Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The tale of one insane 911 motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:14 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Someone smart who's looking a rulebook (Spec 911) that's there to exploit. Funny how this gap in the rulebook that you could drive a train through basically came from the guy who wrote the rules, and wanted to benefit one of his cost-no-object customers. Said customer was gone from the series before this interpretation showed up. But who'd have thought that a ~265HP "stock" 3.0 would be what it takes to run anyplace above mid-pack.

In any case, what a nice engine and project!
Sounds like motorsports "business" to me. It's a rough business - rules are bought and sold daily. This post has subtle insight most would dare not mention.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:29 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
Sounds like motorsports "business" to me. It's a rough business - rules are bought and sold daily. This post has subtle insight most would dare not mention.
But this is an amateur series. Albeit, one that doesn't have any basis in a marque club, per se. Just a couple of guys (Masuo Robinson and Jeff Stevenson) who spearheaded buying run groups inside NASA, among other sanctioning bodies, to run wheel-to-wheel Porsche races when it was pretty obvious that PCA Club Racing had too much overhead.

Enter Spec 911. Somewhere along the way Rich Walton (co-owner of Jerry Woods Enterprises) comes up with a plan to have a class for not-so-modified 911s. More prepped than stock/prepared Club Racing cars (of which there really weren't any in Northern California), but not all-out like what you could do in the GT classes. So they set it up that you ran a "stock" engine, intake ports to exhaust ports. BUT the 2.7L was given a freebie on the intake system. Because Rich was building a car for a cost-no-object customer, coming into this new "spec" class??? Call me a conspiracy theorist........ Other engine options were a 3.0L, OK to run carbs. Later a 100% stock DME intake 3.2L was allowed. Now, did the rules ever explicitly allow fiddling with injection on 3.0L engines? I wasn't really paying attention at that time. But a _______ guarantee you no one ever envisioned a state-of-the-art individual throttle body system sitting underneath a stock (of whatever generation) 911 plenum. Gamroth figured it out, and it sure looks nice. And probably not that expensive in the overall scheme of things when you consider what a pain sourcing/running/maintaining some 46IDAs is these days.

Anyone with more insight/knowledge is free to correct my view from the sorta-outside.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:21 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd safely say that my question has been thoroughly answered.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:56 AM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw this car and had the pleasure of hearing the motor run when I was picking up my 964 at Rothsport and I can tell ya, it's all that and a bag of chips! The sound from the intake setup and the custom exhaust was truly hammer of the gods type stuff!

Congrats on an beautiful car and an amazing Gamrothian powerplant!

Last edited by Shamus964; 07-24-2010 at 04:25 AM.

Quick Reply: The tale of one insane 911 motor