was pretty content in the BMW world until I started researching the ducktail. Ruby came up in Google's search and I was hooked. One of my earliest memories, getting caught up in the 911, was pictures of Ruby and her engine; the colors are subtle, clean, and sharp. Very nice!

Curse you Ed! Thank you Ed!

Haha! I will hold my head proud and tall today! I'll try and caress Ruby tonite as well.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Replace the oil temperature sender and install the new gauge with the actual temps on it. (It's located way in the back on top of the engine--impossible when installed).

Don't bother getting fancy with polishing the fan. In no time it will get dirty sucking filth through from the road.

Paint the valve covers (upper), but file off where the name PORSCHE is so that remains silver.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:03 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Default Update

Got a call today. Dealer says the engine is back in. All the gaskets, o rings, sending unit for dummy light in, valves reset, new plugs, and ONE cam line in. The other was too short for some reason, so I get to re-order that.

Can't wait to see it in place and eventually actually get to drive it!

Just wanted to say thanks for the input yet again.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:05 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
Good advice. The motor comes out sooo easy and it's a great opportunity to get things right. I second the clutch/main seals. get all the small stuff like clutch guide tube, pilot bearing, release shaft/bearings - even if you reuse the clutch pressure plate/disc. If you go with all new clutch, good time for a lightweight flywheel!!
I'm pricing out my clutch job and am on the fence whether to resurface or buy new. If I go w/new then who makes a good LW flywheel for the G50?
Old 08-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Please don't resurface. It's a 911. I'd go stock on the flywheel, but go with the lightweight Sachs clutch pack.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Ed. I found several other references pointing to going new vs. resurfaced. At this point, I'm looking at going back with stock components + the release arm update.... Then a ton of little things on the engine like seals and sensors, etc.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

how much does a flywheel run thee days ? ?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:32 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
how much does a flywheel run thee days ? ?

$450 - $500 USD..... About $1M Canadian
Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Re-reading this old thread with my 'new' M491 Carrera. Just had the engine dropped, put in the back of my Tundra - "Worlds only Porsche engined Toyota Truck!" - to clean it AND the grimy body up before having the dealer service and re-mate them.

Interestingly, my 'list' of things to do to the engine is strikingly similar to this one. These are relatively predictable cars. I had forgotten how much fun they are!

From the level of unattended filth, I have my work cut out for me. Let the games begin!
Attached Images     
Old 01-23-2014, 08:22 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 109 Posts

I will be taking mine out soon to clean, hope it doesn't turn into an engine build
Old 01-23-2014, 10:01 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
$450 - $500 USD..... About $1M Canadian
...oh how times have changed .....

i hear you are getting a new coin these days .. we have the loonie and toonie .. so now i hear you are getting one ..... the peso..
Old 01-23-2014, 01:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

id love to take mine out just to clean it .. but i worry i would get so distracted with other things i would end up missing a whole season of driving
Old 01-24-2014, 12:37 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Removed a bunch of stuff last night.
> Intake manifolds, including dropping a washer in the #1 cylinder. Thanks to my early training with the board game "Operation" I was able to extract.
> Alternator, fan and housing. Dropped the first two off at polisher this morning. Hopefully he'll come through as promised.
> Sheet metal shrouding. Wow, there's more of this stuff than you'd think.
> Lots of 10mm screws, nuts, of varying lengths too. Photos help, people.
> Blower motor
> AFM
> Stuff I can't name

Anyway, making progress on the quest for cleanliness. I will not get nearly as surgically clean and tidy as many of you, but it'll be as good as I can get it without going nuts, then off for service.

I noticed my plugs are the "+4" Boschs with the 4 prong thingy happening. Are these "RL Approved" or do I go conservative 'standard' plugs?
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Stuff to do with the engine out